thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

It's not the game that was fixed, it's you that got fukkkked

People stop complaining about games being fixed in professional sports, they are not. Games are however officiated by morons in some cases, i.e. Gallaraga's no hitter. In a game like that the guy is out unless he is clearly safe, that was the opposite. Good luck and may the fukkkk we with you.

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

y the hell would a no hitter be rigged? that could be the stupidest reference

read donaghys book and you will come around

Sport_Fish
    Sport_Fish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2039

If you think match fixing doesn't exist in this world, your delusional.

However, it doesn't happen near as often as people think it does. More often than not, it's just plays that appear to be fixed, but in reality are just stupid mistakes/choices made by athletes during games.

bleek88
    The picture of me on SBR is FAKE NOT ME
    bleek88's Avatar Become A Pro!

how is that book btw? i should read it.

bleek88
    The picture of me on SBR is FAKE NOT ME
    bleek88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Sport_Fish View Post
    If you think match fixing doesn't exist in this world, your delusional.

However, it doesn't happen near as often as people think it does. More often than not, it's just plays that appear to be fixed, but in reality are just stupid mistakes/choices made by athletes during games.

+1.

EVPlus
    EVPlus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 451

It's easy to call a game fixed if you were on the wrong side. And I agree most games are not fixed. However, to argue that ALL games are clean is highly debatable.

It's not a coincidence that the games donghy officiated hit at close to 60%. And to believe that he is the ONLY ref to engage in this is naive. He was the only one that got busted. The ice berg theory: he represents the tip. Obviously not all refs are dirty.

As for the pro athletes possibly shaving points here and there, again most of these guys are probably decent people. However, to think they are all saints is, again, naive. Back in the 80s I believe the Bengals were accused of gang rape. We all know about Kobe and Vick. And the player for the Bears who was accused of smuggling dope. There are other examples but these are the ones that come to mind. Am I saying Kobe is shaving points? No - what I am saying is pro athletes are human and as such are susceptible to human flaws such as greed.

As for the commision (nba, mlb, and others), anyone who believes that the highest echelon of ANY corporation does not engage in shady deals behind closed doors is idealistic to the point of being naive. I wish I saved a report in which a mlb bigshot was telling an ump to give a more generous strike zone so the game would move faster. There are other examples such as Enron.

Professional sports is a business in case anyone forgot. And like all businesses they are susceptible to corruption.

Our jobs as sports bettors is to spot this and take advantage of it.

blankoblanco
    blankoblanco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29970

the rigging of games professionally as well as point shaving are a part of sports history. so if you think it 100% doesn't happen at all anymore, even in the form of subtle influences, then you're incredibly naive.

that doesn't mean it happens all the time though. and it's hard to isolate what may be a very subtly influenced referee, in the course of an entire game with all its randomness and variance. i think it's extremely rare for the outcome to be "fixed" but i believe that games are sometimes called in a way as to give one side a minor advantage. but it doesn't mean that side won't still lose

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

It's been proven that refs have cheated and players have shaved points. How can you dispute the arrests, penalties, and investigations? I mean, I don't know what else I have to say.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2011/12/24/match_fixing/
    http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18560_162-5880547.html
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...0/asu_shaving/
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4146980

- Players in Italy got arrested for it
    - Tim Donaghy went to prison for it.
    - There was an Arizona State point shaving scandal
    - There was a Toledo point shaving scandal

There is a ton more but I don't feel like giving a link to every story. Just this previous year Auburn basketball and Hawai'i footbal got investigated. You're oblivious if you don't think it's happened because it has and will continue to happen.

Marco T
    Marco T's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

fixed games do happen not often in pro sports money just isnt worth it there already rich, but in college when your making your school millions and getting nothing youll take what you can get.

also bookmakers are just that damn good.