italianbandit
    italianbandit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2767

Quote Originally Posted by vyomguy View Post
    Honestly, I will retire from gambling once I am married. Gambling sucks the life out of you. Its not worth making extra money if you are not able to spend time with family and friends.

I know many people will come out and say that you need to have balance. But I am one of those people who goes all-in in anything I do. If I am betting, I put 100% of my time into it..includes analyzing lines, tweaking models, scrapping data..and worst part, actually watching the game. I would never watch any of the games if I didnt have any action on it.

This would all be much easier if the whole thing was 100% legal in US. Nope, it not. You have to go through so much bullshit even when you win. I had so many issues in getting payouts even from "top" books.

Plan to do this thing maybe 1-2 years until I get married. After that cash out most of the winnings and never look back. Dont want to end up being a degenerate. I know I am starting to sound like the legendary poster "Nicky"...but what he was saying was right.
    Great post. Having done this professionally for 10 years being single and now having a business, wife and 2 kids, I couldn't agree more. There are some things that can be done to minimize the reduction in the quality of one's life - once your personal life gets busier. One thing that has worked for me is to just specialize in one sport ( for me it's baseball. ) This gives me months off to recover. Since baseball has such a robust advanced stats model, I can skip watching most games. Much discipline is needed though, to skip over other sports during the year. I also take random days and weeks off, where I don't look at anything. I need to keep my units low, which keeps it close to hobby for me. If I had 30 -50,000 on side like I did 20 years ago, there is no way I would be able to do anything else but analyze data and watch games.
    Unfortunately time is limited and without a varied spectrum of experience you will die unsatisfied. This is where investors of the market have it much better than us -as there are many built in days off during the year. I wished I liked stocks.

SlickRick1382
    If hustlin' is a must; be Sosa, not Tony
    SlickRick1382's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11517

Quote Originally Posted by italianbandit View Post
    Great post. Having done this professionally for 10 years being single and now having a business, wife and 2 kids, I couldn't agree more. There are some things that can be done to minimize the reduction in the quality of one's life - once your personal life gets busier. One thing that has worked for me is to just specialize in one sport ( for me it's baseball. ) This gives me months off to recover. Since baseball has such a robust advanced stats model, I can skip watching most games. Much discipline is needed though, to skip over other sports during the year. I also take random days and weeks off, where I don't look at anything. I need to keep my units low, which keeps it close to hobby for me. If I had 30 -50,000 on side like I did 20 years ago, there is no way I would be able to do anything else but analyze data and watch games.
    Unfortunately time is limited and without a varied spectrum of experience you will die unsatisfied. This is where investors of the market have it much better than us -as there are many built in days off during the year. I wished I liked stocks.

Similar to what I was trying to say to an extent in my previous post and I agree wholeheartedly ....

italianbandit
    italianbandit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2767

Yes, Slick good post as well. We must have been writing at the same time. I'll be very happy to give you 100 points soon.

amrit
    amrit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1613

Quote Originally Posted by slickrick1382 View Post
    my sources confirmed that lala does not taste like honey nut cheerios, she in fact tastes like coco puffs....
    looooool

El Sol
    El Sol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1802

Honestly, I will retire from gambling once I am married. Gambling sucks the life out of you. Its not worth making extra money if you are not able to spend time with family and friends.

Spot on,

I've been gambling literally for over 25 years. I've tried to calm some of the kids down here and give sound advice but I'm often met with hostility and stupidity.

It is true, Gambling will consume you and possibly ruin you. It almost ruined me. The only way I could control my gambling was to first convince my wife and a friend, who hate gambling, that I know what I'm doing and then include them. We formed a gambling group with each individual responsible for various tasks. My wife handles the Money, my friend who's a stoic professional places the bets , Myself and one other makes the picks depending on the sport and additional investors come and go. I had to take the money out of my hands. It was the only thing that would save our marriage.

Problem with this method is that there are only a handful of books that can handle our action, so our line selection is limited and profit is slow an steady. The slow profit part creates a problem because I occasional have sneak in a deposit to feed the dragon, and always lose it. Then I have to explain to the wife where the money went, and usually lie doing it and in come the headaches.

