bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Federer stunned by match-fixing and gambling claims in tennis

Roger Federer either has lead one sheltered life, or is just trying to cover everything up. I mean there is no way he could not have known there wasn't any match-fixing going on.

Federer stunned by match-fixing and gambling claims in tennis

MADRID, Spain: Roger Federer is stunned by all the talk of match-fixing and gambling in tennis.

"I'm surprised by all of these stories, shocked really that this might be happening," the top-ranked Federer told The Associated Press on Friday. "I've been around for the last 10 years and have never been approached or ever heard anything about it until these comments came out."

Andy Murray said corruption in the game was common knowledge earlier this week, but then backtracked.

"Before I make any serious comments about this I'm going to speak with Andy," said Federer, who is in Madrid for next week's Masters tournament. "I'm going to speak with the federation and all the bodies so I can get a better idea of just what exactly is going on with this right now."

ATP Player Council president Ivan Ljubicic and second-ranked Rafael Nadal have doubted Murray's claims. Nikolay Davydenko, the player at the center of the sport's biggest match-fixing scandal, criticized Murray.

Davydenko withdrew from a match in Poland in August against 87th-ranked Martin Vassallo Arguello in the third set because of a foot injury. An online betting site, in an unprecedented move, then voided bets on the match.

The ATP has said it is investigating.

"I haven't read into the whole circumstances surrounding these stories, but I will be these days," Federer said. "I hope that this isn't happening. I think I would have heard something sooner if it had been."

new2betting
    new2betting's Avatar Become A Pro!

There is so much NEWS nowadays regarding match-fixing on tennis and even the most visible instance when BetFair held funds due to the Davydenko issue.

Tennis would be the easiest to "match-fix" since it is an individual sport.

Recently, there have been lots and lots of upsets in tennis and millions of dollars have been lost.

This article "Tennis Looks at Suspicious Matches" looks like a try to regain their integrity.

But... why deny something that is obvious. It is virtually impossible to eliminate match-fixing in individual sports. Banning cellphones before games is going to be a joke.

I stopped betting on tennis.

new2betting
    new2betting's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tennis scandal waits to be served

published: Saturday | October 13, 2007

Tym Glaser

ALMOST HIDDEN in the growing pea-soup fog of sport sleaze is another scandal waiting to erupt.

While Marion Jones' teary-eyed drug cheat confession, Floyd Landis's constant bleating of Tour de Farce innocence and the revelation of a corrupt NBA official possibly manipulating the results or scores of basketball games have been dominating the headlines, tennis' own ugly little secret is lurking in the shadows.

Authorities from the sport's governing bodies, the ITF, ATP and WTA, hunkered down together yesterday to get to the bottom of allegations of match-fixing in their, until now, pristine sport.

Popular British betting house Betfair rang the alarm bell in August when it voided bets on a match between world No. 4 Nikolay Davydenko of Russia and his unheralded opponent, Martin Vassallo Arguello, in Sopot, Poland due to "irregular betting patterns."

Roughly translated, that means too much money - and we are talking about US$7 million here - was bet on the No. 86-ranked Argentine pulling off the upset. Davydenko was leading into the final set when he retired from the match with a leg injury.

Davydenko, who is now the subject of an ATP inquiry, proclaims his innocence but other players, including British star Andy Murray, claim "fixing" is going on in the sport.

"It's difficult to prove if someone has tanked a match or not tried because they can try their best until the last couple of games of each set and then make some mistakes, a couple of double-faults, and that's it," Murray said recently. "It's pretty disappointing for all the players, but everyone knows it goes on."

US$100,000 turned down

Meanwhile, Belgian journeyman Gilles Elseneer last month said he turned down an offer of more than US$100,000 to lose his first-round match against Potito Starace of Italy at Wimbledon in 2005.

In Austria yesterday, Georgian player Irakli Labadze was in court accused of conspiring with a professional gambler to make money by "throwing" a match.

Labadze aroused suspicion after unexpectedly losing his first-round match at last year's Raiffeisen Grand Prix in St. Poelten, Austria, to unseeded local player Julian Knowle. Martin Fuehrer, a gambler with whom Labadze is friendly, won 17,000 euros after betting 10,000 euros.

However, when he went to collect, bookmakers Cashpoint refused to pay out and the agency claims it has evidence that Fuehrer knew his friend would lose.

Sitting atop this powder keg are the sport's ruling bodies which are poring over a document which apparently lists "suspicious" matches all the way back to 2002.

Still, as "suspicious" as a match may look, it's going to be mighty hard to prove it was "fixed" unless a player or gambler can be forced into a corner, a la Jones and steroid czar Victor Conte, and made to spill the beans.

It just seems to be harder, day by day, to watch any sport and trust its integrity. I naively thought that tennis was as clean as the white costumes at Wimbledon but where there's smoke, there's generally fire.

I had a pretty good year picking the men's winners of the Slams you didn't have to be Nostradamus to come up with Federer-Nadal-Federer-Federer.

Now, when I look into my little crystal orb everything looks foggy, pea-soup foggy.

Later ...

Teddy_KGB
    Teddy_KGB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6074

Betfair currently does not offer any Davydenko match, however he is in the semi final on the Kremlin cup.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Federer has no clue, he is a machine and does not get too involved in other things.

vanman
    vanman's Avatar Become A Pro!

federer is just trying to protect his image,he`d have to be pretty damn thick not to know matches are being fixed.

Tchocky
    Tchocky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

BBD...have you seen this list of 140 suspicious matches that the ATP is looking at? I want to avoid the players that are on this list.

bigboydan

I haven't came across that list Tchocky.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    Roger Federer either has lead one sheltered life, or is just trying to cover everything up. I mean there is no way he could not have known there wasn't any match-fixing going on.
    In fairness, even if it's widespread then he'd the last person to know about it. It's hardly as if he needs the money to throw a match.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax View Post
    In fairness, even if it's widespread then he'd the last person to know about it. It's hardly as if he needs the money to throw a match.
    I understand where you coming from Taco, however you have to believe he had to have heard about what was going on if he was hanging around all those players on a daily basis.

BigBollocks
    BigBollocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

It's so widespread in tennis that is difficult to believe he was previously unaware of any hint of foul play.

That said, I wouldn't expect him to say anything other than what he said. He has absolutely nothing to gain by casting a further shadow on the sport, as his stamp of knowledge and disapproval would much inflict even greater pain on an already reeling sport...

vanman
    vanman's Avatar Become A Pro!

federer usually hung out with henman when they were at the same tournament and henman has come out in the british press to say that it`s rife so like i said federer is just trying to protect his image.But like taco said he doesn`t need to throw matches.