Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

UFC 61 July 8th, 2006

This is by far gonna be one the biggest UFC's ever. Here's the lines for a few of the big fights:

Sat 7/8 Andrei Arlovski vs Tim Sylvia
    08:00 PM 1 Andrei Arlovski -285
    2 Tim Sylvia +265

Sat 7/8 Tito Ortiz vs Ken Shamrock
    08:00 PM 3 Tito Ortiz -550
    4 Ken Shamrock +500

FairlySquarely
    FairlySquarely's Avatar Become A Pro!

the ortiz/shamrock match should be a no brainer. tito is still in great fighting shape, while shamrock is only aging as we speak. it's been a long time since shamrock had a good fight, and if griffin couldn't stop tito, shamrock won't have a chance. the only way i see shammy winning is if tito slips and gives him a leg for an infamous shamrock leg lock. the odds, and father time are both against ken.
    Pick: Tito by stoppage/decision

arlovski/sylvia is a little more tricky. either of these guys can win if they force the other to fight their type of fight. as much as i would like to see arlovski take the belt back, his dismal performance during their last bout only confirmed his notorious weak chin. arlovski has incredible speed (both hands and feet), great sambo techniques, and powerful punches. he's undoubtebly the more athletic of the two. however, arlovski's problem is that he can dish it out, but can't take it; and sylvia is the wrong person to face if you can't take a punch. if sylvia has anything going for him, it's his two meat hooks for hands.

i started to question arlovski's heart after seeing sylvia drop him during their last encounter. arlovski did not show the same resilience that sylvia did after taking a big punch. while sylvia fought his way back up to ultimately counter arlovski, the pitbull only ducked for cover while sylvia rained punches from above. it was almost as if arlovski was more concerned about ruining his face than escaping his current position.

if arlovski uses his speed to his advantage, he can catch sylvia with another good blow and hopefully end it with a quick submission. but if he decides to go toe to toe with sylvia, i feel that the ending will be a repeat of their last match. when fighting sylvia, you will be forced to exchange fists at least once in order to take him down. i don't like arlovski's chances of surviving that exchange. if there's one thing you can't train, it's a weak chin. advantage: sylvia.
    Pick: Sylvia by knockout/stoppage

Illusion

Nice write-ups FS, thanks.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

I thought Tito got lucky in his last match against that young kid, Forrest something I think. I had him losing that match. Ken Shamrock is old as F though.

Thanks for the opinions on the match, I usually just watch for action.

Illusion

Quote Originally Posted by OWNED
    I thought Tito got lucky in his last match against that young kid, Forrest something I think. I had him losing that match. Ken Shamrock is old as F though.

Thanks for the opinions on the match, I usually just watch for action.
    That Forrest Griffen match really close. Tito would have lost if it weren't for that takedown in the 3rd round.

Illusion

Here are the odds for the entire card

Sat 7/8 Frank Mir vs Dan Christison
    07:00 PM 5 Frank Mir -246
    6 Dan Christison +226

Sat 7/8 Yves Edwards vs Joe Stevenson
    07:00 PM 9 Yves Edwards -217
    10 Joe Stevenson +197

Sat 7/8 Andrei Arlovski vs Tim Sylvia
    08:00 PM 1 Andrei Arlovski -258
    2 Tim Sylvia +238

Sat 7/8 Tito Ortiz vs Ken Shamrock
    08:00 PM 3 Tito Ortiz -538
    4 Ken Shamrock +488

Sat 7/8 Jeff Monson vs Anthony Perosh
    07:00 PM 11 Jeff Monson -600
    12 Anthony Perosh +540

Sat 7/8 Drew Fickett vs Kurt Pellegrino
    07:00 PM 13 Drew Fickett -157
    14 Kurt Pellegrino +147

Sat 7/8 Gilbert Aldana vs Cheick Kongo
    07:00 PM 15 Gilbert Aldana +114
    16 Cheick Kongo -124

Sat 7/8 Josh Neer vs Josh Burkman
    07:00 PM 7 Josh Neer -117
    8 Josh Burkman +107

Illusion

It looks like money is starting to come in on Shamrock and really pooring in on Sylvia.

goldengoat
    goldengoat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 126

ken's only hope is for a fluke cut on tito

doc
    doc's Avatar Become A Pro!

I took Sylvia and Shamrock on value alone a couple of weeks ago.

I put the Sylvia fight at a toss up with a slight lean on Arlovski, but tons of value in a line for a guy who we know can be Andre.

As far as the Tito fight, Ortiz wins and probably pretty easily but you can't pass on anything +500 or better on Shamrock.

I will look at the rest of the card later today..

goldengoat

ken is such a has been

that was pathetic as expected maybe even more so

FairlySquarely
    FairlySquarely's Avatar Become A Pro!

hopefully people cashed in on sylvia. i predicted a ko/stoppage, but i forgot to consider the fact that they both might be gun shy due to the previous fights' outcomes.

goldengoat

i'm sure you all heard about the november possibility of wanderlei silva vs chuck liddell

this is prolly got open at even and will draw a huge amount of action I would think

i got liddell but this one can go either way

liddell has the superior chin and hits slightly harder. his lateral movement has improved since couture took him.

silva has the edge in speed and the thai clinch, especially his knees