In order to survive this hobby into the future is to marry a women (or man) who hates gambling and who has the love and self control to help you control it. If you cant find one, then you have to quit gambling or else suffer a life of misery.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: SlickRick1382, and vyomguy

RabidGolfer
    Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!
    RabidGolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 519

Quote Originally Posted by El Sol View Post
    Spot on,

I've been gambling literally for over 25 years. I've tried to calm some of the kids down here and give sound advice but I'm often met with hostility and stupidity.

It is true, Gambling will consume you and possibly ruin you. It almost ruined me. The only way I could control my gambling was to first convince my wife and a friend, who hate gambling, that I know what I'm doing and then include them. We formed a gambling group with each individual responsible for various tasks. My wife handles the Money, my friend who's a stoic professional places the bets , Myself and one other makes the picks depending on the sport and additional investors come and go. I had to take the money out of my hands. It was the only thing that would save our marriage.

Problem with this method is that there are only a handful of books that can handle our action, so our line selection is limited and profit is slow an steady. The slow profit part creates a problem because I occasional have sneak in a deposit to feed the dragon, and always lose it. Then I have to explain to the wife where the money went, and usually lie doing it and in come the headaches.

In order to survive this hobby into the future is to marry a women (or man) who hates gambling and who has the love and self control to help you control it. If you cant find one, then you have to quit gambling or else suffer a life of misery.
    That's some heavy potatoes there. I just got into this as a hobby about two years ago, and still consider it recreational. Problem is, until this month my money management sucked and I would lose it all pretty quickly. Now I'm actually picking winners (about 60%) and making money, and starting to catch a vision for what it could be.

I guess I don't understand why it could ruin you or your marriage. I watch my home teams, but not every game. I also don't do my research at home (I own my own business and do it during the day). My wife thinks gambling is bad, but tolerates it since I started small and am not making continuous deposits. From the way you guys talk, it sounds like becoming an addict or degenerate is simply a matter of time. That can't be true, can it?

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

Quote Originally Posted by RabidGolfer View Post
    From the way you guys talk, it sounds like becoming an addict or degenerate is simply a matter of time. That can't be true, can it?
    If you are losing, its easy to quit. Its when you win, you become a real addict...because you want to win more and more...thats human nature.
    Points Awarded:

mitch51 gave vyomguy 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

mvanja
    mvanja's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 337

From what I can understand, you guys are not talking about recr betting, so RabidGolfer if you are betting 100$ a unit you should be fine

RabidGolfer

Quote Originally Posted by mvanja View Post
    From what I can understand, you guys are not talking about recr betting, so RabidGolfer if you are betting 100$ a unit you should be fine
    Am now, but I was hoping to build on that. Maybe I'll readjust my goals.

SlickRick1382

All this meaningful discussion and thoughtful posts have no business on SBR damnit .... Lets stop this nonsense ...

On a serious note we need a meeting of the minds here. El Sol, vyomguy, italianbandit when are you guys coming to NJ so we can discuss over 40oz steaks and a bottle of wine?

mvanja
    mvanja's Avatar SBR PRO

It makes sense, If u treat ur betting as a hobby u will lose some and then win some and u still have ur daily job with an income that covers ur expenses and ur hobby.
    If u go to another level as Nicky was talking in his post it will consume you and your time. Then you will have to treat it like your job. At that point things change. Betting becomes your daily job, your social life becomes a hobby and ur betting becomes a profession.

Think about it

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

vyom and italianbandit have had great posts in this thread. Sharp for life. Pay attention young bucks.

RabidGolfer

It makes sense, If u treat ur betting as a hobby u will lose some and then win some and u still have ur daily job with an income that covers ur expenses and ur hobby.
    If u go to another level as Nicky was talking in his post it will consume you and your time. Then you will have to treat it like your job. At that point things change. Betting becomes your daily job, your social life becomes a hobby and ur betting becomes a profession.

