sanchez
    sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!

Rajon Rondo overrated?

Does anyone else think he is overrated? He has an unbelievable team around him, shooters and big men, of course he can get a lot of assists. I guess he works ok for the Celtics.

But do you really trust him to shoot the ball with the game on the line? I watched the Celtics/Heat tonight and I saw another example near the end of them letting Rondo shoot and him missing.

At the end of the game, down by 1, is he really the PG you want holding the ball?

There are a lot of guys I'd take ahead of him to have the ball in their hands at the end of the game when you need a score.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Rondo is actually underrated IMHO.

branrave
    branrave's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hard to say, he is overrated and underrated at the same time

sanchez

His free throw percentage this year is 56%

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

he has allen, pierce and ganett to give the ball to who can score pretty easily....assists are damn easy to get for celtic PG. rando is a terrible FT shooter..yes even worse dwight howard...he shoots only 50% from FT line....his jump shots never hit...only when he drives to the basket he is effective where he makes easy layups. Rando should not be an all-star. Raymond Felton for example would do way better job than rando in celtics uniform.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

he was a little better last year, it's true, he does have trouble shooting in general. but hes an excellent ball handler. He needs to drive to the rim more, he's being a pussy.

jacer333
    jacer333's Avatar Become A Pro!

LMFAO....did you watch the game today? Without him, Boston loses this by 10 easily. His shooting hurts, but creativity and defense far make up for this. Anyone looking squarely at his shooting and saying he is overrated is extremely ignorant.

sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by jacer333 View Post
    LMFAO....did you watch the game today? Without him, Boston loses this by 10 easily. His shooting hurts, but creativity and defense far make up for this. Anyone looking squarely at his shooting and saying he is overrated is extremely ignorant.
    How can you trust him when it matters most at the end of the game? He can't make the shot if he has to

sanchez

I'm not denying that he is the MVP on the celtics, but that doesn't mean there aren't 10 PGs better than him

LBRookie
    LBRookie's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by branrave View Post
    Hard to say, he is overrated and underrated at the same time
    This is so true. The only way we can find out if he gets traded to another team in the future. Rondo playing for the Celts makes people imply that he is overrated, due to the fact that he has so many weapons. But the fact is being a PG for the Celts isn't as easy as some people think.

1. Making a assist isn't only about passing the ball to a teammate. A true pg knows where to put the ball to each individual player, knows where the players likes to catch it, and knows what player to pass it to in a given situation. Rondo has proven time and time again that he can do this.

2. When Rondo is on the floor he is the GENERAL. What Rondo says goes on the offensive side of the court. The fact that three future Hall of Famers( Allen, Pierce, Garnett ) give this guy that much respect tells me alot. When Rondo does not like something on the offensive end or dosen't like the placement of players he tells them where to go or what he wants to run.

The only knock of this guys game is that he can't shoot. He can't shoot a jumper or a free throw to save his life. All of the other aspects of his game is legit. Like I said above, the only real way to find out is if he gets traded to another team.

kmoneygrip
    kmoneygrip's Avatar Become A Pro!

There is prob not even 5 better than him.
    He does not need to shoot. He controls the game....there is not many pgs like him. And his d is second to none.
    His vision is unmatched.

Rondo with the steal, fake pass, dish left for the 3333333.......Why Shoot?

yassen28
    yassen28's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15848

He needs to improve his shooting, FT and 3 points a lot. But his defense is great and he knows when to pass the ball .

MarlinsFan2212
    MarlinsFan2212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

I think that hes a player that thrives when he has the right pieces around him, and thats exactly the case in Boston. Its hard to say hes overrated, because he has a very unique skill set. He cant shoot well, however, he can blow by any defender, passes extremely well, and is an All-NBA first team caliber defender.

But I look at it like this. If Rondo was on the Twolves, Wizards, Cavs etc. we may never have even heard of him.

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

Quote Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
    Does anyone else think he is overrated? He has an unbelievable team around him, shooters and big men, of course he can get a lot of assists. I guess he works ok for the Celtics.

But do you really trust him to shoot the ball with the game on the line? I watched the Celtics/Heat tonight and I saw another example near the end of them letting Rondo shoot and him missing.

At the end of the game, down by 1, is he really the PG you want holding the ball?

