LAUSANNE, Switzerland -- Liu Xiang of China set a world record in the 110-meter hurdles on Tuesday, breaking the record he shared with Britain's Colin Jackson.

Liu's time of 12.88 seconds at the Athletissima Grand Prix meeting was .03 better than the record he matched in winning gold at the 2004 Athens Olympics. Jackson ran 12.91 in Stuttgart, Germany, in August 1993.

Marion Jones won again in the women's 100, her sixth victory in eight meets this season, leading a U.S. sweep of the top four places in that event. In the men's 200, American Xavier Carter ran the second-fastest race in history.

Dominique Arnold of the United States was second in the hurdles in 12.90, also faster than the previous record.

"I'm very happy," Liu said, covering his face with the Chinese flag. "I'm very tired."

Liu, who also holds the world junior record of 13.12 set in July 2002 in Lausanne, ran a victory lap -- shirtless and waving to the crowd -- before sitting on the track clock that showed his record time.

"It is my place of good luck and joy," Liu said. "It is where I won four years ago with such a good time. I always feel so good here."

Liu's record performance came three days after he struggled to a fourth-place finish at the Gaz de France meet outside Paris.

"I can't believe it, I can't express it," Liu said through a translator.

"I had a good start, and after the first five hurdles it was a perfect race," he said. "I wanted to break the record last year, but it wasn't working. I think I can still run even faster."

American Terrence Trammell, who had held the season's best time of 13.06, was third in 13.02.

In the women's 100, Jones won in 10.94. Me'Lisa Barber was second in 11.03, Torri Edwards was third in 11.07 and Lauryn Williams fourth in 11.13.

Jamaica's Sherone Simpson, the only woman who has run faster than Jones this year, withdrew hours before the race because of injury. Organizers said she did not give details about the injury.

In the men's 200, Carter ran a stunning 19.63. Only Michael Johnson's time of 19.32, set while winning gold at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, is faster.

Countryman Tyson Gay was runner-up with a personal best of 19.70, while Usain Bolt of Jamaica, the junior record holder, was third in 19.88, also a personal best.

In other races, Kenya's Janeth Jepkosgei posted a season best in the women's 800 meters, clocking 1 minute, 56.66 seconds; Leonard Scott of the United States led from start to finish to win the men's 100 meters in a modest 10.05; American Michelle Perry posted a season-best time of 12.43 in the women's 100-meter hurdles, and Shadrack Korir of Kenya won the men's 1,500 in 3:31.97.