Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Peeved Pacers will try to move disgruntled star

INDIANAPOLIS -- Ron Artest's days with the Indiana Pacers appear to be over.

Artest, suspended most of last season for his role in one of the worst brawls in American sports, said over the weekend that he wants out, his past haunts him in Indianapolis and the team would be better off without him.

Team president and chief executive Donnie Walsh said Monday he didn't like Artest taking the issue to the media first, but he would try to work out a trade.

After the NBA suspended him for triggering a brawl with fans in Detroit, Artest missed 73 games and the playoffs.

Pacers leader scorer Jermaine O'Neal said his primary concern is playing Boston on Wednesday.

"I'm not going to answer any more questions about Ron Artest," he said. "Ron doesn't want to be here, so Ron doesn't matter anymore."

Artest remains on the roster but is inactive with pay for the rest of the week. By then, Walsh expects to have a better idea what he can get in exchange for his star.

Artest was a key component to a team that was expected to challenge for the Eastern Conference crown. He leads the league in steals and is the Pacers' second-leading scorer at 19.4 points per game. He became an All-Star and was once the defensive player of the year in his five years with the Pacers. But he's best remembered for the brawl, and he hasn't been able to escape the reminders.

"He's always living down his past in this franchise, and so are we," Walsh said. "So I do think it's a time to kind of break apart and see if he can get a new start somewhere else. I think it's very important for us to put our past behind us and to stop these distractions so that what I think is a fine basketball team can go on."

He added Artest's desire to move on wasn't the only factor involved.

"This is kind of the last straw of a lot of issues," Walsh said.

Stephen Jackson still calls Artest a friend and said the team will miss his play.

"Ron's an All-Star," Jackson said. "It's definitely going to hurt us not to have him here, but we've got games to play. We can't dwell on who's not here, who's here."

In an interview with The Indianapolis Star published Sunday, Artest said, "I still think my past haunts me here. I think somewhere else I'm starting fresh. I'm coming in with baggage, but people already know about it and how I'm going to be."

Artest told the Star he wouldn't mind playing for New York or Cleveland. He's from Long Island City, N.Y., and former Pacers assistant Mike Brown is Cleveland's head coach.

"If I go to the West Coast, I would come back to New York after my contract is up," Artest told the Star. "I would go to Cleveland. I wouldn't mind coming off the bench behind LeBron James. There's a lot of players I wouldn't mind coming off the bench behind."

James appreciated Artest's interest. Artest shut him down in Indiana's 98-76 win on Thanksgiving Day.

"You've got to be flattered because he knows we're an up and coming team," James said. "Any team in this league could use a guy like Ron Artest."

Jackson said the Pacers didn't foresee Artest's desire to leave.

"I think it shocked us all," Jackson said. "Ron's his own man. You really can't tell what's going through his mind ... I'll see him down the line, I'll still give him a hug and still tell him he's my boy."

Indiana coach Rick Carlisle said the Pacers will recover, in part because they got used to playing without him last season.

"You're never going to be as good a team in terms of manpower without a guy like Ron Artest," he said, "but the reality right now is we don't have him. We've been through situations where we had to adjust before and we'll do it again."

O'Neal said he expects the Pacers to remain among the league's elite. The Pacers (12-7) have the second-best record in the Eastern Conference.

"You're putting too much emphasis on this situation," O'Neal told reporters. "Our team is not going to falter. We're not going to fall into a lottery team. We're going to keep winning."

The Pacers now will need more from their newest players, guard Sarunas Jasikevicius and forward Danny Granger.

Jasikevicius, a 29-year-old rookie guard from Lithuania, has averaged 9.4 points and 2.9 assists. He is among the league's leaders in free-throw percentage and shoots 48 percent from 3-point range.

Carlisle said Granger, the 17th pick in the draft, will be expected to grow up quickly. His 15 minutes per game will increase.

"Right now, he's a guy who's going to have to step to the forefront," Carlisle said. "It'll be an opportunity for him, and we're counting on him to come through for us."

Artest has missed the last two games with a sore right wrist. The Pacers defeated Washington 111-87 and Memphis 80-66 last week without him.

Walsh said the fact that Artest went public before talking to management might scare some teams off.

"I think Ronnie is a guy who acts first and thinks later," Walsh said. "If he were to do it over again, he might do it differently."

BadAzz
    BadAzz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 457

I am totally full of these "trade me, I do not like to play here" guys. In my opinion this pretty much sums up the NBA nowadays. It is all about me, myself and I. No loyalty to the team. The days of Stockton, Reggie and others all long gone.

ego74
    ego74's Avatar Become A Pro!

If the Pacers can get ANYTHING of quality for this guy, they should pull the trigger on a trade ASAP. His antics cost Reggie a true shot at going out on top, totally screwed up the season for them.

He'll continue to be a poison for the Pacers.

This year's edition has some problems not even moving Artest will cure, but it's a good start for sure to get him outta there.

Also, if Walsh and Bird can somehow swing a deal for KG, even if it means getting rid of O'Neal, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

I'm not surprised by what happens in the NBA anymore but no one is going to mistake Artest for a professional. His teammates followed him into a brawl and took suspensions, so, when he can finally come back and contribute he throws another wrench in their spokes.

If I was Bird, I'd send him to Utah. Take 10 draft picks if you have to but ship him to the mountains.

BadAzz

No no no, do not bring that guy to the Jazz. I do not want to cheer for a team that has a proven lunatic starring for them. I am sure Isiah is happy to take him along with everything else you possibly offer to him.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

If Artest were to go to Utah, either Jerry Sloan would reform him, make him a star player with the correct attitude, or Sloan would kick his ass.

BadAzz

That is why I just love Sloans style, even though he is starting to look grayer than Knopfler and Clapton combined.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

I have one word for you guys: Ostertag.

BadAzz

You cannot argue with that...
    Attached Images  

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

the pacers stuck thru thick and thin with artest. and, now he goes and makes a comment like this.

this kid really needs to grow up and stop acting like a 9 year old child.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

I love Ron as a player, and to be honest, I don't really mind much of his antics outside. I think he was just upset with the constant trade rumors, and like a hurt child, he acted/spoke out. I'd love to see the Warriors package some of their depth to get him, but only if he agreed to a contract extension prior. I don't know what they could get for him, but it's safe to say that a west coast team won't be picking him up after his comments about opting out and heading to NY after his contract is done in 06.

juuso
    juuso's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Pacers are my favorite team in NBA, have made good money betting on them the last 3 seasons. Artest is a great player and if he's traded, i would like to see Pacers acquiring a player of the same caliber on his place...

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4819

Maybe Ben Wallace and the Pistons would want him? Sorry, I had to.