rsnnh12
    rsnnh12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

Quote Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
    I agree, I want a PG who can hit a shot when he has to. Rondo's talents happen to be working out well with Boston because there is SO much talent around him. Hence all the assists.

Rondo-backer answer me this: What PG has a better supporting cast in the league?
    Only guys you could argue are the ones on the best teams... so Fisher, Parker, Kidd, and Arroyo/Chalmers/whoever starts for the Heat. Not sure what that has to do with this though? Rondo takes a lot of pressure off his aging teammates.. Ray is the only veteran who can run all game long. Pierce and KG are awesome, don't get me wrong, but they don't move without the ball very much until Rondo opens something up for them

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

Wait, the Point Guard runs the offense????

You seem like a celtics fan so this must be difficult for you.

I'm not denying that he runs the offense and is a major part of it etc...

I'm just saying he doesn't belong up there when you talk about the top players in the league. Don't worry, you have some other players on your team that DO belong in that conversation.
    Jason Kidd in his early years made you cringe when he took jumpers, more go in now but I still cringe because it isnt pretty. Kidd was everything you asked of a point guard the first minute he stepped on the floor, didnt matter if he couldnt shoot well.

sanchez
    sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by rsnnh12 View Post
    Only guys you could argue are the ones on the best teams... so Fisher, Parker, Kidd, and Arroyo/Chalmers/whoever starts for the Heat. Not sure what that has to do with this though? Rondo takes a lot of pressure off his aging teammates.. Ray is the only veteran who can run all game long. Pierce and KG are awesome, don't get me wrong, but they don't move without the ball very much until Rondo opens something up for them
    But what could Rondo do on a bad team without 3 All Stars surrounding him?

I agree hes vital to the Celtics. But I argue that hes a good player compared to the rest of the league, not a great player.

rsnnh12
    rsnnh12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

But what could Rondo do on a bad team without 3 All Stars surrounding him?

I agree hes vital to the Celtics. But I argue that hes a good player compared to the rest of the league, not a great player.
    Honestly, I think his assists would go up. If he was playing with worse players, the opposing defenses wouldn't stick as close to Rondos teammates as they do now (Ray and Pierce, mostly), so when Rondo would drive, the D would collapse on him, leaving guys even more open than now. Obviously he would need his guys to hit some shots, but I honestly think his numbers would stay the same or get better. A few more points, more rebounds, assists more or less the same, with potential upside

bretb27
    It's all about the money...
    bretb27's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 126

Does anyone else think he is overrated? He has an unbelievable team around him, shooters and big men, of course he can get a lot of assists. I guess he works ok for the Celtics.

But do you really trust him to shoot the ball with the game on the line? I watched the Celtics/Heat tonight and I saw another example near the end of them letting Rondo shoot and him missing.

At the end of the game, down by 1, is he really the PG you want holding the ball?

There are a lot of guys I'd take ahead of him to have the ball in their hands at the end of the game when you need a score.
    first off, as a celtics fan, i can say for a fact and without bias we don't have any big men that can score...

next, it's funny you mentioned we have "unbelievable" players. Most comments i see of the celtics and their big 3 are so negative and simply bash how bad they are. For some reason kg and Pierce are two of the most hated and apparently "overrated" players in the league.

lastly, there's 5 guys that can take a final shot, and with the game on the line rondo will not be that guy. as a matter of fact, he will be the one inbounding the ball and wont even be an option, unless he can get in the paint..and i'm absolutely ok with that

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

pure point guards are rare this day

oldscho0led
    home dogs
    oldscho0led's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5503

is this the Miami Heat forum?

demens
    Square -910
    demens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Rondo is the Celtics best player. So no, he is not overrated.

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Rondo is actually underrated IMHO.