There are a lot of guys I'd take ahead of him to have the ball in their hands at the end of the game when you need a score.

I'm not denying that he is the MVP on the celtics, but that doesn't mean there aren't 10 PGs better than him
    I rest my case.

sanchez

The goal of basketball is to shoot the ball into a basket. If Rondo lacks the most important aspect of the game, how can he be considered a great player? He's just a piece of the puzzle. And he happens to be a great fit for a puzzle with other great pieces.

sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by 8ArIvd5 View Post
    I rest my case.
    Just because he is the most valuable player on the team it doesn't mean that he is the best player on the team. He's just the most unique and hard to replace for the Celtics. The big three are more similar players.

I think about my Jets this year. Sanchez is the most valuable player, but he definitely isn't the best player on the team.

rsnnh12
    rsnnh12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

How can you trust him when it matters most at the end of the game? He can't make the shot if he has to
    Why does that matter? The PGs job is to run the offense, not take the game-winner. Point guards generally are better at setting up their teammates, not shooting a high percentage. Look at Jason Kidd. He's a TERRIBLE shooter, but he is considered top 2 PG of the last 15 years (with Nash) because of his court vision, defense, and leadership

There isn't a single PG I would put on the Celtics over Rondo. Rose, DWill, and CP3 might be better scorers, but they aren't as good at running their teams and setting up their teammates.

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think rondo is a classic case of being in a perfect situation
    he plays great defense and distributes the ball effectively and very efficiently
    i find it a little crazy that a pg cant shoot or hit a FT
    there no doubt in my mind that a guy like jason kidd wouldnt have had the same success on the celtics, any top tier pg would have a great career with this celtics team
    so the question is, would a 2nd tier pg like jameer nelson, felton do the same?

sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by rsnnh12 View Post
    Why does that matter? The PGs job is to run the offense, not take the game-winner. Point guards generally are better at setting up their teammates, not shooting a high percentage. Look at Jason Kidd. He's a TERRIBLE shooter, but he is considered top 2 PG of the last 15 years (with Nash) because of his court vision, defense, and leadership

There isn't a single PG I would put on the Celtics over Rondo. Rose, DWill, and CP3 might be better scorers, but they aren't as good at running their teams and setting up their teammates.
    Career Stats

Rajan Rondo
    25.4% 3P
    62.3% FT

Jaosn Kidd
    34.9% 3P
    78.4% FT

Why does shooting matter? Because if the PG is forced to take the game winning shot I'd like a guy who can make it.

rsnnh12

Career Stats

Rajan Rondo
    25.4% 3P
    62.3% FT

Jaosn Kidd
    34.9% 3P
    78.4% FT

Why does shooting matter? Because if the PG is forced to take the game winning shot I'd like a guy who can make it.
    Check Kidd's first few seasons... percentages on par with Rondo. And why would a PG be forced to take a game winner? Boston draws up plays so that won't happen... usually Rondo does the inbounding too, until he gets better at shooting free throws.

When you have a top 3 greatest shooter of all time, why would you let your young PG take a game-winner?

And I don't think there's a single PG in the game who is better at getting to the rim than Rondo. He doesn't always put up those close shots, but it opens up guys for mid/long range jumpers.

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Wait so he is overrated in your opinion simply because you dont have faith in him to hit a game winner or ice a game?

Untied
    Untied's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Odd timing for this topic, considering he had a triple-double this morning. Although, honestly I think he gets too much credit.

sanchez

How exactly is Kidd on par with Rondo? Rondo has never shot above 64.7% for a season. Kidd has never shot below 66.7%

Rondo's 4th and 5th year: 62.1 and 54.2

Kidd's 4th and 5th year: 79.9 and 75.7

Of course Rondo can get to the rim... look at the players he's playing with. And what good is that if when guys foul him he can't make his free throws.

sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by hawley View Post
    Wait so he is overrated in your opinion simply because you dont have faith in him to hit a game winner or ice a game?
    Top players in the NBA, you want them to have the ball in their hands with the game on the line. You don't want the ball in Rondo's hands with the game on the line.

