ourbet
    ourbet's Avatar Become A Pro!

Andy Murray stuns Roger Federer

CINCINNATI (Reuters) - Roger Federer suffered his first defeat before a final for 14 months when he was stunned by rising Briton Andy Murray 7-5 6-4 in the second round of the Cincinnati Masters on Wednesday.

Murray, ranked a career-high 21st, became only the second player to beat Federer this year as he broke the world number one's serve seven times to chalk up the biggest win of his career in just over 90 minutes.

The result meant it was the first time in 18 events that the Swiss master had failed to reach a tournament final.

His last defeat before a showpiece match had been to world number two Nadal in the 2005 French Open semis.

"I'm sorry the match didn't end the way I wanted," Federer told reporters after being condemned to his first defeat in two years on North American hard courts.

"He played pretty well and I have to give him credit. He was able to close it out when he had to."

Federer blamed his serve for his disappointing exit.

"That is the only thing I regret, I couldn't hit one. It's disturbing and disappointing," the top seed said.

MEMORABLE VICTORY

Murray held his head in his hands after sealing the memorable victory and said he never dreamed he could topple the world number one.

"I don't think Roger played his best but I give myself credit also," Murray said. "I was finally able to serve one out.

"It's not enough just to play against Roger. You have to remain solid."

The last time Federer had fallen as early the second round in a tournament was at the 2004 Athens Olympics.

Nadal, the only man to have beaten Federer in 2006 before Murray's unexpected success, kept his focus to complete an 80-minute win against Lee.

"My goal is improve on every surface, my goal is improve my game," Nadal told reporters. "Not only on hard court but on every surface.

"But to improve on every surface, I need improve my game, that's the challenge."

Nadal is keen to make an impact during the American hardcourt season following his third-round defeat in Toronto last week.

Although he has captured five titles this year, he has failed to get his hands on any trophy since triumphing at Roland Garros in June and is desperate to find some run of form before the U.S. Open begins on Aug 28.

ourbet
    ourbet's Avatar Become A Pro!

I wish I put that tenner on Murray when Pinny had him priced at +2300.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

that was a true upset!

i really didn't think murray could do it.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Does anybody what the line was?

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    Does anybody what the line was?

look above at ourbet's post ILL, because he just said it was +2300 at pinny.