Think about it
    I guess that makes sense. I don't think I'm in danger though, because I don't put that much time into picking. I supposed if I ever get into handicapping, time could become an issue though. I would love to get to the point where I'm making an extra one or two G's a month, but I don't think that would be considered a large amount.

mvanja
    mvanja's Avatar SBR PRO

I guess that makes sense. I don't think I'm in danger though, because I don't put that much time into picking. I supposed if I ever get into handicapping, time could become an issue though. I would love to get to the point where I'm making an extra one or two G's a month, but I don't think that would be considered a large amount.
    What ever u decide BOL.

GreekMagic
    GreekMagic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1005

That's some heavy potatoes there. I just got into this as a hobby about two years ago, and still consider it recreational. Problem is, until this month my money management sucked and I would lose it all pretty quickly. Now I'm actually picking winners (about 60%) and making money, and starting to catch a vision for what it could be.

I guess I don't understand why it could ruin you or your marriage. I watch my home teams, but not every game. I also don't do my research at home (I own my own business and do it during the day). My wife thinks gambling is bad, but tolerates it since I started small and am not making continuous deposits. From the way you guys talk, it sounds like becoming an addict or degenerate is simply a matter of time. That can't be true, can it?
    The day you live bet on Chinese Womens Volleyball is the day you'll realize you're ******

vyomguy

Warriors Under 189 -102
    Dallas +1 -110

Both for 1 unit

RabidGolfer

Quote Originally Posted by GreekMagic View Post
    The day you live bet on Chinese Womens Volleyball is the day you'll realize you're ******
    The closest I've come to that is betting $50 on some European handball game total, and spending an hour at work watching the results on some foreign website. I haven't been that low since.

mvanja
    mvanja's Avatar SBR PRO

The closest I've come to that is betting $50 on some European handball game total, and spending an hour at work watching the results on some foreign website. I haven't been that low since.
    Watch ur mouth Rabid... That's my team playing
    I'm from Croatia and even I didn't bet the game i'm sweating my ass off

I'would appreciated some support here

,They fkn lost, playing like little girls.... lazy bastards SF, world championship and playing like girls...
    Last edited by mvanja; 01-25-13 at 04:05 PM.

RabidGolfer

Watch ur mouth Rabid... That's my team playing
    I'm from Croatia and even I didn't bet the game i'm sweating my ass off

I'would appreciated some support here

,They fkn lost, playing like little girls.... lazy bastards SF, world championship and playing like girls...
    Nah, this was over a year ago. I don't watch that stuff now. Not even sure what the rules are. But for what it's worth, go croatia.

mvanja
    mvanja's Avatar SBR PRO

Nah, this was over a year ago. I don't watch that stuff now. Not even sure what the rules are. But for what it's worth, go croatia.
    THX man, we are fkn done... Tomorrow we play for bronze medal 3rd big championship in row. we always lose is semis.

mvanja
    mvanja's Avatar SBR PRO

Guys what do u think about Boston +5,5 and Brooklyn +4,5 tonight, any1

vyomguy

knicks -4.5 -105 2nd half
    bulls under 92 -104 2nd half

vyomguy

bucks 2nd half -1.5 -103

vyomguy

heat 2nd half under 93.5 -104

vyomguy

Magic 1st half +5.5 -105
    Raptors +1.5 -109
    Rockets +3.5 -102
    76ers +1.5 -110
    Kings +7.5 -109

amrit

^^ Hey vyom, I know you're in a rush to get your plays in before the superbowl. How confident are you in these plays? Which would you say are the top 3 plays out of these.

SlickRick1382

Will update shortly

vyomguy

Quote Originally Posted by amrit View Post
    ^^ Hey vyom, I know you're in a rush to get your plays in before the superbowl. How confident are you in these plays? Which would you say are the top 3 plays out of these.
    76ers, magic and kings.

amrit

Thanks a lot. Goodluck I will be tailing those 3. How do you feel about Indiana +5.5?

RabidGolfer

Magic 1st half +5.5 -105
    Raptors +1.5 -109
    Rockets +3.5 -102
    76ers +1.5 -110
    Kings +7.5 -109
    All dogs. I think you'll be 3-2 at best. Good luck though!

vyomguy

Nets 2nd half under 96.5 -105

vyomguy

bobcats 2nd half under 91 -105

vyomguy

cavs +1.5 -110 for 3 units