mmarino
    mmarino's Avatar Become A Pro!

Suns +4 tonight

Hello everyone,

Very long time reader, finally registered and first-time post. Wondering what your guys thoughts are on the Suns +4 tonight vs Utah. Nash is out tonight, along with Hill of course, so would you guys even touch this game? Can the Suns still win or what do you think? Thanks for the tips and I look forward to posting more here, instead of just reading. Thanks and GL.

buztah
    buztah's Avatar Become A Pro!

Last year when Nash was out they couldn't play for shit. If I were to play I'd take Utah for sure, especially given how tired they must be after the Pacers made em work hard in OT last night. GL!

mmarino

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. I believe the exact number is that they were 2-4 last year with Nash out.

WestsidePete
    WestsidePete's Avatar Become A Pro!

buztah said all that needed to be said....Utah -4 tonite

buztah

Hey, westside, I went ahead and made the play. GL!

tevari
    purveyor of fuzzy green balls
    tevari's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

Playing the Jazz for the first half @ -2 1/2. BOL all

WestsidePete

Quote Originally Posted by buztah View Post
    Hey, westside, I went ahead and made the play. GL!
    awesome....Utah will be my largest play tonite...some at -4 and at -2 (bought 2 pts) GL as well

buztah

Lot of steam. 6 point spread now.

mmarino

Yea, I got in at -5 for Utah. Under 220 seems tempting as well.
    Last edited by mmarino; 01-10-08 at 10:47 AM.

buztah

Just made a big bet on Utah ML. Also have Utah -4 small.

Junkyard Dog
    Get up and Get it
    Junkyard Dog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1911

wow i expect jazz to roll. phx is not deep to begin with and now no nash or hill.

buztah

Unless this is a fix, Jazz should definitely roll as they have the revenge factor to boot.

buztah

- 6 1/2 now. If this is a fix a lot of punters will be shorn tonight. Hope it's legit.

The HG
    The HG's Avatar Become A Pro!

Listen everyone, I'm with you, I got in at Utah -3, under 224.5, as soon as I haerd about Nash last night, but I wouldn't go too crazy with this one. First of all, I like the under play more. But I do particularly recall that when Nash was out, Barbosa stepped right in and the Suns didn't miss a beat. This might have been 2 years ago. And it was when Marion went down that they had troubles.

I'm with you guys, all I'm saying is, I bet it normal-sized, I am not super-excited about it. I think they are solid plays, but Phoenix could easily hang with Utah here, and the game could easily explode over, is all I'm saying.

GL everyone.

VBOMBER
    VBOMBER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nash missed 6 games last year, 4 in the middle of the season, 2 at the beginning before they exploded when he came back (including 1 @ Utah - curiously enough w/o Kirilenko as well which may be the situation tonight - hope he play as I have the under). Suns lost to Utah 120-117 in OT. They went 2-3 in the other games (wins @ Portland in OT (109-102), and home v. Philly(106-94), losses at home to Atlanta(111-120), Chicago(103-116) and @ Seattle(90-114)).

So based on 6 games (not very many) they did seem to miss a beat (as they were hot after he missed 2 at the beginning, and before and after the 4 game stretch). However, I agree with The HG, with the numbers where they are now, how much value is left?

WestsidePete

The value was jumping on this last night...

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

PHX is very good in 1Q when playing without rest (5-0 for the season, after my across-the-NBA standard of throwing out first six games). They're a flow team, and benefit from continued flow from day to day.

The Suns have had a problem with motivation this season. When they're motivated they're great, when they're soft they suck beyond belief, and right from the start of the game. With Nash out, motivation will not be a problem. Barbosa should start in his place.

As far as Grant being out, who cares? I think the Suns bought him as insurance against a possible Marion move. The Suns definitely didn't need another player like that, and he's basically been taking away plays from the others. A Sun that is night and day when he's motivated or not is Boris Diaw. Tonight he will be motivated. I love an aggressive Diaw. Meanwhile, the fact that Nash is out won't do anything in favor of Utah's motivation.

