gridironguy
    gridironguy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Is tonight the night that Roddick beats Federer???

The stage is set, they're in NY, in the US of A, Roddick's home country, his fans. Does he get it done tonight?

Me thinks not. Not going out on a limb obviously. I root for Roddick every time he is not playing Nadal. But so much of tennis is mental, and Roddick is defeated mentally against the Fed Man before they even take the court..

What are you people thinking about this match?

I'll go with Federer in 4

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Roddick playing well, if he does not get him tonight he never will

Fed in 5

Benson17
    Benson17's Avatar Become A Pro!

Federer in straight sets.

JBC77
    JBC77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 303

Quote Originally Posted by gridironguy View Post
    The stage is set, they're in NY, in the US of A, Roddick's home country, his fans. Does he get it done tonight?

Me thinks not. Not going out on a limb obviously. I root for Roddick every time he is not playing Nadal. But so much of tennis is mental, and Roddick is defeated mentally against the Fed Man before they even take the court..

I think your right. I could not disagree with any of these statements.

JBC77
    JBC77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 303

Whats the deal with ole' Andy. This guy just cant dominate can he. It probably kills him inside.

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure
    20Four7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4120

I'm cheering for him due to a side bet that I have that Nadal wins 2 grand slams events before Fed wins 3. Now that my man is out I want the fed man out. If Roddick gets it to 5 sets he has a chance, but I think Fed takes it in 4.

gridironguy

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Roddick playing well, if he does not get him tonight he never will

Fed in 5
    JJ, is Roddick playing any better right now leading into the match than he has at different times in the past? I don't really think so.

I have said to myself, "this is the day that Andy beats him or it will never happen" about 5 or 6 times in the past, and guess what, every time I am let down. Don't fall into that trap, too!

The best chance Andy had was at Wimbledon back in 2004 or so when he was playing really well and the momentum was clearly in his favor early on. Then the rain came and Roger even admitted after the match that the rain pretty much saved him because Andy was on fire.

I hope you're right, JJ, that this thing goes at least 5 sets tonight..

I'd like to see the great drama of the past several nights continue at Flushing Meadow

gridironguy

Quote Originally Posted by 20Four7 View Post
    I'm cheering for him due to a side bet that I have that Nadal wins 2 grand slams events before Fed wins 3. Now that my man is out I want the fed man out. If Roddick gets it to 5 sets he has a chance, but I think Fed takes it in 4.
    You'll probably lose that bet because Fed will likely win the US Open and the Australian, giving him 3 in a row before Nadal gets to take the French in 2008.

I hope it's not much money you've put on the line!

Tevez
    Tevez's Avatar Become A Pro!

Federer odds already shortening ( - 1100 ) Somebody has just stacked ****ING loads on him

Last year in Us Open final were - 550

Roddick to take 1st set and Federer come back to win in 4 is my prediction.

My bets

Roddick to win first set +410

Total games over 36,5 -122

DrunkenLullaby
    DrunkenLullaby's Avatar Become A Pro!

In the end, a mismatch as always. Tough to conceive of Roddick playing any better....and loses is straight sets.

We are all truly privileged to be living in a time when we can watch both Tiger and Fed. Always a great debate as to who is more dominant.

gridironguy

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenLullaby View Post
    We are all truly privileged to be living in a time when we can watch Fed
    I don't care for golf so I took Tiger out of your quote. Now with Tiger removed, I agree wholeheartedly with your (revised) quote..

Someone on one of these forums said it best recently -- Roger Federer is pure tennis class. He is simply awesome to watch, in the truest sense of the word "awesome".

Having played for my HS tennis team many yrs ago, and having resumed my leisurely play in the past 1 yr, I have an even greater appreciation for the things that Roger does on the court. Thank God for Nadal on clay, because he makes things compelling.. but this Roger Federer is something to behold and we will have something to tell our grandkids about in the future....