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Rondo does his job perfectly in the team he is in so I cant see how he is overrated

He creates shots and makes plays for 3 All Stars and knock down shooters

erkanua
    erkanua's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2395

I hate Rondo, for me he is one of the most overrated players of the league. Indeed, I never want a point guard who cannot shoot in my team. The assist numbers do not always show the reality. Just compare the quality of passing for Nash and Kidd against Rondo, C's point guard just want to make numbers. I never forgot that this year against Cleveland, he is going to completely free lay-up and he just waited for a team-mate to make an assist. This kind of assists have no value when we compare with the quality of Kidd or Nash.

monkeyking
    monkeyking's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2490

we'll know when the celtics are starting von wafer, big baby and whoever they bring off the street to replace pierce

rsnnh12

How exactly is Kidd on par with Rondo? Rondo has never shot above 64.7% for a season. Kidd has never shot below 66.7%

Rondo's 4th and 5th year: 62.1 and 54.2

Kidd's 4th and 5th year: 79.9 and 75.7

Of course Rondo can get to the rim... look at the players ahe's playing with. And what good is that if when guys foul him he can't make his free throws.
    Lol he gets to the FT line less than twice a game (something like 80 attempts on the year). So that's 1 point per game they lose out on. And look at Kidd's first few seasons... he just wasn't a good shooter.

And look at some numbers of the best guys in the league... most of them aren't as clutch as you might think. Kobe shoots something like 33% w less than 24 sec left and his team down by 1 or 2. Not exactly impressive, so why hate on Rondo? He has the best court vision of anyone in the league, and is a top 3 defensive PG.

rsnnh12

Quote Originally Posted by erkanua View Post
    I hate Rondo, for me he is one of the most overrated players of the league. Indeed, I never want a point guard who cannot shoot in my team. The assist numbers do not always show the reality. Just compare the quality of passing for Nash and Kidd against Rondo, C's point guard just want to make numbers. I never forgot that this year against Cleveland, he is going to completely free lay-up and he just waited for a team-mate to make an assist. This kind of assists have no value when we compare with the quality of Kidd or Nash.
    So 1 play nullifies all of his amazing passes?

You need to watch more Celtics games... he runs that offense, and is a big reason they are the most effecient offense in the league

sanchez

So 1 play nullifies all of his amazing passes? You need to watch more Celtics games... he runs that offense, and is a big reason they are the most effecient offense in the league
    Wait, the Point Guard runs the offense????

You seem like a celtics fan so this must be difficult for you.

I'm not denying that he runs the offense and is a major part of it etc...

I'm just saying he doesn't belong up there when you talk about the top players in the league. Don't worry, you have some other players on your team that DO belong in that conversation.

sanchez

Lol he gets to the FT line less than twice a game (something like 80 attempts on the year). So that's 1 point per game they lose out on. And look at Kidd's first few seasons... he just wasn't a good shooter.

And look at some numbers of the best guys in the league... most of them aren't as clutch as you might think. Kobe shoots something like 33% w less than 24 sec left and his team down by 1 or 2. Not exactly impressive, so why hate on Rondo? He has the best court vision of anyone in the league, and is a top 3 defensive PG.
    33% haha don't you think some of those are probably really tough shots with guys all over him?

sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by erkanua View Post
    I agree, I want a PG who can hit a shot when he has to. Rondo's talents happen to be working out well with Boston because there is SO much talent around him. Hence all the assists.

Rondo-backer answer me this: What PG has a better supporting cast in the league?

rsnnh12

Wait, the Point Guard runs the offense????

You seem like a celtics fan so this must be difficult for you.

I'm not denying that he runs the offense and is a major part of it etc...

I'm just saying he doesn't belong up there when you talk about the top players in the league. Don't worry, you have some other players on your team that DO belong in that conversation.
    Of course he doesn't belong in the discussion for being a top player... when has anyone said he should? . He's a top 2 PG, but for his overall game, he's not top 10... if you're talking strictly most skilled and best scorers, he's not even close to top 10. I value a PGs ability to set up his teammates more than their ability to shoot jumpers, though, and Rondo does that better than anyone

GAMBLOR777
    GAMBLOR777's Avatar Become A Pro!

Rondo is vital for the success of the modern day Celtics.

I can see it, Rivers can see it, the Big 3 can see it.

I think this thread is overrated.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

He's a pure point guard, pure point guards arnt required to be scorers therefore he fulfills what's asked of him perfectly.

123 Last