The Suns could run into problems later in the game, as they may pay for D'Antoni's stubborn reliance on only seven players. With two of those seven out, the inexperience of the PHX bench will be difficult to hide. I expect PHX to come out strong, but unable to maintain intensity for the full game.

So I play PHX 1Q +2.
    Crucial that Amare doesn't pick up early fouls however.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 01-10-08 at 05:54 PM.

greek
    greek's Avatar Become A Pro!

phoenix

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

The main risk to a play on the Suns is that Marcus Banks will take over for Barbosa. Usually when that happens the Suns scoring machine comes to a crashing halt. The Suns just aren't able to bridge the huge contrast between these two point guards. Barbosa can maintain the high octane offense, and has a lightning quick move to the basket. Banks lacks any and all creativity. When Banks comes in for Barbosa the Suns could give up ten straight points in the blink of an eye.

You can blame D'Antoni for this, because he never uses the regular season to develop players 8 through 10. He doesn't do it because they interrupt the flow of his high speed team. I say they interrupt the flow because he doesn't play them enough.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 01-10-08 at 06:14 PM.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Damn, I should have jumped on this last night. I just played Utah -7 for a few units.

jeffries
    jeffries's Avatar Become A Pro!

Another concern is Shawn Marion on whether he will play or not. Right now he's listed as doubtful but he's really trying to get in this game and play. Evidently, he banged up his shoulder last night and is said to be "extremely" sore. Even if Marion does play, don't expect the best performance

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Scratch my earlier comments and 1Q play. Word around the campfire in Phoenix is that Marion is out as well.

jeffries
    jeffries's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    The main risk to a play on the Suns is that Marcus Banks will take over for Barbosa. Usually when that happens the Suns scoring machine comes to a crashing halt. The Suns just aren't able to bridge the huge contrast between these two point guards. Barbosa can maintain the high octane offense, and has a lightning quick move to the basket. Banks lacks any and all creativity. When Banks comes in for Barbosa the Suns could give up ten straight points in the blink of an eye.

You can blame D'Antoni for this, because he never uses the regular season to develop players 8 through 10. He doesn't do it because they interrupt the flow of his high speed team. I say they interrupt the flow because he doesn't play them enough.
    Dude. Marcus Banks sank 7 out of 8 3 pointers just the other night against Denver.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Dude. On very rare occasions he gets hot from 3-pt land. I'm talking about creativity from a point guard. When the burden is on him he's worth very little. When he plays alongside Nash or Barbaso he can be alright.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 01-10-08 at 06:29 PM.

mmarino

this will be interesting tonight.

buztah

I don't want it to be interesting. I want the JAZZ up by 30 come 4th Q. LOL!

pat venditto
    pat venditto's Avatar Become A Pro!

suns with the points is the correct play

mmarino

i would love that too buztah haha. It's been quite an intriguing day for this game. Early A.M. we were all talking, everyone on Utah. Throughout the day it slowly, slowly has changed and now the play is Phoenix, and it looks like a lot of people are taking Phoenix with the points.

Deke101
    Deke101's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm on Phoenix +7 for 2 units. 1 unit Phoenix ML +250.

Its always a funny thing when teams are missing their better players. People step in and have solid games. I follow the Suns, and I know that Barbosa is a great scoring PG with Nash on the bench. The Suns aren't going to forfeit this game, it just might be a little sloppier. I assume the Jazz will go at Amare early and hope that he gets some fouls, because what the Suns lack, is big men. Should be an interesting game.

VLADYMYR
    VLADYMYR's Avatar Become A Pro!

will see ! I went with steamers on Jazz
    it would be great match
    Jazz at home is strong enough and with out Hash suns would be difficult to withstand
    Cheers

mmarino

Correct Vladymyr, Utah at home is very strong.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Line just steamed to 8.5

mmarino

Incredible amount of action on this game today. I've been following the action on this game since about 7am this morning, and have been talking about it on this forum all day today, and man, just incredible.