Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

Saturday racing features

I looked at the Appleton Handicap at Gulfstream on Saturday and really like the No. 1 horse, 4-year-old Drum Major. He's coming off a nice win at Calder from off the pace, is 1-1 on the Gulfstream turf and meets a pretty average field of older horses in this stakes race.

He's 8-1 on the morning line and trained by George Weaver, whose a pretty good trainer that most fans don't know about. He trained, I think, Saratoga County last year to a bunch of stakes wins, including the Dubai Sprint, before the horse tragically died due to illness last summer. Bejarano gets the mount and that doesn't hurt.

Two Grade 1s at Santa Anita on Saturday. In the second for 3-year-old fillies, I like Wild Fit, who I cashed on in the Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies at 6-1 (ran 2nd to Folklore to complete a nice exacta). Hasn't run since, so that's a concern, plus she moves back to a 2-turn race. Mullins is pretty good with horses off layoffs, but the value might not be worth the risk here, but I do think she wins this as the class of the race.

Also, at Aqueduct on Saturday, 3-year-olds race in a stakes race. Achilles of Troy off a 14-length win last out is the big favorite. The trainer has switched jocks to Dominquez, which tells me they think he's a Derby horse and want to secure a top rider before he gets other choices. I gotta pick up the racing form because only the Appleton has free PPs on the Daily Racing Form website.

Anyone else handicapping these races, drop an opinion please.
    Last edited by Seattle Slew; 02-10-06 at 01:24 PM.

Seattle Slew

A correction on my earlier post. Patrick Biancone has taken over the training from Jeff Mullins of Wild Fit. Looking at the PPs, there's some good horses in this race, so Wild Fit might not be a big favorite, although I think she won't be more than 8-5 or 2-1. I'd like her at that price as the pace should be hot up front. Second choice is likely Balance, the No. 4 horse.

In the older fillies race at SA, I might take a shot on the Frankel horse No. 1 Seafree. First time in a stakes and first time going 2 turns might mean a big price. I'm not liking anyone in this field, so might play her with the favorite Proposed and hope for a miracle.

Looking at the Aqueduct feature, I don't see Achilles of Troy losing unless something crazy happens. But at 1-5, the race is likely a pass.

Back to Gulfstream, I'm going to play Drum Major and longshot Eccesliastic in the Appleton Handicap.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i'm passing on the Appleton bud, but good luck

picantel
    picantel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 433

seattle slew- if you have pinny this may be a good bet for you under horse matchups.

Drum Major vs Saint Stephen
    Drum Major +170
    Saint Stephen -186

kdmfox
    kdmfox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Played both your picks Slew ... After I played I saw that Achilles of Troy is 2/5 ML ... Good luck to us on that one.

kdmfox
    kdmfox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Got a lollipop for 100W.

:frustrate

picantel

well ouch to drum major for getting 3rd(had win,place,pics, tris, wahhh) on him but at least my prop bet of him beating the #3 came in at +170

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Anyone like Hollywood Story in the 7th @ Santa Anita..

picantel

I said to hell with it and bet the 6/all/all tri Musica Si. I will root for yours if mine runs backwards.

imgv94

Ran 3rd. I like wild fit also today in the 9th. Who do you like in the
    8th at SA Picantel?

picantel

Heh I mainly do harness. With these types I look for early and late money. Will check in a bit. meadows going off. just hit a 13-1

picantel

hitting #5 Malvern Light in the 8th for the fun of it. $30 win

imgv94

Gl. I bet #5 and #7

picantel

I thought for the hell of it something long has to hit so santa anita race #9 for the total crap of it.
    #5 Tallulah Lula for the name hahaha

Seattle Slew

Hey Picantel, did you see the Drum Major race at Gulfstream? This horse was tons the best horse in this race. Just when I praise Bejarano, he puts up a shitty ride. He gets bumped into the first turn and hits the rail, which was not the jock's fault, the other horse comes in on him.

Down the backstretch this horse is FULL of run. He sends him inside on the turn and gets shuffled back to last turning for home!! He finally gets a lane along the rail and gets up for 3rd with 15-1 and 12-1 first and second. It's a miracle the horse hit the board at all.

I get so frustrated when I nail a bad favorite (Host at 6-5) and still can't win. I'll have to watch for this horse next time. Geez, that sucked. I'd expect the owners to move this horse up to a Grade II race next time out.

I made a little back on the exacta in the Race 9 feature at SA. My top pick, Wild Fit, came late for 2nd behind the 5-2 second choice. Exacta came back $22 for a $2 bet.

The Frankel horse I liked in Race 7 at SA was scratched for a race on Sunday. I had a small bet on Archilles of Troy simply because he looked too good in that spot. Hardly won anything, though. Very small loss in a frustrating day.

Quote Originally Posted by picantel
    well ouch to drum major for getting 3rd(had win,place,pics, tris, wahhh) on him but at least my prop bet of him beating the #3 came in at +170

Seattle Slew

Nice pick. Drum Major won this head-to-head despite a miserable trip.

Quote Originally Posted by picantel
    seattle slew- if you have pinny this may be a good bet for you under horse matchups.

Drum Major vs Saint Stephen
    Drum Major +170
    Saint Stephen -186