THEGREAT30
    A man in need is a man exposed
    THEGREAT30's Avatar Become A Pro!

NBA Draft 2010

It's that time of year for teams to choose a new piece of there franchise. There is no doubt a huge effect on franchises that can be made with athletes drafted. There are some teams that will not be participating unless they are able to buy a pick. Bobcats, Cavs, and Nuggets don't currently have picks. Next, lets look at the effect these drafted players can have on teams by looking at the best of the best; the playoff teams.

Celtics vs Lakers

Celtics
    Ray Allen #5 overall
    Tony Allen # 25 overall
    Glen Davis #35 overall
    Garnett #5 overall
    Kendrick Perkins #27 overall
    Pierce #10 overall
    Rondo #21 overall
    Nate Robinson #21 overall
    Rasheed Wallace #4 overall

As we can see the Celtics definitely have drafted, traded for and picked up via free agency great talent. The Celtics drafted 5 of these 9 players themselves. Just 1 of the 9 guys was a 2nd round picks

Lakers

Artest #16 overall
    Shannon Brown #25 overall
    Kobe Bryant #13 overall
    Andrew Bynum #10 overall
    Jordan Farmar #26 overall
    Derek Fisher #24 overall
    Pau Gasol #3 overall
    Lamar Odom #4 overall

The Lakers drafted half of there 8 players themselves and they have far less lottery pick type talents than the Celtics, but the Lakers model proves even more what you can do when you draft young players with that big word "Potential". Kobe and Bynum were both chosen straight out of high school something which can not be done these days but the Lakers were pretty good at doing it when it could be done. Also of the Lakers 8 guys that made a huge difference in the playoffs all were 1st rd picks.

Next, there are a lot of notable 2nd round picks that make huge differences of teams but it is certainly more of a possibility that a 1st rd pick will be around making a huge difference ten years from now than a 2nd rd pick. So, lets look at the lottery.

1. Wizards: There taking Wall because he is the best talent available even though I don't think its the best fit for him. Arenas needs the ball in his hands.

2. Sixers: There is a ? whether they should go with Evan Turner or a big guy namely Derrick Favors. They just traded there starting C, so that could be something to consider no matter what they say publicly. Personally, I say take Turner even though I don't see where they are gonna get the shooting from with Turner and both Iggy not being able to shoot. I stay go with Evans because Favors just did not prove enough in college to take him over Turner.

3. Nets: Favors is the pick here he is the type of brute that will go well with the skilled Lopez. He also has the best combination of size and athletic ability of anyone in the draft and posesses that big word "Upside"

4. Wolves: They should go with Cousins and have a strong 3 man rotation like the Lakers with Gasol, Odom, and Bynum or Celtics with Garnett, Perkins, and Davis but they will not because they are out smarting themselves thinking that Jefferson and Love already play the same position so why pick another big man with same qualities. As I have stated I think you need 3 and Cousins is a center. They will go with Wesley Johnson who make no mistake has a nice skill set and a very impressive combination of size and athletic ability.

5. Kings: Don't see them passing on Cousins no matter what anyone says. They now have Dalembert who is a long shot blocker. Cousin is a brute down low and would go well with him.

6. Warriors: Greg Monroe just seems like the kind of skilled big man that would do well in this wide open system. He is not a good athlete but he is so skilled at 6"11 that it's hard to see him failing.

7. Detroit: Ekpe Udoh he is a defensive guy with some nice offensive skills. This pick may surprise some but I definitely think that Dumars values defense over some of the other things available at this point.

8. Clippers: I think the Clippers will reach here for a hot name in Paul George from Fresno State, decent shooting stroke and impressive athletic ability even though did not dominate at Fresno State.

9. Jazz: Luke Babbitt is a lights out shooter, displayed impressive athletic ability at the combine and he possesses some of the unspoken things the Jazz like, this could actually be a surprising good pick.

10. Pacers: Cole Aldrich he has fallen on everyone's board after not really measuring up athletically or height wise at the combine but I still think he fits what the Pacers would be looking for if they pick here. On the other hand, I think they will trade this pick because they could get Aldrich or Hayward later on in the 1st round.

11. Hornets: Al Faroq-Aminu: Nice SF, has some good offensive skills and would possibly upgrade the SF postion within the next 3 years for the Hornets.

