Menses
    Menses's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5815

Foks...Victor Oladipo Is the next NBA Superstar..

This kid is something else..I knew there was something special about this fella when he told Battier on draft night that he was upset at the fact that the draft was taking away from his practice time..LOL...this fella is a Gym rat...so much so that the actual rats in the gym tell him to go home to get some rest...can shoot, pass, dribble and guard the two three and the four...he is still a little raw on defense...but can improve...look at his tryout from over the summer...

upscope
    upscope's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6685

First thing you've ever said that actually makes sense

PickyBob
    PickyBob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 469

I hope he doesn't follow suit of #2 picks over the course of the NBA history, hold you one Kevin Durant and a few others.
    I like this kid. I have a future on his ROY prospects (+300) so I hope you're right.

CJ
    CJ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5812

I'm still not sold on this guy. I've felt he has a really good chance to underachieve, in fact I don't see how he can meet the lofty expectations everyone has for him. Why didn't he come onto the scene until his Junior year at Indiana? His defense is pretty solid, especially on the perimeter, but his offensive game is what's still raw IMO. He's definitely not the type of player a team can rely on to be their go-to scorer. I think all the comparisons to Wade are total BS and wishful thinking, I see a better version of Tony Allen. I can justify the pick though, and it certainly was better than Cleveland's asinine selection of Jason Maxiell v2.0. Still, I think the Magic will ultimately regret taking Oladipo over Ben McLemore.

Menses

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    I'm still not sold on this guy. I've felt he has a really good chance to underachieve, in fact I don't see how he can meet the lofty expectations everyone has for him. Why didn't he come onto the scene until his Junior year at Indiana? His defense is pretty solid, especially on the perimeter, but his offensive game is what's still raw IMO. He's definitely not the type of player a team can rely on to be their go-to scorer. I think all the comparisons to Wade are total BS and wishful thinking, I see a better version of Tony Allen. I can justify the pick though, and it certainly was better than Cleveland's asinine selection of Jason Maxiell v2.0. Still, I think the Magic will ultimately regret taking Oladipo over Ben McLemore.
    I must respectfully disagree....its his defense that needs work. Did you not see what he did to the Cleveland perimeter defense 2 nights ago? Its been a while since we've seen a kid come into the league ready to work from jump...but thats what happens when kids go to college and learn the game...for a couple of years, like Oladipo has and it shows..Have you watched McLemore? his defense is lack luster to say the least...he can shoot but is not nearly as effective from beyond the arc as Victor is....but that's what happens when kids only go to college for a year...Anthony Bennet, is a unique player with a unique skill set...this guy can bang down low and shoot from 10 to 15....and built like a firetruck...he's foul trouble for anybody guarding him..he single handedly destroyed Orlando in the 4th quarter the other night.....can't blame the Cavs for the pick.......Waiters is playing well at the 2...Oladipo at this point would have been over kill....
    Last edited by Menses; 10-13-13 at 10:44 AM.

CJ

I haven't watched much pre-season yet - I did see a bit of the summer league games -, so pardon my ignorance, as I'm still basing most of my opinions of these players based on what they accomplished in college.

I hope I'm wrong about Oladipo, as I'd love to see him succeed, but I've got a pretty good track record (not that this is documented, nor can you really bet it beyond RotY futures) on tabbing what players will make the jump to the pros successfully. I feel like Oladipo works hard enough that he won't be a total bust, but I strongly believe the Wade comparisons are absurd. His offense is based mostly on his athleticism right now too, and that doesn't always translate well to the NBA where almost everyone is freakishly athletic. I also think Orlando is a very strange fit, as they still have Afflalo at the 2. Why wasn't he moved in the off-season? At 6'4, Oladipo isn't going to play SF in the NBA. This puts Oladipo behind the 8-ball as his playing time will be more limited than it should be for a team that bad.

I will concede McLemore's shooting was very erratic all Summer, and there's got to be concern there as the kid needs to learn better shot selection. I was pretty dejected that he went 7th to the Kings though, as I thought he would've looked great in a Pistons jersey. Alas, the Pistons aren't going to have steals like Monroe and Drummond fall to them every year. Plus I have no idea how McLemore would get any shots with the players Detroit added.

