Betpoints: 24008

Pippen Says 95-96 Bulls Would Sweeeeep The Warriors

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15...state-warriors

I'm not so sure on this one Scottie...

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

All these old guys same song and dance when they feel a threat. And I'm sure Bill Russell thinks his 60's Celts would sweep mid 90's Bulls and on ....on goes the madness of people just flapping their gums while popping their chest out. It helps keep them relevant I guess in minds of young people and fuel their legacy. Never any substance or reality to any of these crap debates because they can never happen. It's great to remember the greats from past decades but that was their time and this is GSW and Curry's. Get over yourself Scottie and enjoy the moment!
    Points Awarded:

sando gave R.P. McMurphy 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: funnyb25, and sando

CJ
    CJ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5812

They didn't even sweep the Sonics...

WalkingLuckCharm
    WalkingLuckCharm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2947

depends which era they would play. i think gsw get smashed in the old era.

in the new era? the whole bulls squad would be double t'd up

NardVa
    NardVa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10509

The old Bulls team would have physically pushed the Warriors around. Steph and Klay would have got man handled by the Bulls. I don't know about a sweep. Maybe the Bulls win the series 4-2.

Slipknot26
    Slipknot26's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1575

These comparisons have gotten out of control .
    It's all opinions , each person has their own perspective on anything in life , we'll just never know .

POOLSIDE
    POOLSIDE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 586

I'm not an old guy, and I agree with Scottie here. Well, maybe not sweep. But those bulls would have had their way with this team.

I've been saying this for awhile now, the NBA is at an all time low. There are way less historically great players than any era since the 80's, and the quality of gameplay is horrendous. All these guys grow up driving and dunking and being the best guy they've ever played against and it shows. Then they do one bs year in college where they don't seem to learn anything and don't care because they know they're about to make millions. The end result is a very poor product on the court. Fewer midrange jump shooters, poorer defensive play, terrible on ball defenders, unforgivably bad mechanics, awful teamwork to the point where most possessions consist of a bunch of meaningless passing before some dude plays hero ball with eight seconds on the shot clock, lazy unmotivated all stars who regularly take plays off, and the huuuuge glaring issue... basically zero quality big men.

There's not a big guy in the league worth a shit historically outside of Cousins, and even he feels like more of a power forward. Wrap your head around that. No centers who are any good historically. Duncan and Pau would be the only ones, but they don't count as they're in the twilight of their careers.

Who in the league now is gonna have an answer for Shaq in his prime? For Ewing, Duncan, David Robinson, Hakeem? No one. Not a single player. And don't give me that bs about how "oh the game has changed, it's a jump shooting league now". Save it. If one of those guys walks through the door tomorrow, he'll be drafted number one overall every single time.

The Jordan Bulls would have decimated this Warriors squad. So would the early 2000's Lakers, and it wouldn't have been pretty.

It's almost like we haven't seen great fundamental basketball for so long that we've forgotten how important it is. Steph Curry would be miserable getting guarded by Scottie Pippen every minute of a seven game series. Fccking miserable. We're talking about arguably the best one on one defender in the history of the sport. That still leaves Michael to guard Klay or whoever, and in case you can't remember, Michael was no slouch on d. That leaves the Warriors beating the Bulls down low. They don't have the personel for this, period. Rodman, Grant, Kukoc, whoever. The Bulls were ready. Meanwhile, like every other team in the NBA, the Warriors defensively have no answer for Michael and company. We know this. No one did.

Same goes for the turn of the century Lakers. If you think a platoon of Andrew Bogut, Anderson Varejao, and Maurice Speights is gonna stop Shaquille O'Neal in his prime over the course of a seven game series, you're either still in high school or you're braindead. And don't get me started on young Kobe. Plus Derek Fisher in that era was an incredibly underrated defender. No one got around him and he played guys tight. Curry wouldn't be lighting those Lakers up. The only way to beat them was better team basketball.

This Warriors run is fun, but make no mistake about it. The only reason they're flirting with 73 wins is because of how bad the rest of the teams are right now.
    Points Awarded:

Bill Dozer gave POOLSIDE 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

RavensFan2k3 gave POOLSIDE 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

WalkingLuckCharm

Quote Originally Posted by POOLSIDE View Post
    I'm not an old guy, and I agree with Scottie here. Well, maybe not sweep. But those bulls would have had their way with this team.

I've been saying this for awhile now, the NBA is at an all time low. There are way less historically great players than any era since the 80's, and the quality of gameplay is horrendous. All these guys grow up driving and dunking and being the best guy they've ever played against and it shows. Then they do one bs year in college where they don't seem to learn anything and don't care because they know they're about to make millions. The end result is a very poor product on the court. Fewer midrange jump shooters, poorer defensive play, terrible on ball defenders, unforgivably bad mechanics, awful teamwork to the point where most possessions consist of a bunch of meaningless passing before some dude plays hero ball with eight seconds on the shot clock, lazy unmotivated all stars who regularly take plays off, and the huuuuge glaring issue... basically zero quality big men.

