View Poll Results: What's the bigger "X factor" in an NBA game?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Injuries

3 37.50%
  • Referees

5 62.50%
    fearless
    fearless's Avatar Become A Pro!

What's the bigger "X factor" in an NBA game?

From a sports betting perspective.

In my mind, there's no question, the refs. Anyone who watched the finals last year couldn't deny that. The fact is, the refs can decide nearly any NBA game any time.

More info on this:

http://www.bet2gamble.com/PlayerReso...NBA_Fix_1.html
    http://www.bet2gamble.com/PlayerReso...NBA_Fix_2.html
    http://www.bet2gamble.com/PlayerReso...NBA_Fix_3.html

fearless

I just found this quote by Mavs owner Mark Cuban and I thought of this thread and articles above (because last years finals were clearly an example of the theory asserted in those articles, imo). Anyways, I wonder what Cuban meant by this statement, any thoughts?

"I couldn't deal with the NBA," Cuban said. "There was things that I couldn't imagine happening in the Finals that happened in the Finals. You don't even know a tenth of it -- stuff I didn't get fined for and that was just too outrageous for me to even say publicly. And so I was like, 'I'm done.'"

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Refs can decide any game. Happens all the time. Does it matter from a betting perspective? No. Why not? Because in the long run it all evens out. Does it matter to fans? Hell yes.

Basketball has more calls than any other sport I'm aware of, and the make up call (right after a questionable call) is almost an integral part of the sport.

Injuries are usually known before the game. Depending on who is injured, their impact tends to even out less on a team by team basis over the course of a season. Therefore, injuries have a greater influence over a team's season.

From a betting perspective, injuries are part of the tangibles that can be capped rather easily from game to game. Unlike refs.

So, summarizing, in the longterm refs even out, where injuries cause imbalances between teams. And in the short term injuries can be capped, while refs are much harder to factor in.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 03-17-07 at 05:56 AM.

ShamsWoof10
    ShamsWoof10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Good Thread DHorse.. I agree with most of what you have to say on that... I also found that quote by Mark C. very interesting.... I really wonder what he ment by that quote..

fearless

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    Refs can decide any game. Happens all the time. Does it matter from a betting perspective? No. Why not? Because in the long run it all evens out. Does it matter to fans? Hell yes.

Basketball has more calls than any other sport I'm aware of, and the make up call (right after a questionable call) is almost an integral part of the sport.

Injuries are usually known before the game. Depending on who is injured, their impact tends to even out less on a team by team basis over the course of a season. Therefore, injuries have a greater influence over a team's season.

From a betting perspective, injuries are part of the tangibles that can be capped rather easily from game to game. Unlike refs.

So, summarizing, in the longterm refs even out, where injuries cause imbalances between teams. And in the short term injuries can be capped, while refs are much harder to factor in.
    I think what you're saying is that refs are a bigger X factor than injuries from game to game but injuries are a bigger X factor over the course of a season? Is that right?

fearless

Quote Originally Posted by ShamsWoof10 View Post
    Good Thread DHorse.. I agree with most of what you have to say on that... I also found that quote by Mark C. very interesting.... I really wonder what he ment by that quote..
    I wonder too. It's a shocking comment when you realize that he's been involved with the NBA for a long time and he apparently found out some things in the finals that made him want to give up on the NBA completely and sell his beloved team! It's astounding when you think about it. I wish I knew what he found out.
    Last edited by fearless; 03-17-07 at 08:23 AM.

dirtyjock
    dirtyjock's Avatar Become A Pro!

My answer goes both ways. Yes the refs could decide everygame. But I do say that injuries are a bigger x factor. We are talking about in game injuries right? Think if a Koke or LBJ gets hurt in the 1st half of a playoff game. Surely it will be a bigger xfactor since the best player is not playing and those teams need there star player. But injuries occur alot less the bad calls from the refs. But when they do happen I think the cause a bigger xfactor.
    Last edited by dirtyjock; 03-17-07 at 10:34 AM. Reason: typo

fearless

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjock View Post
    My answer goes both ways. Yes the refs could decide everygame. But I do say that injuries are a bigger x factor. We are talking about in game injuries right? Think if a Koke or LBJ gets hurt in the 1st half of a playoff game. Surely it will be a bigger xfactor since the best player is not playing and those teams need there star player. But injuries occur alot less the bad calls from the refs. But when they do happen I think the cause a bigger xfactor.
    I was originally thinking of in game injuries, yes.