Roger Federer does everything right on a tennis court and is simply a pleasure to watch. My 3 favorite players are gone (Nadal, Blake, and Roddick), but I am still excited about the US Open, thanks to Roger Federer.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Federer makes things look so easy, it's hard to watch most of his matches though because he simply outclasses his opponents. The best match vs. Lopez was enjoyable because you actually got to see Fed turn it on when needed. The only match that would be left worth watching with Fed on the men's side is if Djokovic gets through.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenLullaby View Post
    We are all truly privileged to be living in a time when we can watch both Tiger and Fed. Always a great debate as to who is more dominant.
    Is the Fed/Tiger dominance discussion even debatable? I can't comprehend an argument that could justify Tiger being more dominant than Fed. It's not even close.

GitRDone
    GitRDone's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by rjt721 View Post
    Is the Fed/Tiger dominance discussion even debatable? I can't comprehend an argument that could justify Tiger being more dominant than Fed. It's not even close.
    I don't know about that. Tiger has to beat 143 players every tourny while Roger has to only beat 7 guys to win the tourny. What Tiger has done is truly remarkable. You can't debate the 2 because they are 2 totally different sports.

gridironguy

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Federer makes things look so easy, it's hard to watch most of his matches though because he simply outclasses his opponents. The best match vs. Lopez was enjoyable because you actually got to see Fed turn it on when needed. The only match that would be left worth watching with Fed on the men's side is if Djokovic gets through.

All true, and yes, Djokovic has the game best suited to match up with Federer, but if David Ferrer continues to play the way he has, he will be a tough out for Roger. Ferrer was fortunate that Nadal was nicked up but even if Nadal was 100% healthy, he would've had a tough time beating David Ferrer.

Also, look for Carlos Moya to extend Djokovic to 5 sets, as Moya has been playing great tennis this year. That should tire out Djokovic and make him ripe for the upset if David Ferrer gets to face him.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Roddick played the match of his life and playing against any othe player he wins, it is scary how good Fed is.

Any was pounding the ball, 140mph's serves and still lost in straight sets

Ferrer is not even close to Roddicks power and serve.

gridironguy

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Roddick played the match of his life and playing against any othe player he wins, it is scary how good Fed is.

Any was pounding the ball, 140mph's serves and still lost in straight sets

Ferrer is not even close to Roddicks power and serve.
    You're right, JJ, it is wishful thinking on my part. The only guy who has a real chance vs. Federer is Djokovic.

The one thing that Davydenko and Ferrer have going for them, is that they can pretty much run down everything which can frustrate their opponent. Perhaps they can get under Federer's skin a bit but the guy is such a cool customer out there that it's probably not happening..

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure

You'll probably lose that bet because Fed will likely win the US Open and the Australian, giving him 3 in a row before Nadal gets to take the French in 2008.

I hope it's not much money you've put on the line!
    It starts at this us open so right now it's love-love to use tennis jargon. I'm also getting 2-1 on my bet.

gridironguy

Quote Originally Posted by 20Four7 View Post
    It starts at this us open so right now it's love-love to use tennis jargon. I'm also getting 2-1 on my bet.
    I still don't like your wager because technically while it's love-love as you say, i'd put it more at 30-Love in my book. Federer is odds on favorite to win the US Open and will be odds on to win the Australian Open again.

The reason I don't like your wager is because Fed excels at 3 Slams (US Open, Aussie Open, and Wimbledon), while Nadal only excels on the dirt at the French. Nadal's performances at Wimbledon have impressed me but he just cannot beat Fed on the grass.

I hope you win your wager because I am a fan of Nadal, but if I was a betting man (and I happen to be), I would say that it is much more likely that Fed wins 3 before Nadal wins 2.

You should be getting 4 to 1 on your money to make it worthwhile, not 2 to 1.

Did you make this wager with your head or your heart?

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure

LOL it's a small wager with a buddy made over a drunken poker game. It is nothing too serious. But I guess the heart over ruled here. I'm also thinking by next year Nadal can win on the grass at wimbledon and the french is a given.