johno35
    johno35's Avatar Become A Pro!

Johno's AFL Picks 2012

Hey guys been looking forward to the new season and thought I would start my own thread.

I went 7-3 in the NAB Cup so a good start to the season. I will be releasing plays of 1, 3 and 5 units, money managment is key when it comes to gambling so lets stay disciplined.

I wont release any plays until the season begins but looking forward I'm liking:

Richmond +20.5
    Geelong -7.5
    West Coast -7.5
    Port Adelaide +22.5

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated, BOL for the season and lets make some money!

maroona
    maroona's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5079

Good luck johno, like West Coast -7.5, think Hawthorn will beat Collingwood and Essendon -3.5, freo/geelong not sure, probably leaning freo, can't wait till it starts, any thoughts on the NAB cup final..

brettels
    brettels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

Do you post that Richmond line with confidence? I would PYOL them in a multi.

kingsr
    kingsr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3061

HAWKS $2.15 oh yeah! Also like Melb Demons and WC eagles respective lines.

johno35

Quote Originally Posted by maroona View Post
    Good luck johno, like West Coast -7.5, think Hawthorn will beat Collingwood and Essendon -3.5, freo/geelong not sure, probably leaning freo, can't wait till it starts, any thoughts on the NAB cup final..
    Staying away from the NAB Cup Final, if I was forced to bet I would pick Adelaide, I think they will want it more.
    I know Hawks looked impressive but we haven't seen Collingwood at full strength so I'm staying away from that one. I do like Essendon -3.5 now I look at it, I was really unimpressed with North on the weekend and Essendon put up a good show against Sydney

johno35

Quote Originally Posted by brettels View Post
    Do you post that Richmond line with confidence? I would PYOL them in a multi.
    Before NAB Cup I was liking Carlton but Richmond are starting to play a really good brand of footy, Carlton looked really bad throughout, I know they were missing some players but I think Richmond could win this one outright. But like I said I will release plays closer to the date, injuries and weather conditions play a big part

tommygun
    Hareeba! for Prime Minister
    tommygun's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 638

what are your guys records with AFL?

johno35

Last year was the first year I starting seriously betting on AFL, I've always been an AFL freak. I watch 6 of the 8 games each week and I figured I would be great at picking winners. I learnt very quickly to stay away from multi's and prop bets, great odds but you just cant win consistantly, I bet mainly on the line and I ended up being +38 units, I bet $50 a unit. I'm hoping I can better that this season, hopefully I can get off to a good start

garygroundwork
    garygroundwork's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12445

agree with everything u have stated in this thread so far johno. i wont be making any selections until i see the final sides.

always got to be very selective/cautious at the start. it's a double edged sword-u always get great odds but u don't really know whats going on... until a few rounds in...by then the odds become less favourable.

lets hope we have a good year.

johno35

Yeah thats right, you also dont know which sides are going to come from nowhere, like West Coast last year, who would have thought they would end up 4th!

tommygun
    Hareeba! for Prime Minister
    tommygun's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 638

I will be keeping track Johno, are you going to post all picks in this thread?

johno35

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    I will be keeping track Johno, are you going to post all picks in this thread?
    Yeah I will mate

johno35

Hey guys I thought it would be fun to post predictions of what you think the final ladder will look like at the end of the year. I did this last year with a couple of guys at work and its interesting to see how much your perceptions of teams change over the course of the year.

kingsr

Hawks minor prems

johno35

Here's mine, I found it hard to choose from 7th to 13th, its going to be a real battle to get in the top half of the 8 this year

1. Hawthorn
    2. Collingwood
    3. Geelong
    4. Carlton
    5. West Coast
    6. Sydney
    7. Fremantle
    8. Essendon
    9. St.Kilda
    10. Richmond
    11. Adelaide
    12. North Melbourne
    13. Melbourne
    14. Bulldogs
    15. Port Adelaide
    16. Brisbane
    17. Gold Coast
    18. Greater Western Sydney

garygroundwork

top 8

Hawthorn
    Geelong
    Collingwood
    West Coast
    Carlton
    Fremantle
    Adelaide
    Sydney

johno35

Did anyone get on Adelaide last night? I didn't bother...

garygroundwork

I didn't and at 1.80 it was a steal..