There's not a big guy in the league worth a shit historically outside of Cousins, and even he feels like more of a power forward. Wrap your head around that. No centers who are any good historically. Duncan and Pau would be the only ones, but they don't count as they're in the twilight of their careers.

Who in the league now is gonna have an answer for Shaq in his prime? For Ewing, Duncan, David Robinson, Hakeem? No one. Not a single player. And don't give me that bs about how "oh the game has changed, it's a jump shooting league now". Save it. If one of those guys walks through the door tomorrow, he'll be drafted number one overall every single time.

The Jordan Bulls would have decimated this Warriors squad. So would the early 2000's Lakers, and it wouldn't have been pretty.

It's almost like we haven't seen great fundamental basketball for so long that we've forgotten how important it is. Steph Curry would be miserable getting guarded by Scottie Pippen every minute of a seven game series. Fccking miserable. We're talking about arguably the best one on one defender in the history of the sport. That still leaves Michael to guard Klay or whoever, and in case you can't remember, Michael was no slouch on d. That leaves the Warriors beating the Bulls down low. They don't have the personel for this, period. Rodman, Grant, Kukoc, whoever. The Bulls were ready. Meanwhile, like every other team in the NBA, the Warriors defensively have no answer for Michael and company. We know this. No one did.

Same goes for the turn of the century Lakers. If you think a platoon of Andrew Bogut, Anderson Varejao, and Maurice Speights is gonna stop Shaquille O'Neal in his prime over the course of a seven game series, you're either still in high school or you're braindead. And don't get me started on young Kobe. Plus Derek Fisher in that era was an incredibly underrated defender. No one got around him and he played guys tight. Curry wouldn't be lighting those Lakers up. The only way to beat them was better team basketball.

This Warriors run is fun, but make no mistake about it. The only reason they're flirting with 73 wins is because of how bad the rest of the teams are right now.

if only kobe didnt get fked by father time

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Bulls have no shot how will they play defense with Longley, Wennington, Kerr, and Kukoc it would be ugly. Also remember Jordan was passed his prime in 96.

rm18
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingLuckCharm View Post
    depends which era they would play. i think gsw get smashed in the old era.

in the new era? the whole bulls squad would be double t'd up
    Are you serious the 3pt line was only 22 ft in '96? Warriors would be -12 with the short line.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24008

I like how he says he would hold curry to under 20 points...i doubt that

CJ
    CJ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5812

Good point, how would Kerr feel about coaching against himself on the floor?

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    Bulls have no shot how will they play defense with Longley, Wennington, Kerr, and Kukoc it would be ugly. Also remember Jordan was passed his prime in 96.
    Whos the Warriors post presence again? Maybe you're thinking about Washington MJ past his prime.

DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

#1 unknown...rules.
    I ain`t no "get off my lawn guy", and realize the athletes are simply better, stronger faster, but not necessarily tougher.
    The NFL is different story. The size, and speed inequality would offset any advantage teams from the 80s-90s.

86 Celts, 87 Lakers, and the best of those Bulls teams would have beaten the Dubs in a series.
    No sweeps. Those four teams playing off would be my ultimate sports experience if all healthy.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: POOLSIDE

WalkingLuckCharm

Are you serious the 3pt line was only 22 ft in '96? Warriors would be -12 with the short line.
    I was making a joke haha. But in all seriousness what u mentioned is probably one of the less important factors. I'd think match ups is more important than 3 point distance. You think klay would be a good mu on Jordan? Zz

sando
    sando's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 573

Wow! Brilliant fukcing post. Kids take notes - this man knows what he is talking about.
    This sort of insight is the reason I still bother hanging around places like SBR.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Yup Poolside be speakin the truth.
    It's basically a 3v3 matchup of:

Scotty v Curry
    MJ v Klay
    Green vs the original Green, Rodman.

IMO the deciding factor of the debate is asking... Can those 3 Bulls possibly guard those Warriors? Possibly, likely. Can the Warriors defend those Bulls. No.

After that can anyone argue the Bulls didnt have a better bench? The Aussie Centers play each other. Barnes vs Kukoc? Then ya got Ron Harper/Kerr at PG. Barbosa and Livingston stink it up when they dont have one of the starting guards spreading the floor with them.

Weve talked about how the NBA schedule favors good teams today. Warriors schedule is much easier. To be fair that doesnt mean they wouldnt play up to better teams.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110

Points Awarded:

POOLSIDE gave Bill Dozer 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

POOLSIDE

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
    Yup Poolside be speakin the truth.
    It's basically a 3v3 matchup of:

Scotty v Curry
    MJ v Klay
    Green vs the original Green, Rodman.