Pauulzcappin

Put me on a team to set up 4 HOFers and I'll fukking look pretty damn good.

oiler
    oiler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2500

well if he is overrated ,then half the guys in the league are also'trust me ,im not a rondo fan by no means cause he played dirty when he played the bulls in the playoffs and hope he doesnt win anything.but he is the backbone of boston,especially with all there core players getting old,but overrated not even close

Bradyd
    Bradyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

If you think he is the best pg in the league, than yes he is overrated....
    If you think the only reason he is good because of his teammates, than he is underrated....

Pauulzcappin

Rondo is the 5-7th best pg in the league.

Hall2Collie
    Hall2Collie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

Quote Originally Posted by Pauulzcappin View Post
    Who rates him higher then a top 5 PG?

The OP seems like a younger fan who forgets what pure point's are like. Guys who are pass first, shoot second.

The recent trend is scoring first point guards but that simply isin't what the Celtics need.

demens
    Square -910
    demens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Pauulzcappin

If you are talking about a pure pg then he's the 2nd or 3rd.

thunderingherd23
    thunderingherd23's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't know...sometimes I think he's overrated...and then I think he's underrated...he definitely can't shoot though and has a great team around him

Pauulzcappin

Or Kirilenko, Millsap and Raja Bell

Pauulzcappin

I'd love to see him set up plays for Okafor, Ariza and Belinelli

GarbageMan
    On the phone....
    GarbageMan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 951

Name who you think is best, then we can compare stats....

soxwin
    soxwin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7162

Rondo is such a good passer that he makes everyone around him better. If you put Rondo on the Knicks, they would be much better. His job is to give it to the big 3 in the spots where they can do the most with it. He is the master at that. If Rondo was ever on the heat, they would be unstoppable. Pointing to just shooting % isn't looking at the games and you can see how his game is growing.

If you are just looking at his stats as someone who lives in Atlanta and doesn't watch his games, I could see where you would say he is not growing his offensive game. His Jump shot is leaps and bounds better than last year. His 1st year he took almost no outside shots. 2 years ago his outside shots were only if the shot clock was winding down. Last year he took foul line jumpers and in. This year I have seen him not hesitate to take 20 footers with 15 seconds left on the clock and he has hit some. His offensive game is growing slowly. He has 1 maybe 2 more years tops to get his outside game down. That is the time frame the big 3 has left. No doubt his free throw shooting is abysmal and that has to improve. The amount of triple doubles he has had though is proof positive that he is one of the better point guards in the NBA.

Scoring isn't everything. In fact if you look at the history of the Celtics, scoring from the point guard has never been a priority. Cousy all the way down to Rondo the Point guard has been a passing position more than a scoring one. That is just the way the Celtics play.
    Last edited by soxwin; 02-14-11 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

he is the mark sanchez of PGs. he is only a caretaker and doesn't have great skill.

chris paul, steve nash, deron williams, raymond felton, derrick rose, russell westbrook are all better.

oh and lebron james.
    Last edited by antifoil; 02-14-11 at 12:17 PM.

Pauulzcappin

soxwin

No they WOULDN'T. On the Knicks you gotta be able to hit long jump shots and be able to drive and shoot FT's. I highly doubt a player with a 31% avg from 3-pt land and 56% FT shooting would fit in the knicks.

Hall2Collie
    Hall2Collie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

Quote Originally Posted by antifoil View Post
    he is the mark sanchez of PGs. he is only a caretaker and doesn't have great skill.

chris paul, steve nash, deron williams, raymond felton, derrick rose, russell westbrook are all better.

oh and lebron james.
    Why is Raymond Felton on this list? Joke post?

wikkidinsane
    wikkidinsane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

You've just been Rondoed!
    Rajon Rondo in my eyes is the best defensive point guard in the league. He will mark any Point guard in the NBA today and he will get all up in your face. He is doing what he is suppose to do on the Boston team : Make assists when he has to and shoot from 10 ft and under range and run the flucking game. He is the man, Rajon Rondo is underrated.

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

Quote Originally Posted by Hall2Collie View Post
    Why is Raymond Felton on this list? Joke post?
    no i make my decisions on who i would want on my fantasy team and those are the names i would take over rondo. steph curry too.

