bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Clijsters to retire

Retiring at such a young age.

You have to wonder just how she will do in the grand slams this year though, because she will be giving everything shes got to go out on top.

Troubled Clijsters to quit in '07

Clijsters has suffered from a series of injuries since 2003, when she became the first woman since 1974 to play more than 100 singles matches in a season.

She returned from a career-threatening left wrist injury in February and has also suffered a knee injury this year.

Clijsters said: "I think I will stop at the end of 2007. My body is already giving me a lot of problems."

Despite those injury setbacks, Clijsters has won six titles this season, including the Rogers Cup in Toronto last weekend.

She goes into next week's US Open seeded fourth as she hunts her first Grand Slam singles title.

But the 22-year-old, who broke up with long-time boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt last October, is not happy with her current way of life.

"I like to win and I put in a lot to do that, but the quality of life in and outside tennis are at least as important," she said.

"It might sound odd, but it's all becoming tougher on me - the tournaments, the travelling.

"I can't see myself playing for more than two or three years.

"Maybe I will still play the (Antwerp) Diamond Games in 2008, as a goodbye tournament, but that will be it."

Clijsters won nine singles titles and seven doubles finals in 2003, becoming the first Belgian to reach number one.

In early 2004 she lost her fourth grand slam final, at the Australian Open, where she was troubled by an ankle injury.

In June she had an operation on her wrist and missed the rest of the 2004 season.

After thrashing her compatriot and great rival Justine Henin-Hardenne in the Toronto final last weekend, Clijsters admitted her Achilles tendon was giving her problems.

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

I wish i could have retired at age 23...

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

Women's game is really struggling, with Cjisters retiring, Davenport is just about done (and pregnant) and Henin is always hurt, and now split from her husband. Knew she should never have changed her name.
    Last edited by Seattle Slew; 05-06-07 at 11:17 PM.