IMO the deciding factor of the debate is asking... Can those 3 Bulls possibly guard those Warriors? Possibly, likely. Can the Warriors defend those Bulls.
    Agreed, this is the heart of it. To answer your first question... yes, those Bulls can absolutely guard these Warriors. Pippen has five inches on Curry and based on the arm length disparity, you'd think he was a whole foot taller. Klay is not dynamic/tough/talented/smart enough to score consistently on Michael Jordan. Can't believe I'm even having to type this. How did Klay Thompson ever end up in a comparison on any level with Michael Jordan. And yeah, Green isn't scoring on Rodman.

This is is insane. Step back for a second and consider those three Bulls. Three hall of famers who also happen to be the best basketball player of all time, the best one on one defender of all time, and the best rebounder of all time. And we haven't even broken down all of Chicago's bench. Horace Grant, Paxson, BJ Armstrong. This is silly. What am I even talking about? Yes Scottie is right, sweep.

POOLSIDE

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post

Great video. The last five seconds are amazing. I had never seen that clip. Thanks.

rm18
    Update your status

Agreed, this is the heart of it. To answer your first question... yes, those Bulls can absolutely guard these Warriors. Pippen has five inches on Curry and based on the arm length disparity, you'd think he was a whole foot taller. Klay is not dynamic/tough/talented/smart enough to score consistently on Michael Jordan. Can't believe I'm even having to type this. How did Klay Thompson ever end up in a comparison on any level with Michael Jordan. And yeah, Green isn't scoring on Rodman.

This is is insane. Step back for a second and consider those three Bulls. Three hall of famers who also happen to be the best basketball player of all time, the best one on one defender of all time, and the best rebounder of all time. And we haven't even broken down all of Chicago's bench. Horace Grant, Paxson, BJ Armstrong. This is silly. What am I even talking about? Yes Scottie is right, sweep.

Have you heard of something called a pick? What about transition. Who cares if Klay can iso Jordan the Bulls could barely guard an Indiana team that started Dale Davis and Derrick Mckey

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

The rules have changed. If they played under the 90's rules, Curry would not last for more than a game. Under the rules of today, Rodman and Pippen would foul out at about HT. It's like comparing the NHL played with no helmets, and the NHL of today.

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

Thank you for this post. Spot on.

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

Quote Originally Posted by frugalgambler View Post
    The rules have changed. If they played under the 90's rules, Curry would not last for more than a game. Under the rules of today, Rodman and Pippen would foul out at about HT. It's like comparing the NHL played with no helmets, and the NHL of today.
    How many warriors would foul out trying to guard MJ today?

POOLSIDE

Have you heard of something called a pick? What about transition. Who cares if Klay can iso Jordan the Bulls could barely guard an Indiana team that started Dale Davis and Derrick Mckey
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA stop. Yeah we didn't have screens in the 90's. A handful of the best defensive players ever at their positions would really be scrambling to figure those out.

Ps are we playing 90's rules or modern rules? Because if it's 90's, Steph Curry will be crippled or dead the first time one of these guys blows his screen up.

POOLSIDE

Never understood this train of thought. Pippen and Rodman etc didn't play that way because they were incapable of playing a different way, they played that way because it was the most effective defense that was permitted at the time. These guys aren't cavemen. They can adapt to whatever is allowed.

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

Yeah, you are right that the likes of Rodman and Pippen could surely adapt to the new rules, but you cannot deny that their D would not be nearly as stifling today. Today, the rules are explicitly designed to protect shooters and drivers. Plus, Rodman would probably get suspended today for like 50+ games each season for his usual stunts. Anyhoo, this thread is for entertainment value only, there are no lines available on Bulls of say 1998 vs GSW of today. I'd gladly take the Bulls at anything better than -150.

POOLSIDE

Yeah, you are right that the likes of Rodman and Pippen could surely adapt to the new rules, but you cannot deny that their D would not be nearly as stifling today. Today, the rules are explicitly designed to protect shooters and drivers. Plus, Rodman would probably get suspended today for like 50+ games each season for his usual stunts. Anyhoo, this thread is for entertainment value only, there are no lines available on Bulls of say 1998 vs GSW of today. I'd gladly take the Bulls at anything better than -150.
    You and me both. I'd wait though. The way some of these guys are slurping up the Warriors, we might get a better line lol

Shazzadude
    Shazzadude's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1336

Fantastic conversation guys, it was a treat to read it.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110

Last night we saw what a dynamic shooting guard can do to the Warriors... the mighty Andrew Wiggins!

But seriously, there is no one really who plays this style today. He is no MJ but one of the best at bringing it to the rack. Westbrook is good but he is a PG. Harden and Thompson are step back jumper guys.

rm18
    Update your status

Derozan attacks the rim better than anyone.