williams22
    williams22's Avatar Become A Pro!

Varejao Chosen as Mid-Season DPOY

John Hollinger just released his NBA mid-Season awards and chose Anderson Varejao as Defensive Player of the Year. Nice to see a guy who plays solid defense get recognized for this award. Many times it goes to a player with flashy defensive stats (blocks and steals), so it's nice to see Varejao finally get recognized.

Mid-Season Awards

SpreadSniper
    SpreadSniper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7261

Very nice indeed - always thought he never got his just desserts.... Hollinger throwing praise your way means you deserve it.

williams22

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadSniper View Post
    Very nice indeed - always thought he never got his just desserts.... Hollinger throwing praise your way means you deserve it.
    He's made a dramatic change this year in how he approaches the game defensively. I can't remember the last time I've seen him flop for a charge.

spargament
    KHABIB
    spargament's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 367

definitely an unsung hero on a very solid cavaliers defense. Idk if he's earning that contract he inked, but really has improved.

williams22

Quote Originally Posted by spargament View Post
    definitely an unsung hero on a very solid cavaliers defense. Idk if he's earning that contract he inked, but really has improved.
    He's leading the NBA in +/- right now, so that's gotta be worth something. He's making $6.3 million, which while that is certainly a lot, is not a lot for a solid big man these days. The league overpays for size right now.

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

Quote Originally Posted by williams22 View Post
    He's leading the NBA in +/- right now, so that's gotta be worth something. He's making $6.3 million, which while that is certainly a lot, is not a lot for a solid big man these days. The league overpays for size right now.

Haven't watched the guy play in person like you Williams, but I can tell by watching on T.V. that he is disruptive as hell to an opposing teams offense. The guy works his ass off and hustles the entire time he is in the game. His defense leads to alot of easy transition points to the Cavs. To say the least the dude could play for me any day of the week.

williams22

Quote Originally Posted by lyon804 View Post
    Haven't watched the guy play in person like you Williams, but I can tell by watching on T.V. that he is disruptive as hell to an opposing teams offense. The guy works his ass off and hustles the entire time he is in the game. His defense leads to alot of easy transition points to the Cavs. To say the least the dude could play for me any day of the week.
    Exactly. I've never seen Varejao take a night off, which there aren't many other NBA players I can say the same of. The stuff he does doesn't end up in box scores, but it certainly influences the outcome of the game. When you want to appreciate good fundamental basketball, watch some of the smaller things he does, like setting a screen for example. To many guys in the NBA, this is a simple task and not much thought goes into it. Varejao makes it an art and constantly switches up how he comes to set a screen, the side he chooses, and where he rolls to.

lyon804

I love watching the guy play. I am not a NBA guru like some, but I don't remember another one quite like him. In a way he reminds me of Dennis Rodman without the attitude and freakiness, but with more offensive upside than Rodman had. I don't know if you got to watch Rodman play, but besides the fact he was a circus show he hustled his ass off and was a major contributor to defense and rebounding. Rodman might play 41 minutes score 4pts and have 19 rebounds and 5 block shots and who knows the other shots he was changing that didn't get blocked. That kinda game above was just a normal nite for Rodman. He was wound up so high that after the game when most players crashed he would go ride a stationary back for 45minutes to unwind some of his energy. Anderson, on the other hand has more offensive skill set and upside. Rodman was just a pure defender and rebounder.

williams22

Quote Originally Posted by lyon804 View Post
    I love watching the guy play. I am not a NBA guru like some, but I don't remember another one quite like him. In a way he reminds me of Dennis Rodman without the attitude and freakiness, but with more offensive upside than Rodman had. I don't know if you got to watch Rodman play, but besides the fact he was a circus show he hustled his ass off and was a major contributor to defense and rebounding. Rodman might play 41 minutes score 4pts and have 19 rebounds and 5 block shots and who knows the other shots he was changing that didn't get blocked. That kinda game above was just a normal nite for Rodman. He was wound up so high that after the game when most players crashed he would go ride a stationary back for 45minutes to unwind some of his energy. Anderson, on the other hand has more offensive skill set and upside. Rodman was just a pure defender and rebounder.
    Very good comparison. As you noted, I think Varejao has more offense upside than Rodman. In particular, his touch around the rim has been incredible this year. He manages to catch any no-look pass Lebron throws him and still be able to spin it in under pressure. Another thing about Rodman and Varejao is that both guys provide so much energy, that they are often able to keep their teams in games despite a horrible performance by everyone else.

Here's another great thing Varejao does that goes unnoticed: Shot fake. Have you ever seen a guy with a more atrocious jump-shot be able to get defenders off their feet so consistently with an up fake? He sells it as well as anyone, yet he never has any intention of actually shooting (well, unless it's a 3-pointer with the shot clock winding down to win the game, right Atlanta?).

lyon804

Quote Originally Posted by williams22 View Post
    Very good comparison. As you noted, I think Varejao has more offense upside than Rodman. In particular, his touch around the rim has been incredible this year. He manages to catch any no-look pass Lebron throws him and still be able to spin it in under pressure. Another thing about Rodman and Varejao is that both guys provide so much energy, that they are often able to keep their teams in games despite a horrible performance by everyone else.

Here's another great thing Varejao does that goes unnoticed: Shot fake. Have you ever seen a guy with a more atrocious jump-shot be able to get defenders off their feet so consistently with an up fake? He sells it as well as anyone, yet he never has any intention of actually shooting (well, unless it's a 3-pointer with the shot clock winding down to win the game, right Atlanta?).

I like that. I think it was his first made 3 ever in the NBA. I believe he was like 0-12 before that or something..Correct me if I am wrong.

regretz
    regretz's Avatar Become A Pro!

williams22

Quote Originally Posted by regretz View Post
    Now tell me who won the game...

lyon804

Wade has done that too many people in the NBA. He is my favorite dunker in traffic. Yea, Lebron is impressive but you got to look at the size difference. Wade is fearless and has some incredible hops for a little guy. I think they list him at 6'4, but that's probably a stretch.