picantel
    picantel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 433

quick funny story

Yesterday I am stupidly playing english steeplechase racing and coming down the stretch my 6/1 has a 10 length lead and my 2nd choice 5/1 is about 10 in front of the next horse. Coming over the final hurdle my horse jumps and does a front flip lol and lands on his back so there goes that race. I was like go go go oh crap lol.

madmaxx
    madmaxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

are they still doing those at monmouth? I saw one a couple weeks ago where a horse had a 40 length lead and finished last....I hate those races, get too scared on the jumps.

callmejrk1
    callmejrk1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

funny for you but not the horse huh

jw
    jw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6737

Quote Originally Posted by callmejrk1 View Post
    funny for you but not the horse huh
    I see a lot more horses in fatal accidents on US "flat" courses than I ever remember seeing on UK Steeplechase races ... I always wondered why this was ....

The number of horses that fall in UK jumps races that then just get right up and jump out the rest of the race is unbelievable.

I guess its got to do with the speed of the race .. a 6 furolng sprinter goes down and he is going to do a lot more damage to himself than a horse going 2 1/2 miles that is being steadied for a hurdle.

Brewers in 7
    SBR owes me 45 points
    Brewers in 7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1303

they do them overseas all the time, and saratoga does a few a week.. then they basically run at whatever track will have them, ive seen them at philly, colonial, monmouth, penn national.. there a little less heart wrenching in the US as they basically jump over small brush boxes.

picantel

Well obviously I would not have found it funny if the horse was hurt. Everyone was fine jeez.

Art Vandeleigh
    Art Vandeleigh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Well I heard of a similar but much more painful story.

Some guy picked the first 5 races in a pick-6, this was a few years back, and in the final race he had the first 2 runners as they were coming down the stetch, so he was going to hit the pick-6 with either one. Apparently the horse in second clipped heels with the leading horse. Leading horse falls down, second place horse crosses the finish line but gets DQ'd. No pick-6 for that guy. Ouch.

picantel

I feel that guys pain. Many years ago Northfield Park was doing a must go that night double superfecta. I did like 5 $2 bets and hit the first super so now I had one shot at the 2nd super which is kinda hard lol. I hated the heavy fave in the race so did my first 3 choices and then sat there with the fave and an 80-1 shot. Why would I consider the 80-1 shot? Well it had gotten 4th place something like 4-5 times in a row so maybe karma was involved. Anyway I decided to put the fave in 4th and at the start of the race it broke stride. The 80-1 came in 4th along with my other 3 horses in perfect order and the fave came rushing up and just got 5th. Nobody hit the double super and I took home 5k which was nice but the pool was over 100k and not only did I blow a 50/50 pick but I went against my gut and had the fave miss by inches. A triple whammy.

gtkid911
    Gambling is a marathon
    gtkid911's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

Whats that super steeplechase race they do where they have like 20 horses run like 5 miles.a bunch of them fall off their mounts but it seems like most of the time the horses are just fine afterwards. Always made me wonder how that happened.

jim
    jim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2392

you know you're betting too many races when you see something that looks good as they're
    being loaded into the gate, rush to get your bet in, and soon see them jumping over hurdles lol.
    no idea they were going to do that of course.

jw
    jw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6737

Quote Originally Posted by gtkid911 View Post
    Whats that super steeplechase race they do where they have like 20 horses run like 5 miles.a bunch of them fall off their mounts but it seems like most of the time the horses are just fine afterwards. Always made me wonder how that happened.
    Grand National ... 40 horses usually start .. course is 4 1/2 miles ... ?

scarface2738
    scarface2738's Avatar Become A Pro!

lol that does sound like a pretty funny event. To bad you didnt win though!