PR9
    PR9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 651

Social media and it's effect on performance/sports betting

Found the link on another board. However I do have some first hand experience with this phenomenon..

During the NFL season I remember the KC Chiefs tweeting about how much fun they had out partying the Saturday night before hosting the Miami Dolphins.. they talked about how late they stayed up & getting drunk off their asses. I didn't search for it myself, but it was linked by a forum member on a Dolphins forum the morning before game time. The Dolphins were a putrid 0-7 at the time with no end to the misery in sight, Andrew Luck talk was prevalent.

Well, the Dolphins walked into Kansas City and beat the crap out of those hungover clowns by 30. And it was quite evident in their play. Moreover, you can check out tidbits of info that can be helpful (IE: Portland's plane landing at 4:30am in Phoenix and the players not being in bed til 6am for a game that night, etc). Can possibly give you insight how players feel rejuvenated after a team meeting, saying how they feel really ready to have a great game in their next matchup,, etc etc.

Here is a link that has most NBA players and NBA people in one nice little place:

http://www.tweeting-athletes.com/ind...tID=3&People=1

riffraff24
    ...and out come the wolves
    riffraff24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

PR9

These guys aren't robots they're human beings. And human beings talk shit

IE: as I indicated in another thread, I had Miami all day and predicted they would beat SA by about the margin they beat em last year at home which was 25 pts (22 pts yesterday). Later I found out that Heat players threw a big birthday bash for Dwyane Wade yesterday before the game, and it was a big deal. Probably why they were still dazed from that in the 1st half, and then woke up in the 2nd to blow the Spurs out of the building . Had I noticed it sooner I probably wouldn't have laid 3u Miami 1H and gotten greedy (would have been more apprehensive on it), but they more than made up for it with my 5u bet on the game.

Bottom line is you can gain things from it. Player moods and where their minds are at. Player interviews are also an excellent tool which can be found by their local media (videos) as well as the team site.

Last edited by PR9; 01-18-12 at 02:40 PM.

Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

1. Don't they have to sign contracts to not use social media during the season? Can you imagine some famous athlete coming on this forum?

2. Don't they have to sign contracts to not act like drunken clowns the night before an NFL! regular season game? Coach wouldn't allow this.

PR9

Quote Originally Posted by Masu485 View Post
    1. Don't they have to sign contracts to not use social media during the season?
    look what players say all the time. There's your answer

2. Don't they have to sign contracts to not act like drunken clowns the night before an NFL! regular season game? Coach wouldn't allow this.
    it was well publicized at the time. look it up ;-)

Future24
    Future24's Avatar Become A Pro!

So what's the best place to find these tweets? I don't want to look up every player individually...

Avenger
    Avenger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

great thread. thanks!

I wish SBR posters would post this stuff more rather than their pseudo-capping. I don't want to read everyone's tweets but maybe if we break it up, one person takes all players from one team and reports in if they read something interesting?