Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nadal quits match while tied with Hewitt

Let's just hope this won't won't keep him sidelined that long.

LONDON -- French Open champion Rafael Nadal lost for the first time in nearly three months Friday when he retired in the quarterfinals of the Queen's Club with a sore left shoulder.

The top-seeded Spaniard won the first set 6-3 against Australian Lleyton Hewitt, who won the second by the same score. Nadal needed treatment on his serving shoulder during changeovers, and retired after the second set.

Andy Roddick stayed on track for a fourth successive Queen's title when he defeated Fernando Gonzalez of Chile 6-4, 6-3. Roddick moves into the semifinals Saturday against James Blake, who advanced when Gael Monfils of France retired with a back injury after losing the opening set 6-1.

Hewitt, a three-time Queen's champion, will face Tim Henman in Saturday's semis. Henman reversed three Grand Slam losses to Dmitry Tursunov by beating the Russian 6-3, 7-6 (1).

Nadal last loss came to Carlos Moya in the second round of the Nasdaq-100 Open on March 24 in Key Biscayne, Fla.

"I feel a lot of pain here," Nadal said, pressing the top of his arm. "The pain began in the final games of the first set. It was stupid to continue playing because I can't serve. If I lift my arm I feel pain."

Nadal said he will travel to Spain to consult his personal physician. He said he planned to be back for Wimbledon, which begins June 26.

"I didn't really notice there was a huge injury out there, but he's hitting so hard all the time," Hewitt said. "I felt like I got into the match and was getting better as the match went on."

The Spaniard looked sharp on grass this week, battling for 3 hours Thursday to beat Fernando Verdasco in three sets. Last Sunday, he beat Roger Federer in the French Open final, his 60th straight win on clay and his fourth straight tournament win on that surface.

"I was playing my best match here today," Nadal said. "It was a very good experience, very good tournament for me. It's very difficult to come here after Roland Garros, but I won two matches."

It was Henman's first win over Tursunov, who beat him at Wimbledon last year and at the Australian and French Opens this year.

Against Roddick, Gonzalez saved five breakpoints at 4-3 and saved a first-set point at 5-4 with his eighth ace, but a wide backhand gave the American the set.

Gonzalez double-faulted to concede the crucial second-set break at 2-0 to Roddick.

Monfils also withdrew from the doubles and next week's tournament in Nottingham.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hewitt was -150 in that match.

Tchocky
    Tchocky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

Nadal looks like a hypocrite because he criticisized Novak Djokovic for doing the same thing to him at the French. Just goes to show you...one shouldn't be to quick to judgment.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

I agree bud, I can't stand Nadal. The media loves him, but his on court behavior is on par with that of Hewitt's, even moreso in my eyes. I'd like to see Andre beat him in round 3.