beefcake
    Update your status
    beefcake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 178

Rugby WC preview..

Three months to go till IMO, the greatest test of team skill on the planet. The 2011 Rugby Union World Cup.
    Being played in NZ and no surprise that NZ are good sized favs to win the whole thing, considering the fact that they are the #1 team in the world. Price has been hovering around -120 to -130. And if you want to play that I would say the later you wait it will go up. The All blacks have not won a cup in a LONG time and the pressure is going to be on them to win it in front of home fans very much. They have a history of imploding though in WC's. That said, I think they will win it.And having them at that price would give you a good green out hedge in the final match(they would be overwhelming favs) even vs South Africa or the Aussies.
    As far as the United States team goes..where do I start...Almost all the players on the Eagles are semi-pros or amateurs. Many are doctors, bankers and lawyers who play just to represent their country. We are considered a Tier II country as far a s Rugby goes. Along with say Russia,Canada, and Japan. What I mean is we usually get smoked by Tier I teams such as England,NZ, France and so on. We just played some games in the Churchill cup(WC warm up tourney) and lost to the England B team by 60 and to Tonga by 30.Just goes to show you the vast talent difference in this sport.
    The coach for the US is an Irish guy who used to coach the Irish National Team for 8 years. And here is my first possible gambling angle for the WC. the states play, you guessed it..Ireland in the first game. The US cant win this game, but having the their former coach is going to give us an edge to be sure. He knows EVERYTHING about their players, so a bet on the US + points(guessing 30-40) might be in order here.Maybe even a first half bet,because we tend to run out of gas in 2nd halfs due to the immense talent void.
    As far as diamond in the rough teams, know that I love Argentina in Int competitions. They are in a group with IMO only 1 team better than them and that is England. So they should make it to the next round easily. Only thing is that they would face NZ in the semis or QF,but you never know...Odds to win it are 115-1..Insane value,should be around 30 to 40..

As far as other teams..SA and Aus will be good no doubt, so will England,France and possibly FIJI could be a real sleeper, Ireland and Wales are enigmas..could beat anyone and lose to a Tier 2 team..
    Would not be surprised to see NZ favored by 100 points vs Japan or SA fav by 90 over Namibia..Once again just goes to show you the talent gap in Rugby union.

kingsr
    kingsr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3061

New Zealand are the ultimate chokers when it comes to world cup!

PickApprentice
    PickApprentice's Avatar Become A Pro!

I will tell you one thing for sure. SA willn't win the WC. Team worse than the previous world cup. Players are getting older. There isn't that balance of youth and experience that we saw in the last world cup. Lastly, I think the coach is the problem here. No offence, but he isn't a world cup winning coach quality. Even if they make it into the final(which i doubt), they will lose it.

beefcake
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by kingsr View Post
    New Zealand are the ultimate chokers when it comes to world cup!
    Yes the ALL Blacks are chokers..Still with all their shortcomings in the last 5 cups or so, I still think they get it done..

kdoub
    kdoub's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 476

Right now the bets I'm most interested in are the pool bets. A lot of people don't like big negative odds but I think that NZ (-900), England (-300), and Australia (-400) to win their pools represent value.

New Zealand rolls over the pool play, if they have problems it will be in the playoffs like it always is. Plus France is so hit and miss that even if they pull out a great game against NZ, they are just as likely to blow one against Tonga.

England should be much better than Scotland and Argentina.

Australia's main threat is Ireland and I like beefcake's thoughts that the USA will give Ireland trouble.

kingsr
    kingsr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3061

Be careful of the AGRENTINES

beefcake
    Update your status

Argentina man at 115-1..Bet that and green out later! That's my plan..

Duff85
    Getting ready for Japball
    Duff85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4007

Really looking forward to the RWC. Going to be doing a fair bit of betting on this I would imagine. It's always a fun event.

beefcake
    Update your status

Yes I enjoy it much more than the FIFA World cup...

Only thing is I have to stay up late or get up real early to watch these matches in NZ!!