12. Memphis: Ed Davis: Zach Randolph costs a lot, this is his last year also and his backup has been so-so. Davis is tied for the 3rd best combination of size and athletic ability behind Favors and Whiteside.

13. Toronto: Hassan Whiteside: I think they will be looking to replace Bosh, they know in there hearts he is gone, this guy is a C,PF type with big upside hard to pass on a 7ft guy with a 7"7 wingspan, with the 2nd best combo of size and athletic ability in the draft.

14. Houston: This is a good team when Yao comes back. Maybe they could use a backup C with some size I think they will snatch Daniel Orton though I would not touch him with a 10 ft pole.
    Last edited by THEGREAT30; 06-19-10 at 05:09 PM.
    Points Awarded:

HoulihansTX gave THEGREAT30 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Nice write up. Personally I think Evan Turner reminds me a little bit of a Brandon Roy type of player but I don't think he will be as good. Something about his IQ just scares me....he doesn't seem to be that intelligent.

THEGREAT30

Quote Originally Posted by NYSportsGuy210 View Post
    Nice write up. Personally I think Evan Turner reminds me a little bit of a Brandon Roy type of player but I don't think he will be as good. Something about his IQ just scares me....he doesn't seem to be that intelligent.
    Personally, I'm not sure about Turner either I can't put my hands on what I don't like about him. If I was picking I would rather be wrong with a big guy than a guard, but Favors really didn't show that much at GT so I lean towards Evans even though if I had to pay I might go Favors

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Anyone who drafts Cousins is taking a huge chance on him. He has Derrick Coleman written all over him.

Also, Favors didnt do much in College b/c he had Gani Lawal taking fade away jumpers, and shitty gaurds who couldnt do simple things like feed the post. Add the fact, his coach is below average.

Overall this is a great writeup, and appreciate it. I almost forgot about it.

THEGREAT30

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Anyone who drafts Cousins is taking a huge chance on him. He has Derrick Coleman written all over him.

Also, Favors didnt do much in College b/c he had Gani Lawal taking fade away jumpers, and shitty gaurds who couldnt do simple things like feed the post. Add the fact, his coach is below average.

Overall this is a great writeup, and appreciate it. I almost forgot about it.
    The crazy thing about all that is considering I'm a Hawks guy there are people around here that want Lawal picked at #24 when he clearly is overrated IMO. I do agree about the guards also of G Tech. As for Cousins as long as he gives you mostly good Coleman you have a good thing Coleman made some all-star games. I agree that Cousins could be Coleman/Big Barkley.

bbar86
    bbar86's Avatar Become A Pro!

most of the guys out of kentucky are risks, they are talented but young. just gotta figure if their talent outweighs the immaturity. makes sense for wall but im not sure about cousins

THEGREAT30

Quote Originally Posted by bbar86 View Post
    most of the guys out of kentucky are risks, they are talented but young. just gotta figure if their talent outweighs the immaturity. makes sense for wall but im not sure about cousins
    More sure about Cousins and Bledsoe than Orton maybe 3 years from now we will still be here 2 discuss this

Law-Byrnes
    Law-Byrnes's Avatar Become A Pro!

I really like Favors. I remember a few times where the guy went for 15-20 rebounds because his team wouldn't enter the ball into the post.

sweetjones55
    554-381 (59.2%) NBA/WNBA/Football Record
    sweetjones55's Avatar Become A Pro!

Aminu is not 1st round talent, I think he busts big time. Matt Bouldin and Pondexter will be good second round pick ups.

THEGREAT30

Quote Originally Posted by sweetjones55 View Post
    Aminu is not 1st round talent, I think he busts big time. Matt Bouldin and Pondexter will be good second round pick ups.
    I kinda like Aminu. I think he will be better than Marvin Williams. Pondexter is going in 1st round I'm thinking and Varnado is going to be a steal for someone. He has one of the best combinations of length and athleticism in the draft along with having a specific skill and being productive in college.

goblue12
    goblue12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 453

Time to start religiously monitoring ESPN Insider, NBADraft.net, and Draft Express.

jhack704
    jhack704's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1443

cousins rookie of the year!

THEGREAT30

Quote Originally Posted by goblue12 View Post
    Time to start religiously monitoring ESPN Insider, NBADraft.net, and Draft Express.
    I'm not an Insider but I'm on the other 2. Do you have access to Insider?

jmiezie
    jmiezie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15466

I think Turner has a ton of potential and will turn out to be a solid player