bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Celtics call Reggie Miller, who is considering return to NBA

This is actually starting to get comical now.

Celtics call Reggie Miller, who is considering return to NBA

Reggie Miller says he is contemplating a return to the NBA, this time with the Boston Celtics.

Miller, who turns 42 on Aug. 24, played his entire 18-year career with the Indiana Pacers before retiring in 2005. Since his playing days ended he has worked as a television analyst for TNT.

Miller was all set to continue that job when Celtics general manager Danny Ainge and coach Doc Rivers asked him to think about joining their revamped team in a reserve role, playing about 15 minutes per game.

Miller said he is calling friends and peers, seeking their advice and listening to their feedback before he makes his decision. He still plays recreationally, but must determine if he wants to go through the physical and mental grind of an 82-game season. He also wonders how his body would respond to the intensive training it would take to get him back to NBA shape.
    SportsNation

The lure of playing in Boston is simple: with Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen added to Paul Pierce, the Celtics feel they have a shot at an NBA championship. Like those three players, the only thing missing from Miller's list of accomplishments is a championship ring.

Miller, a five-time NBA All-Star, is seventh on the all-time list of games played with 1,323. He is 13th in scoring (25,279) and holds the NBA record for the most made 3-pointers in NBA history with 2,560.

Since the Celtics' trades that brought in Allen and Garnett, the team has been filling out its roster with less heralded players, including guard Eddie House and center Scot Pollard.

bigboydan

Heres the latest update on this one. Personally, I don't think he will be returning to lace'um up again ever again.

Miller weighing options, not revealing thoughts on return to NBA

INDIANAPOLIS -- Reggie Miller is still debating whether to make a comeback at age 42.

Reggie Miller

Miller

The NBA's career leader in 3-pointers tried to dodge reporters' questions about his possible return on Tuesday as he attended Peyton Manning's charity bowling tournament, saying he wanted to talk about the Super Bowl MVP and his event.

Eventually, though, Miller acknowledged no decision was imminent.

"I'm in shape to bowl," Miller joked. "But I don't even know what I'm going to do."

Miller was among dozens of celebrities participating in Manning's annual tournament but was one of the feature stars because of the speculation he would return to the NBA in search of the championship ring he never won in 18 seasons with the Indiana Pacers.

Miller retired from the league two years ago and his No. 31 now hangs in the Conseco Fieldhouse rafters after being retired by the Pacers last season. He ranks 13th on the NBA's career scoring list with 25,279 points.

Danny Ainge, the Boston Celtics' basketball boss, has acknowledged he and Miller have had discussions, although Miller said Tuesday a decision might not come for another month.

"I think I'll let my body and the people I've called and talked to, help me make that decision," he said. "It will all come together."

Miller spent last season as a television analyst for NBA and WNBA games on TNT and has run a movie production company called Boom Baby Productions since retiring. He's also co-hosted "Live with Regis and Kelly."

But Miller has said it felt strange not to be part of an NBA team when training camps opened in 2005.

And Boston presents Miller with a unique opportunity to win a title. The Celtics have added seven-time All-Star Ray Allen and 2004 NBA MVP Kevin Garnett in offseason trades.

Miller would fit in as a backup to Allen on a team that needs depth after trading seven players to Minnesota for Garnett.

Will that be enough to convince Miller to make a comeback attempt?

Miller isn't saying, but former Pacers teammate Rik Smits believes there's a 65 percent chance Miller suits up this season.

"I think if his body holds up after a month or so of practice to get ready for training camp, I think he can do it," Smits said. "Part of it's mind-set, part of it's physical. He'd be a guy who could do it and probably still be able to contribute."

bigboydan

Now we can offically end the rumors of his return. Maybe Ainge can no go on his quest to pursue Scottie Pippen.

Reggie Miller's comeback has ended before it began.
    Reggie Miller

The former Indiana Pacers star and TNT hoops analyst has decided he won't make a comeback with the Boston Celtics or anyone else, according to The Indianapolis Star.

"That's it,'' he told The Star. "Physically, I know I could have done it. But mentally, when you do something like this, you've either got to be all in or all out. And I've decided I'm all out."

Miller told the newspaper the decision came after two weeks of workouts designed to see how his body might react to the stress of an entire NBA season.

"Earlier [Thursday], I was ready to come back. I was going to do it. But then I flew back here, I thought about it, I talked to a lot of people, and honestly, most people told me I should come back," Miller said, according to the newspaper.

"Charles [Barkley], Mark [Jackson], Doug [Collins], they all said I should do it. And when I was back in Indy this week [for the Peyton Manning charity bowling event], people on the streets, they'd tell me to do it," Miller told the newspaper. "But as the day went on, I just realized I wasn't ready mentally to put myself through the grind again."

Miller, the NBA's all-time leader in 3-pointers, retired in 2005 after 18 seasons, all with the Pacers. But he considered a return when the Celtics picked up Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett and asked Miller if he was interested.

The answer is no, Miller told the Star.

"Please write, 'I will never, ever, ever try something like this again,'" he said laughing, according to the newspaper. "Any of the 30 teams in the NBA, if you're interested, please don't call."

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Good, he didn't need to go out and embarrass himself or the Celtics.