swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6482

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    The question was who is/was a better player. That is not even up for discussion if you actually watched basketball closely after the 2000s. There is no way that Tim Duncan could single handedly dominate games like Kobe Bryant. Bryant had no weaknesses in his prime.....none.
    No, the question was who had the better career.

Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan: Who had The Better Career?
    And Kobe had one glaring weakness, his ego. If not for that he would have won more titles (see Shaquille O'Neal).
    Points Awarded:

gauchojake gave swordsandtequila 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Yeah Duncan not hated by everyone around the league as well. Kobe just seems like biggest asshole, terrible teammate. Not a good sell overall in most fans eyes , writers eyes which will hinder his legacy. We know Shaq and Phil cannot stand him and I heard someone on radio bout a year back saying he hangs with nobody off the floor and does not really have friends around the league. Super talented no doubt if you want a ball hogging asshole , hard to coach and nobody likes on your squad. When all is said and done stats and rings aside Duncan will have a better legacy, and career in most peoples eyes I believe.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

since Duncan has been in the NBA Spurs have never had less than 50wins in a season. Great team player.
    Kobe a better individual player

Ted Sheckler
    Ted Sheckler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Quote Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
    Kobe just seems like biggest asshole, terrible teammate. Not a good sell overall in most fans eyes , writers eyes which will hinder his legacy. We know Shaq and Phil cannot stand him and I heard someone on radio bout a year back saying he hangs with nobody off the floor and does not really have friends around the league.

Nah man, he just seems like an asshole because of his killer instinct and well because he's the greatest player ever.

cwnotorious
    cwnotorious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10757

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Sheckler View Post
    Nah man, he just seems like an asshole because of his killer instinct and well because he's the greatest player ever.
    He is not even the greatest laker

Ted Sheckler

Quote Originally Posted by cwnotorious View Post

Ummmm, but magic said he was. sooo lolz

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

I don't get into all that greatest ever nonsense however considering he's a Jordan clone how can he be the goat? I always called him a poor man's MJ lol. All the greats have killer instinct but if you think for a second Magic , Larry or MJ had they played in today's free agent era would have been alone on an island past 5 years or so your crazy. Guys would have been killing each other to hook up with them andsay they played with the best hope to get a ring.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6482

Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by cwnotorious View Post

Magic's being nice, don't think for a second he believes it.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

how can the greatest have only 1 mvp?

Ted Sheckler

Quote Originally Posted by marcoloco View Post
    how can the greatest have only 1 mvp?

ummm, he's got 5 rings and I believe 5 nba finals mvp's. He's always carried those teams.

mikewlgm
    mikewlgm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 128

Quote Originally Posted by POOLSIDE View Post
    An empty staples center lololol. What flyover state are you from? This sounds like geographic Napoleon complex. I lived a few blocks away from the stadium for many years and I've been to a trillion Kobe era Lakers games. They were packed every time.

Florida State vs Houston at the peach bowl? Great article. Same thing as Kobe in Los Angeles. Very relevant.

Haha I love how people who live in the shit hole of LA say things like flyover state....you have no idea where I live and before you say I have no idea about La I have lived their before. Guess what there are over 200 million people in America who don't live in California! Typical La douche.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Duncan would probably garner more votes because people have short memories and forget that Kobe was so great for so long

Duncan has benefited from a better team and a better coach, so his decline hasn't been nearly as exagerated as Kobe's

I say their careers have been both equally impressive

The Kraken

LA is one of my favorite cities, but I wouldn't live their without a hazmat suit

mikewlgm
    mikewlgm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 128

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    LA is one of my favorite cities, but I wouldn't live their without a hazmat suit

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

Most folks here aren't old enough to weigh in. I have seen both from day 1.

It's not fair to compare 2 players from different spots on the court.

Kobe was a beast. It's not always numbers.

Duncan's ability to adjust was what made him so special. He was a man amongst boyz.

Both great.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3521

Magic is to damn cocky to not consider himself the greatest Laker.

xKMACKx
    xKMACKx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8449

It is impossible to compare who the better player is. Comparing different positions is pointless. However, Tim Duncan has had the better career, if that is the barometer were going by here.

The Kraken

Comparing players is pointless, because to do so you would have to put two different players in exactly identical situations, and that can never be done.

So it's all water cooler talk.

POOLSIDE
    POOLSIDE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 586

Quote Originally Posted by mikewlgm View Post
    Haha I love how people who live in the shit hole of LA say things like flyover state....you have no idea where I live and before you say I have no idea about La I have lived their before. Guess what there are over 200 million people in America who don't live in California! Typical La douche.

Hey, most other people don't make it here either. No need to get nasty.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Can't compare different position but if you had to, Kobe is a creator and Duncan is a reactor; Both successful but the creator is more important. Kobe Bryant is the answer here.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

The metrics by which we compare the greats are titles and rap albums and to my knowledge, Tim never released one. Kobe wins.

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

Some solid data, courtesy of basketball-reference.com

Kobe Bryant, 48093 minutes played, 172.6 Win shares, 72.2 Value over replacement player
    Tim Duncan, 46810 minutes played, 204.8 Win Shares, 88.6 Value over replacement player.

Looks pretty clear in favor of Duncan, if you want the overall best player. True, Kobe has more offensive contribution, but defense counts too.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

Well I think I found the bit of minutia that will convince everyone that Kobe's career>Duncan's Career (that is what we're talking about right?)

Kobe:Weekly & Monthly Awards

Player of the Week: 33 times

Player of the Month: 17 times

Duncan: Weekly & Monthly Awards

Player of the Week: 23 times

Player of the Month: 3 times

POOLSIDE
    POOLSIDE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 586

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Some solid data, courtesy of basketball-reference.com

Kobe Bryant, 48093 minutes played, 172.6 Win shares, 72.2 Value over replacement player
    Tim Duncan, 46810 minutes played, 204.8 Win Shares, 88.6 Value over replacement player.

Looks pretty clear in favor of Duncan, if you want the overall best player. True, Kobe has more offensive contribution, but defense counts too.
    Defense counts too? In what fantasy world do you have Duncan as a better defender than Kobe? I don't give a shit what numbers come up. Guys simply were not going at Kobe for the majority of his career.

This is like saying another db is better than Richard Sherman because he had more interceptions. You're forgetting the part that doesn't show up on paper, where no one throws at Sherman more than once or twice a game.

Tony Williams
    Turquoise Jeep Records
    Tony Williams's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

wow a normal thread

First 123