sharktank1
    sharktank1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cal Expo Racing Conviction !

"Harness driver Daniel Maier was convicted of three Felony counts on Thursday, which centered on a harness race back in May 5, 2006 @ Cal Expo, Sacramento, CA.

Maier 23, was convicted of bribery to affect the outcome of a horse race, conspiracy and grand theft.

He faces up to three years in prison, possible fines as well as the loss of his harness license and a possible lifetime ban from racing. Sentencing will be held on 1-25-08.

His older brother Jason, was cleared of all charges earlier this year.

Driver/Trainer Todd Ratchford, (who was found innocent) had faced felony charges of accepting a bribe to not use his best effort in a horse race, grand theft and conspiracy.

Driver Raymond Burt, who finished 4'th in the $3,000 claiming race in question, plead guilty to accepting a $1,200 bribe = to the winner's share of the race's purse (and) testified for the prosecution.

The jury found that Maier paid Burt to finish out of the money, so Maier could cash about $9,000 in trifecta tickets".

Wow...

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

Is any sport more corrupt than harness racing? How many drivers have been banned/charged in the past 20 years? Seems like there is at least one a year.

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36693

I'm a professional harness better and also an owner of harness race horses. There is no question there is corruption in this sport, but i'd say that there is also corruption in thoroughbred racing as well. And i'm not saying that out of spite for thoroughbred racing as i have spent many many years in that game as well. I believe the corruption in both breeds comes when you are racing for purse levels that are ridiculously low. So low that when winning races doesn't allow you to profit for the month as an owner/trainer, the possibility of obtaining a "big score" becomes to much to resist for some. This same applies for a driver. A 5% cut of a $1500 purse for winning is a measly $75. However, scoring a $9000 "purse" in a one shot deal is too much to resist for some. I, and my horses are based out of Ontario, and our big circuit has purses ranging up to $45,000 for an overnight race. In this case there is too much money available for the drivers to actually need to "fix" a race. I'm not saying that other "shady" things might not be happenning, but those things (drug use etc.) happen in both breeds. But as long as guys are racing for peanuts, it doesn't matter what the breed, this type of thing will always be possible.

sharktank1
    sharktank1's Avatar Become A Pro!

CK,
    You're right.
    Good luck with your stable.

Last decade @ Cal Expo, there was the infamous "milkshake scandal".

And now this.

What's next, hiring Drew as their announcer?

kdmfox
    kdmfox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Quote Originally Posted by sharktank1 View Post
    CK,
    You're right.
    Good luck with your stable.

Last decade @ Cal Expo, there was the infamous "milkshake scandal".

And now this.

What's next, hiring Drew as their announcer?
    Going back to the last decade for the previous scandal doesn't sound like an epedemic of race fixing.

exstatman
    exstatman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 324

Why any offshore would take lower level harness is beyond me, and Cal Expo is about as low as it gets. Rick Plano has been crooked since the trotters were at Hollywood Park, and CA was the only place Wojcio could get licensed after being ruled off in NJ. In fact, NJ refused to accept wagering on Cal Expo races that Wojcio drove in for some period of time.