ourbet
    ourbet's Avatar Become A Pro!

Federer plans to dominate for another five years at least

...and FWIW, I honestly think he can as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reuters
    DUBAI - World number one Roger Federer is planning to continue his domination of the sport for another five years at least.

"I enjoy the battle so much on the tennis court with my opponent, practice is also fun," the 25-year-old Swiss player told Reuters in the United Arab Emirates on Sunday.

"But playing in front of all the fans, enjoying the applause and everything, that's what will keep me going in tennis for at least the next five years."

For now, though, Federer has his sights firmly set on matching Swede Bjorn Borg's achievement of five successive Wimbledon titles from 1976-80.

"To equal Borg's five-in-a-row would be a dream come true," he said after being unveiled in Dubai alongside Arsenal and France striker Thierry Henry and world number one golfer Tiger Woods as Gillette's newest brand ambassadors.

"But I am not there yet so I have to just hope I can keep my run going and stay injury free."

Federer holds 10 grand slam titles, four consecutive Wimbledons (2003-2006), three U.S. Opens and three Australian Opens.

"The last three or four seasons have been phenomenal," he said.
    Federer began his 2007 campaign in style, winning the first grand slam of the year in Australia last Sunday.

"To come out and not lose a set (in the tournament) was unbelievable," he said.

"The next big goal is the French Open. If I can win that tournament, that would mean I would have won four consecutive grand slams."

Federer, hot on the trail of Pete Sampras's record of 14 grand slam crowns, said his success was made sweeter because of his early struggles on the ATP Tour.

"I had a lot of losses early in my career, I was sad and disappointed with some of those matches," he said.

"To finally overcome all those things and become such a great player is something I never thought possible. I am enjoying every moment of it right now."
    Btw I find his "I had a lot of losses..." confession truly inspirational. Way to go Roger!

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Considering the level of play he is at right now. I feel he could also go another 5 years at this pace he is currently playing at.

This guy is just dominating mens tennis unlike anyone else I've ever seen.

rolemand
    rolemand's Avatar Become A Pro!

what may slow him down a bit is if he decides to have kids soon. Time will tell how Tiger will juggle the extra demand.

ourbet
    ourbet's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    This guy is just dominating mens tennis unlike anyone else I've ever seen.
    I gave what you wrote a great deal of thought dan and concur; you're absolutely right!

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ourbet
    ...and FWIW, I honestly think he can as well!Btw I find his "I had a lot of losses..." confession truly inspirational. Way to go Roger!
    I've had a lot of losses as well.

Federer is a master. Some reborn samurai who changed his sword for a racket. It's just too effortless for him.

NYY
    NYY's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    It's just too effortless for him.
    Yup, if he went back in time... he'd dominate them all, sampras, chang, connors, nothing, fed's amazing.

vanman
    vanman's Avatar Become A Pro!

federers days as number one will soon be in doubt as there are a lot of young guns out there hungry for his crown,he should hold onto it though for the next 18 months then who knows