NBA Maniac
    NBA Maniac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 116

Houston - How far they think they can go ?

Starting 5:

Point Guard:
    Patrick Beverley
    Shooting Guard: James Harden
    Small Forward: Trevor Ariza
    Power Forward: Donatas Motiejunas
    Center: Dwight Howard

Backup team:

Point Guard: Alexey Shved
    Shooting Guard: Corey Brewer & Jason Terry
    Small Forward: J. Smith
    Power Forward:
    Center:

I think they have a (+/-) balanced starting 5, now that they have Trevor Ariza. But what about the bench ? A few guys that like to throw Bricks. They really think they can go deep in the West playoffs ? and what will happen if or when J. Smith enters in starting 5 ??
    And not to forget Kevin Mchale IMO is a clueless coach....
    Last edited by NBA Maniac; 12-28-14 at 10:27 AM.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

West is always tough but unlike most years with Spurs or Okc I just don't see a clear fave I like. Do think Rocks have improved a bit but like always in playoffs depends on which matchup they pull. Do think they have a good shot getting past rnd 1 finally though. Wild wild west should be interesting this post season for sure and maybe see new team emerge.

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20364

I like their role players more than their stars. Beverly, Brewer, Ariza, and Shved are all good players. The problem is Harden, Howard and Smith are three huge losers. Anything can happen in the playoffs, but I don't like their chances of making the western conference finals.

NBA Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by KRIT View Post
    I like their role players more than their stars. Beverly, Brewer, Ariza, and Shved are all good players. The problem is Harden, Howard and Smith are three huge losers. Anything can happen in the playoffs, but I don't like their chances of making the western conference finals.
    They reaching the finals never crossed my mind !!!
    Betting against them to not reach the W. finals, may be a good bet, if we have nice odds.

Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

Josh Smith is not a small forward. If Smith plays the 3 then McHale is truly a braindead moron.

Their rotation is more like:

PG: Beverley/Canaan
    SG: Harden/Terry
    SF: Ariza/Brewer
    PF: Smith/Jones/D-Mo
    C: Howard/Dorsey

Obviously this is on paper and you'll see some of Terry playing the point in the 4th quarter when they need offense (offense/defense subs w/ Beverley), and Dorsey won't get many minutes, Smith, T Jones and D-Mo will all see time at the 5 in smaller lineups.

On paper this is a very very good team. But it's also an unproven team as far as a playoff scenario. Harden couldn't beat OKC in 2013 playing 2/3 of the series without Westbrook (and we saw how fukking awful they were without Westbrook in the next round) and couldn't beat a playoff newbie team in Portland last year, even getting fukking embarrassed by losing the first 2 games at home. He needs to prove he can lead this team somewhere.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the West just like I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose in the first round. This can really be said of most teams in that top 8 in the West. If anyone knows who is winning the West this year I'd love to hear it lol.

Seto

I didn't mention Shved. Is he going to be ahead of Canaan in the rotation? I guess that remains to be seen. Both are acceptable role players I guess.

Seto

Quote Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
    West is always tough but unlike most years with Spurs or Okc I just don't see a clear fave I like. Do think Rocks have improved a bit but like always in playoffs depends on which matchup they pull. Do think they have a good shot getting past rnd 1 finally though. Wild wild west should be interesting this post season for sure and maybe see new team emerge.
    This. Last year for example the West was already sick but despite all the great teams, the Spurs and Thunder (and maybe Clippers) were still considered to be a notch above everyone else.

This year it literally seems like we have 8 teams on the same level. It's crazy. I can't wait to be in April.

NBA Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    Josh Smith is not a small forward. If Smith plays the 3 then McHale is truly a braindead moron.
    Yes i know that, he plays PF position, but as mentioned before, McHale is a moron. So everything is possible there lol

NBA Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the West just like I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose in the first round. This can really be said of most teams in that top 8 in the West. If anyone knows who is winning the West this year I'd love to hear it lol.
    I can't see them winning the West. That is not acceptable. If that happen we should stop watching NBA lol

Buddelbaby
    Buddelbaby's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 414

Over 197 is good on this Game!

NBA Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Buddelbaby View Post
    Over 197 is good on this Game!
    I think it is wrong thread

Seto

Quote Originally Posted by NBA Maniac View Post
    I can't see them winning the West. That is not acceptable. If that happen we should stop watching NBA lol
    Don't forget the perception we have of a team can change very quickly.

The Mavs were perennial losers back in the day. Losing in the first round after winning 65+ games or something. Everyone thought they were still the same old soft team that would choke in the playoffs in 2011. People had them losing to Portland in the first round, that was EVERYONE's trendy upset pick. Then people thought the Lakers would sweep them.

A month or so later this team was all of a sudden gritty, tough, and most importantly champions.

I'm not saying this will happen to today's "soft" teams (ie the Rockets or Clippers) but we can't rule it out.

KRIT

I like Spurs today, seems like a good spot to take them. Houston still adjusting with the addition of Smith. Pop laid into his guys after the xmas day loss. Spurs desperate for a win....

Anyone agree with me here?

NBA Maniac

I like Spurs today, seems like a good spot to take them. Houston still adjusting with the addition of Smith. Pop laid into his guys after the xmas day loss. Spurs desperate for a win....

Anyone agree with me here?
    Lets first get Pistons, later we think about that game
    I need action

KRIT

Lets first get Pistons, later we think about that game
    I need action
    I usually don't pay much attention to NBA on Sunday's because of football, but the card looks good today. Pistons, Spurs, OKC and Nuggets all look good.

NBA Maniac

I usually don't pay much attention to NBA on Sunday's because of football, but the card looks good today. Pistons, Spurs, OKC and Nuggets all look good.
    Suns will burn again Lakers, Kobe will try to hit the basket 30+. LOL

But let's just talk about Houston here, please
    You are free to talk about today's card in my thread.

Glockoma
    Glockoma's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

Roster is nice on paper and great for the regular season. However for the playoffs, their playstyle really just doesn't work out with Harden isolations and tons of 3 pt shooting. I also agree that McHale is one of the most clueless coaches in the NBA, kinda like Marc Jackson to me. More of a motivator than a real coach.

1st or 2nd round tops.

Seto

This is all going to depend on matchups too. Nobody knows what they're going to be, they're changing almost every day.

KRIT

It really doesn't come down to adding players etc. Houston will only go as far as Harden and Howard take them. Unless they grow up soon, they are an early exit playoff team.

play4win
    play4win's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5173

not far if they end like against spurs today!

NBA Maniac

Suns will burn again Lakers, Kobe will try to hit the basket 30+. LOL

But let's just talk about Houston here, please
    You are free to talk about today's card in my thread.
    I end up taking Lakers.... Stupid Kobe only took 10 shots

NBA Maniac

I would like to have more people talking about Houston subject

nelsonrc24
    nelsonrc24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1089

In my opinion, west finals will be between okc, spurs and gsw. Im leaving Rockets out. Harden will choke, Ariza is shooting poorly, Beverley isnt that good, Josh Smith is a natural brick...

GIVEMETHEMONEY
    GIVEMETHEMONEY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4903

Not very far, my Spurs are still short handed and they kicked their asses the other night!!