05:00 PM 65 Tyson Griffin -580
    66 David Lee +530
    Ultimate Fighting Championships 63: UFC Welterweights
    Sat 9/23 B.J. Penn vs Matt Hughes
    08:00 PM 51 B.J. Penn +196
    52 Matt Hughes -216

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I forgot this was even on Saturday. I better start looking into these matches. I will have to get back with you OWNED.

scottyy11
    scottyy11's Avatar Become A Pro!

owned what would be your best bets from this ? top 2-3 you like?

thanks

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

I don't know anything about UFC, or at least not enough to make wagers on them. All the ones I watch usually see the chalk cashing at like at 90% clip. Great action though.

BJ looked pretty out of shape when they interviewed him during the Lidell/Sabrol fight, but so did Ricky Hatton before he took Kostya to school.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Im not big on the UFC myself OWNED. So I cant help you here. Good luck on whatever you bet.

moses millsap

I'm not going to bet it at all, if anything, I might throw some free play money on Penn, but that's it. I wouldn't be surprised if every chalk came through (as always).

shady610
    shady610's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8603

The crow is a very good bet

goldengoat
    goldengoat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 126

bj penn is a better fighter than matt hughes as crazy as that seems

the tricky thing is that hughes prepares himself better for fights and I am speaking specifically in the cardio department

at this level a fighter in a close fight such as this can lose a fight primarily cause he ran out of gas especially in a 5 round championship match

here is my breakdown
    standup penn
    wrestling hughes
    submission penn
    cardio hughes

assuming both guys come in in the exact same cardio shape then i take bj no question

bj can win via submission or tko from strikes
    hughes can win via decision via controlling position and using ground and pound

i have heard conflicting reports on bj's preparation, 1 that he is working on his cardio but doesn't wanna spar a ton of rounds like he has done before in order to not get "burnt out" (this scares me), and 2 that he is already below 170 and has his cardio in order

if you want wait for the weighins to check out bj's condition but remember he is never the most cut guy

i am taking bj still but will not go bigger til the weighins
    Last edited by goldengoat; 09-21-06 at 07:37 PM.

goldengoat

Gabe Ruediger is a more technical fighter than melvin and usually technique wins especially on the ground

melvin is a frekish athlete who could win via strikes or cut but i'll take ruediger.....ruediger has questioned melvin's intelligence though which is prolly gonna fire melvin up even more which can be both good and bad (I would only make a small play on this though cause melvin is very explosive)

swick is the more complete fighter than loiseau but loiseau has perhaps the best elbows in all of mma and elbows cut people bad so anytime he fights you have to factor in he can win via cut which kinda sux and makes it hard to lean against him a lot

i still like swick though, the guy is a motivated professional with some good skill with his only flaw being a suspect chin which the crow is capable of testing.....swick has the advantage on thr ground assuming the crow is not throwing elbows

pulver and griffin should win easy

Abbadi sux bad on the ground but has good standup.....if the fight were all standup the value for him is great.....gurgel trains with rich franklin who is a very smart fighter so he would be wise to increase his odds and take it to the ground....gurgel has B- takedowns and Abbadi has C- takedown defense so I say no play here cause gurgel will prolly win unless it stays standing were it is 50/50
    Last edited by goldengoat; 09-23-06 at 08:40 PM.

moses millsap

Thanks for the analysis GG; I usually just watch UFC for entertainment. So, you're saying BJ typically always looks like that? (a little on the soft side )

goldengoat

ya bj is never gonna come to the ring ripped

kinda makes gauging his cardio tough but you can get a little bit of an idea

i gotta think he will be ready cause over the last year the top name fighters are starting to make good money whereas the bottom guys get jacksh*t

if he beats hughes then he is gonna be in line for some endorsements and a lot of money although he grew up rich so maybe that won't motivate him as much as it would someone else

the belt means more i'm sure

i hope hughes tries to stand with bj cause he will get his face lit up

hughes can score a lot of juding points on takedowns though which is the only reason bj lost to st pierre so if bj loses that is what gonna get him

moses millsap

GG, Did you read about Huerta's injury? Some of the slower books still have that line up, though nothing is a lock, there is definitely value on Dent now.

goldengoat

Quote Originally Posted by OWNED
    GG, Did you read about Huerta's injury? Some of the slower books still have that line up, though nothing is a lock, there is definitely value on Dent now.
    i don't know much about that fight

i am staying away

Lambert can beat Evans

Evans is a decision machine and likes to win via superior wrestling and controlling instead of trying to win the fight

that's gonna catch up to him

goldengoat

pretty bad day today

most favorites win again as usual except for pulver which is a major blow to his career

moses millsap

Stupid BJ Penn wasn't in shape again. If he had trained for 3 rounds at least, I think he would've ended Hughes since he dominated the first two. Some pretty good knockouts though including that last shot by Eddie Sanchez. That stomach blow by Guillard was sweet as well.

shady610
    shady610's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8603

I loved seeing penn lose since he thinks that his ability alone will get him by.

moses millsap

Quote Originally Posted by shady610
    I loved seeing penn lose since he thinks that his ability alone will get him by.
    Yeah, I like to watch talent though, it's more entertaining when you see someone as skilled as BJ (re: the first two rounds of the fight). If he was committed to the sport, wow, he could be unstoppable, but of course, the better man won last night. He trained harder and had a bigger heart, not letting the accident poke to the eye bother him and not tapping out when it looked like it was all done in round 2.