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

The goal of basketball is to shoot the ball into a basket. If Rondo lacks the most important aspect of the game, how can he be considered a great player? He's just a piece of the puzzle. And he happens to be a great fit for a puzzle with other great pieces.
    And what player assists his teammates at this goal better than Rondo?

5teamparlay
    WINNING!!!
    5teamparlay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

11-12-12

Rondo had 20 points, nine rebounds and 10 assists to lead the Boston Celtics to a 101-95 win over the Chicago Bulls on Monday night. He stretched his streak of consecutive games with 10 or more assists to 31, the longest in the NBA since John Stockton had 37 straight from Feb. 27 to Nov. 29, 1989.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Rondo is unreal. One of the best if not the best pg in all of basketball. He has improved tremendously over the last 5 years.

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

rondo is the best deal in the NBA. under 10 million a year for tthe best defensive PG in the league, the guy is a huge threat offensively if he wants to be.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbawks View Post
    rondo is the best deal in the NBA. under 10 million a year for tthe best defensive PG in the league, the guy is a huge threat offensively if he wants to be.
    He isn't the best defensively in my opinion. He's really only a steals guy. He gambles a lot and is not really that great 1 on 1. Very similar defensive player to Allen Iverson. I'd put Chris Paul ahead of him on the defensive end, also Mike Connoly. But yeah arguably top 3 defensive pg for sure. Feel like i'm forgetting someone too.

unitedlad
    unitedlad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7803

Quote Originally Posted by soxwin View Post
    Rondo is such a good passer that he makes everyone around him better. If you put Rondo on the Knicks, they would be much better. His job is to give it to the big 3 in the spots where they can do the most with it. He is the master at that. If Rondo was ever on the heat, they would be unstoppable. Pointing to just shooting % isn't looking at the games and you can see how his game is growing.

If you are just looking at his stats as someone who lives in Atlanta and doesn't watch his games, I could see where you would say he is not growing his offensive game. His Jump shot is leaps and bounds better than last year. His 1st year he took almost no outside shots. 2 years ago his outside shots were only if the shot clock was winding down. Last year he took foul line jumpers and in. This year I have seen him not hesitate to take 20 footers with 15 seconds left on the clock and he has hit some. His offensive game is growing slowly. He has 1 maybe 2 more years tops to get his outside game down. That is the time frame the big 3 has left. No doubt his free throw shooting is abysmal and that has to improve. The amount of triple doubles he has had though is proof positive that he is one of the better point guards in the NBA.

Scoring isn't everything. In fact if you look at the history of the Celtics, scoring from the point guard has never been a priority. Cousy all the way down to Rondo the Point guard has been a passing position more than a scoring one. That is just the way the Celtics play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    Rondo is unreal. One of the best if not the best pg in all of basketball. He has improved tremendously over the last 5 years.
    Nice to see some sense in this thread. Rondo over-rated? Give me a break.

@soxwin Add some triples in that list. He's knocked down a few this season. I love that it's so blatant he is so eager to improve his game to become a complete player. If he can develop a consistently good jump shot then he will be the best PG in the league, no doubt.

DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

Think about Rondo on OKC with both Durant and Harden.
    The TEAM would be better served.
    To me , Westbrook is the overrated one.
    I think even Perkins would get a couple buckets a game.

unitedlad
    unitedlad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7803

Quote Originally Posted by DOM-Ganador View Post
    Think about Rondo on OKC with both Durant and Harden.
    The TEAM would be better served.
    To me , Westbrook is the overrated one.
    I think even Perkins would get a couple buckets a game.
    Em....

DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

Quote Originally Posted by unitedlad View Post
    Em....
    Dude, I understand Hardens already gone, I was just stating an opinion.

I also believe, Rondo would be a better fit on more teams than Westbrook.

If we polled all GMs, my guess is 2/3 would take the playmaker vs. the more talented primadonna.

He is the only guy on the planet that thinks he is better than Durant.

First 123 Last