SolidAsStone
    SolidAsStone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 421

What % of Posters on SBR actually are profitable do you think? 5%?

I was just curious what everyone thinks to this question... What % of Posters on SBR are actually profitable players on their posted plays? And obviously don't count the fools who tend to "make record mistakes" and/or those who like to keep only win/loss records, but no units so that they can play some huge moneylines to try to make themselves look better.

My estimate is probably 1/20 who post for more than 6 months actually are profitable so I would say 5%. And I would say about 25% of posters CLAIM to be profitable, but again are just lying about past records and sadly it seems there are A LOT of people who actually fall for that.

Anyways what do you you think? Over / Under 5% for profitable posters on SBR?

BigBurk
    BigBurk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5461

Under, easy.

Jimmy the Creep
    Jimmy the Creep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 321

I'm a slow learner. So I would say that if you have been working at this just about every day for say... 3 years or more you should have a petty good system by now and of course you need to have the discipline of a monk. In that case I would say close to 100%. Most of us will never understand that this is just like anything else you have done that is successful. You must fail many times and you must pick yourself up and do it again and again until you figure out what works. Of course, even when you get your shit together you still have to deal with the bank management thing. That's a bitch.

It's not really that hard. Don't over think it. Use the force.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: HardCore

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12810

Quote Originally Posted by SolidAsStone View Post
    I was just curious what everyone thinks to this question... What % of Posters on SBR are actually profitable players on their posted plays? And obviously don't count the fools who tend to "make record mistakes" and/or those who like to keep only win/loss records, but no units so that they can play some huge moneylines to try to make themselves look better.

My estimate is probably 1/20 who post for more than 6 months actually are profitable so I would say 5%. And I would say about 25% of posters CLAIM to be profitable, but again are just lying about past records and sadly it seems there are A LOT of people who actually fall for that.

Anyways what do you you think? Over / Under 5% for profitable posters on SBR?
    Well lets see, you have been here approximately 3 months and you already have an answer to your own question. So I guess we are all set. I don't think too many of the guys fabricate their records. What I do think, is that they don't post what a UNIT equals!!! So yes, you would be correct in that assumption. So some guy bets 5 units etc. how do we know it is not for a single $1.00. Why waste time putting in a bet for a dollar??? Best of luck and a very interesting question.

Jimmy the Creep
    Jimmy the Creep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 321

In the under world where I live. The demons demand that a unit is no more than 3% of my bank.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Creep View Post
    In the under world where I live. The demons demand that a unit is no more than 3% of my bank.
    Again, how do we know what a UNIT represents????? My posts are pretty cut & dried. Units, units, units that's all I ever read, what the heck does it mean???? Nothing I guess if the guy wants to keep it secret. BOL

El Sol
    El Sol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1802

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Creep View Post
    I've always used 1%....

Well,stone. As you stated, most lie about their gambling, its just a side effect of the trade so don't automatically believe anyone who says they're profitable. I made my first bet when I was nine and have been gambling ever since and I'm in my 40's. This is all I do, this is all I've ever done.

With that said, I would say about 1 - 2 % of the gamblers I've met are profitable and those were Poker players and Horse Players. I have not personally met anyone who is truly profitable at Sports Betting, doesn't mean they're aren't any. So I would say 1% here at SBR are, as creep alluded to, a good record doesn't mean profitable, how much did they bet? What were the Odds? Did they lose chasing?

El Sol

Quote Originally Posted by 44 Mag View Post
    Again, how do we know what a UNIT represents????? My posts are pretty cut & dried. Units, units, units that's all I ever read, what the heck does it mean???? Nothing I guess if the guy wants to keep it secret. BOL
    Dollar amount of a unit really isnt important, a unit generally refers to a percentage of your bankroll, usually between 1 - 5 %. The real question should be..."What's you bankroll?"

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13157

It's recreational for me now. I struggle to hover around even. I've been plus more than negative only because of my experience and discipline. For me the real question becomes is it really worth the effort? I love the highs and all but it's been a battle to maintain even. I'm not able or willing to put in the time some of you are. For months I've been considering a last ditch effort to 100K or whatever and if I'm done I'm done.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by El Sol View Post
    Dollar amount of a unit really isnt important, a unit generally refers to a percentage of your bankroll, usually between 1 - 5 %. The real question should be..."What's you bankroll?"
    Hey listen girl, I post everyday and signify what I post in U.S. Dollars. If you can add do the math yourself. By the way, how can a UNIT not matter??? So I wager 100.00 and some clown posts 10 bets for $1.00 ??? Yes that matters. BOL in your wagers. What are you doing a Capitol One Commercial, "What's in your wallet " LOL

SolidAsStone

Lots of good points made by everyone. All in all I think it pretty apparent that most people on SBR don't do well in the long run so it is important to make sure you know who you are taking our advice from. Me personally I have been looking at SBR for 5 years, but never made an account so I have the luxury of knowing who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't. For those who don't just STAY AWAY from anyone who lies about their records or anyone who bets wildly fluctuating amounts on game because usually that means they don't partake in proper bankroll management which I know isn't sexy, but it is EXTREMELY important to being a winning player. Anyway hope this helps serve as a warning to newbies that there are a lot of EGO maniacs on SBR just looking to look cool and pretend to be good players so watch out for them. And also don't forget that there also are very insightful players who post on SBR so find them and work together so we can all win!

moguler
    moguler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8093

Less than 1 percent. U know what? They lie, lie about how profitable they are. Don't believe them.

SolidAsStone

Yup well said. Like in said I've been following SBR forn5 years before joining and yeah 99% of people lie. Only trust people who have organized and accurate records with no " mistakes" as the liars like to call it when they get caught fudging their records.

El Sol

Quote Originally Posted by 44 Mag View Post
    Hey listen girl, I post everyday and signify what I post in U.S. Dollars. If you can add do the math yourself. By the way, how can a UNIT not matter??? So I wager 100.00 and some clown posts 10 bets for $1.00 ??? Yes that matters. BOL in your wagers. What are you doing a Capitol One Commercial, "What's in your wallet " LOL
    The reason why units are used is because Unit amounts change daily if you use proper bankroll management. Regardless, by your example, you are saying that a $100 bettor is better or more important that a $1 bettor. Then therefore a $1000 dollar bettor is better than the $100 bettor and so on...

The amount bet is completely relative to the individual and in no way is indicative of ones talent.

So by your logic, you would rather follow a whale who bets big but loses, than a poor college student who bets $50 but wins?

This is another reason why units are used, when properly utilized, its a far more effective format to gauge the talent of a handicapper.

By the way, if you ever want to put your money where your mouth is, put up $10,000 and we can have either a handicapping challenge or play heads up poker, your choice. I'll even pay the airfare to L.A. if you want to play poker
    Last edited by El Sol; 03-25-14 at 11:08 PM.