As for Bennett I think he was the biggest reach in the draft. I saw him as low as 10th on some draft boards, and had a good chuckle when the Cavs took him at #1. What is that team thinking? He's under-sized, injury prone, and is already overweight. Just because he went to UNLV does not make him the second coming of Larry Johnson. First off, LJ was far more dominant in college, second LJ was more polished, completing 2 years of JuCo before taking UNLV to back to back final fours and a national title, finally LJ had injury issues that prevented him from being one of the greats too! Furthermore, didn't they just draft a similar player in Tristan Thompson? Cavs should've probably traded down, but then again I doubt any team was that interested in trading up to #1 last Summer.

All that said, I don't think Bennett will be the biggest bust of the draft. That distinction should go to Alex Len. I'm assuming the management in Phoenix spent the bulk of the Summer drinking, and that's why they made this pick. Noel was gift-wrapped for them, instead they took the 7ft international gump... which we all know works so well... he'll spend a considerable amount of time on the bench, probably nursing ankle and back issues. He'll join a list of players like Jan Vesely, Ekpe Udoh, Hasheem Thabeet, Yi Jianlian, Mouhamed Sene, Rafael Araujo, and team captain Darko Milicic.

Menses

I implore you...to watch the rest of the pre-season games or at least the games involving the higher picks...yes Alex Len is a tad bit overrated...but I will continue to monitor his progress...I did not even realize they were comparing Oladipo to Wade. Thats a bit extreme...but as usual...hype springs eternal...I see more Isiah in him than Wade, but of course, its his athleticism that I guess draws that comparison...The Magic have stated that Victor will be relied on heavily...there will be no smooth transition period here...he is going to get the minutes...which may or may not be a good thing, time will tell. Bennett has indeed gained weight...I dun know what the hell happened between draft day and pre-season...I suspect partying and eating...you should have seen him huffing and puffing during the Magic game the other night....he could barely give a post game interview.....regardless...he took over and dropped 16 in the 4th quarter...including 2 from beyond....The Cavs are thinking along the lines of going big 40 minutes a game....Bynum, Tristan, Bennett....and their backcourt might be deadly with Waiters and Kyrie...If Bennett's shot improves...thats a problem for anybody who faces them....I dun agree with the LJ comparisons either.....again...hype makes people anxious...

willo
    willo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 604

keep an eye on Mclemore, if he catches fire, look out. Will get plenty of court time and will also have the green light.
    oladipo does look strong, but if Bennett plays like he did a few days ago, he will certainly give it a shake.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

i agree.

who drafted him?

CJ

Menses, I think a lot of people were grasping at straws trying to compare these guys to any name player because this draft was so soft.

I need to check out some more pre-season action for sure, as I've got designs on another solid year of bball picks.

I must ask about Bennett's 4th quarter outburst, was this against Glen Davis or was it the Magic's summer league guys? If he gets in shape, he could be solid, but that seems to be a big if right now.

Also still not sure why the Magic haven't moved Afflalo so as not to impede Oladipo's progression.

Menses

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Menses, I think a lot of people were grasping at straws trying to compare these guys to any name player because this draft was so soft.

I need to check out some more pre-season action for sure, as I've got designs on another solid year of bball picks.

I must ask about Bennett's 4th quarter outburst, was this against Glen Davis or was it the Magic's summer league guys? If he gets in shape, he could be solid, but that seems to be a big if right now.

Also still not sure why the Magic haven't moved Afflalo so as not to impede Oladipo's progression.
    Davis is still out with a foot injury...no timetable on his return....Oladipo played 30 minutes vs Affalo's 18 against the Cavs...According to Magic...Magic have nobody else at backup....Dipo is going to play a lot of minutes...you gotta watch the games man...it is clear why they are relying on him...even though he should not be worked to heavily in his first year...

DoYouNotGetIT
    DoYouNotGetIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Think superstar or two will come out of that draft but too early to tell, because we haven't had that instant great star player since 2009. Oladipo was never that guy when his team was struggling to get a basket to get the basket which all superstars do.

Maybe they all the instant great players come out next year, but we haven't had a great SG or SF since Durant in 2007 and 2009 is when some instant stars were born.

(Harden to me is a A- Superstar guy who is great, but not elite. He is a Scottie Pippen to me.)

PickyBob
    PickyBob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 469

Quote Originally Posted by DoYouNotGetIT View Post
    (Harden to me is a A- Superstar guy who is great, but not elite. He is a Scottie Pippen to me.)
    1. Don't even compare Harden to Pippen. Ever. Not even the same echelon.
    2. Pippen possessed more tools than an "A- Superstar guy" and is considered elite.

I think you don't get it, sir.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

If he is, NBA in serious trouble.