johno35

Yeah I though Adelaide would be the play but I just wasn't sure enough to put money on it. It will be interesting to see how well Adelaide starts their season. I looked back at who they played in the NAB Cup and it was a pretty easy draw for them. Looking at their fixture they should be 3-1 in first 4 rounds, playing GC, Dogs, Hawks and GWS

johno35

Just saw that Carlton lost to North by 16 points today, that means they have had a winless preseason. Despite dominating in the stats they couldn't get a win on the board. Richmond pumped GWS today by 74 points, I'm liking Richmond +22.5 vs Carlton in round 1 even more!

kingsr

Swans -85.5 Round 1

I know it's a bit high but GWS has many top players out. Scully, Brogan, Power, Falou and Ohailpin are out. Aren't they basically the whole 'recognised' team?

maroona

Tough call on that Swans GWS game, Sydney don't generally beat teams by big margins and GWS did show that they can be somewhat competitive against average opposition in the NAB cup, but how much should we read into NAB cup form, could be wet, if it is it won't be a blowout, but if all those players are out it doesn't leave them with much, with the exception of Falou, not sure if he can actually play, more there for marketing purposes. But GWS could be competitive for the first half, so maybe GWS + first half could be the way to go, then expect Sydney to run away with it in the second half, plenty of unknowns but something to think about this week..

johno35

I'm going to stay away from that one I think, I agree with maroona, GWS were a lot more competative in the preseason than I thought they were going to be. That is probably why the line went down from -99.5. But I hear what you are saying kingsr, without those guys its going to be tuff for them to keep up. With that said Swans only beat GC by 19 points on the weekend and Tigers beat GWS by 74 in a shortened version of the game so I just not convinced either way

johno35

Sydney line keeps dropping, now at -83.5

maroona

If it keeps dropping Sydney might become the play, weather forecast is fine for Saturday

johno35

Yeah for sure, I dont think it will get below 80 though. If it gets to 80 I might put a unit on it

Gee
    Gee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2327

The thing about GWS is you can't make the mistake of equating them to how the Suns played last year. I dunno about you guys, but I'm sure plenty are thinking that they will start in a similar fashion to the Suns.

McKenna let the Suns run, play on and make plenty of mistakes. As a result, they copped some almighty thrashings.

Sheedy on the other hand is playing a much more structured game, which should mean they don't get blown out as badly. 85 points just too many for me to lay, but I'm certainly not taking it either. It'll be an interesting game.

johno35

Sydney line back up to -90.5!

maroona

Hawks now favourites $1.80 Collingwood $2.02, Wellingham out for 2 weeks for getting on the piss while injured, Tarrant, Maxwell, Didak, Johnson all doubtful for week 1, get on Hawthorn while the price is still good, also pinny has GWS line at 87.5, most aus shops out to 90 or over..

thecattery12
    thecattery12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2834

I agree there. I see nothing but a Hawthorn win, hawks would be wanting to avenge their PF defeat so they should be extra turned on going all out and with Pies missing half their backline they would have to dig really deep to pull out a win.

binomial
    binomial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6841

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    The thing about GWS is you can't make the mistake of equating them to how the Suns played last year. I dunno about you guys, but I'm sure plenty are thinking that they will start in a similar fashion to the Suns.

McKenna let the Suns run, play on and make plenty of mistakes. As a result, they copped some almighty thrashings.

Sheedy on the other hand is playing a much more structured game, which should mean they don't get blown out as badly. 85 points just too many for me to lay, but I'm certainly not taking it either. It'll be an interesting game.

i agree, apart from against hawthorn, GWS weren't too bad defensively. on the other hand GCS looked they haven't improved over the summer and are still clueless and likely in for frequent maulings.

binomial
    binomial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6841

IMO most of collingood's advantage was the fervour with which they played. not sure this will be the case this season. i wouldn't be suprised if they fell out of the top 4.

johno35

Yeah I gotta say I'm liking the Hawks, I find week one is very hard to hold back. You look at the games and in your mind you think you could pick all 9 but we all know things dont always pan out the way we thought they would

kingsr

Quote Originally Posted by thecattery12 View Post
    I agree there. I see nothing but a Hawthorn win, hawks would be wanting to avenge their PF defeat so they should be extra turned on going all out and with Pies missing half their backline they would have to dig really deep to pull out a win.
    THIS! With or without a fit Coll team, I see nothing but a Hawks win.

Lookingtostart
    Lookingtostart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4542

Hmm... Hawks...

1234 ... Last