stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32315

Handicapping the NBA playoffs

When you 'cap a series or even individual games during the playoffs does your methods change at all.

Mine does, I place more of a premium on guards.

The better ball handler and better defensive PG I put more emphasis on.

Outside of that everything pretty much stays the same.

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13401

This year I don't think playoffs will be much different than regular season games for most of these series but I agree with the PG play. Im taking a good look at Kyrie come game 1 he hasn't looked the same since the knee injury and if hes not looking 100% Cavs could be a good fade. I expect Lowry to continue his great guard play from the regular season into the playoffs as well.

POOLSIDE
    POOLSIDE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 586

Interesting. I can't comment on the value of point guards ats in the playoffs, but if there's any correlation between that and their value straight up, I'm not sure I agree. Unless this is a fade tactic, in which case I certainly agree.

The last team to win a championship when their best player was a true point guard (Curry is not a point guard no matter what anyone says) was the 1989 Pistons. Point guard is the most overrated position in the sport, in my opinion. Every team since 1989 whose top paid player or best player was a point guard has a combined zero championships? The only argument is Tony Parker but let's be honest, that team doesn't win any of its rings without Duncan. And don't try to tell me Chauncey was better than Rasheed or even Rip.

Shooting guard and power forward/center are the most important positions in the playoffs, but that's from a win/loss standpoint and certainly not ats. Since there are no good centers left in the NBA, shooting guard and power forward are the important positions. Curry is the clear talent in the sg group, but don't forget about Lillard. That kid can play. Wouldn't shock me to see them beat the Clippers. Oh and speaking of overrated pathetic point guards, look no further than the Clippers. Power forward is a little more open, but the Spurs and Warriors look solid here. Cavs too, as Lebron can be a sg and a pf.

Tl;dr = point guards are overrated. They're the running back of basketball and paying a lot for one is a phenomenal way to hamstring your team's future. Ask Steve Nash, Marbury, Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Jason Kidd, and John Stockton how many championships they won while being paid top dollar. Hint, it's fccking zero. Kidd is the only one on that list to ever get one, and that was in his twilight as a glorified role player on a well balanced team where he was only being paid $8m a year. That team was able to make up for his abysmal 36% shooting. He was the ninth highest scorer on the team, scoring less than extremely talented ballers such as Rodrigue Beaubois.

louielouie
    louielouie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 552

That is a good write up poolside - does Westbrook and the thunder fit outside this pg view in your opinion?

POOLSIDE
    POOLSIDE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 586

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
    That is a good write up poolside - does Westbrook and the thunder fit outside this pg view in your opinion?
    Yeah, he's an interesting one. Very hard to paint him into any type of mold. He can play point guard for sure, but he's at his best when he's a glorified two and scoring a lot. This is what opens up his passing game and this is what keeps teams from collapsing on Durant and vice versa. He's definitely too versatile to be considered just a point guard.