gridironguy
    gridironguy's Avatar Become A Pro!

NBA teams up 2-0 are 153-8 historically, however...

Of the 8 teams to come back, 3 of those have happened in the past 3 seasons. It is clear that coming back from a 2-0 deficit, while extremely difficult, is not as difficult as it once was.

Last year, Miami came back from 0-2 to beat Dallas in the Finals.
    In 2005, Chicago was up 2-0 in the 1st round, and lost. And somebody did it in 2004 as well.

3 times in the past 3 years, and only 5 times historically before that.

This year, Chicago, Phoenix, and Houston, hold 2-0 leads. Phoenix will probably close out the Lakers in 5, perhaps 4, but Chicago and Houston had better be careful.

cincy_1
    cincy_1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by gridironguy View Post
    Of the 8 teams to come back, 3 of those have happened in the past 3 seasons. It is clear that coming back from a 2-0 deficit, while extremely difficult, is not as difficult as it once was.

Last year, Miami came back from 0-2 to beat Dallas in the Finals.
    In 2005, Chicago was up 2-0 in the 1st round, and lost. And somebody did it in 2004 as well.

3 times in the past 3 years, and only 5 times historically before that.

This year, Chicago, Phoenix, and Houston, hold 2-0 leads. Phoenix will probably close out the Lakers in 5, perhaps 4, but Chicago and Houston had better be careful.
    Teams don't give up anymore.

TheProphet
    TheProphet's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree with your thought process, but I think Houston is pretty safe Utah just isn't playing well and Houston is on a MISSION. T-Mac isn't going to let up he wants to see what going deep in playoffs feels like. Chicago of course is in trouble last years champions are a never quit team they proved that against Dallas. Lakers are probably dead if they get the series to a Game 6 that would be an accomplishment.

gridironguy
    gridironguy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by cincy_ View Post
    Teams don't give up anymore.
    I don't believe teams have more heart now than before -- in fact, if anything, it's the other way around. The old-schoolers had serious grit, and never gave up.

I believe the recent trend of 0-2 teams coming back 3 times in the past 3 yrs has everything to do with the following reasons:

1) First round is now best of 7, up from best 5. Teams who are down 0-2 now have more time to come back in each first round series. I believe it was 2002 when the 1st round went from 5 to 7 games.

2) Watered-down league. More even talent distribution means teams are more evenly matched. Up 2-0 is more a mirage than ever before.