bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Fairmount Park considers a shorter season

Like it's not short enough there as it is already.

Fairmount Park considers a shorter season

COLLINSVILLE — If the Illinois General Assembly cannot agree on additional budget measures, including one for funding at horse racing tracks, Fairmount Park president Brian Zander will ask the Illinois Racing Board today to give his track just 60 live racing days for the 2008 season.

That number of days would constitute the shortest meet in the facility's 82-year history.

In a letter to IRB executive director Marc Laino, Zander and Lanny Brooks, executive director of the Illinois Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association, have requested the board consider two possibilities for Fairmount in 2008.

In one, the track asks the IRB for a 90-day racing period: March 4 through Sept. 27.

In the other, if the state legislature does not approve a gaming bill by Dec. 1, Zander and Brooks will tell the board they can run only 60 days — from April 18 through Sept. 1 — a 33 percent cut. Brooks said if lawmakers can't reach an agreement on a budget that involves gaming issues, "We have to race 60 days. But we're going to raise the purses $10,000 a day for those 60 days."

Brooks said the horsemen's account with the track was overpaid for four years. When the meet ends in two weeks, the account will be about $3 million in arrears.

"I've talked Brian into carrying us for the last four years in the hope that something would happen," Brooks said.

The horsemen receive about 8 percent of the off-track wagering at Fairmount — not enough to cover the money owed.

Still, there's hope the track could race 90 days. The Illinois Supreme Court soon will hear a case affecting the tracks brought by four gambling boats in northern Illinois on the constitutionality of money withheld from the boats that has been put into an escrow account.

A ruling on this issue could come in November. If favorable, between $50 and $60 million held in the Horse Racing Equity Fund would go to the tracks.

Fairmount would get about 10 percent of the money, and 5 percent of that would be used to pay off the horsemen's account.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

Thanks BigBoyDan I live close to this track, I go there on a regular basis, I am glad to hear this, I will let all my buddies know about this over at the track.

bigboydan

I too live close to this particular track, and I hate to see it get shorter season there. I think the OTB right across the river pretty much was the cause of this happening.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

bigboydan,

I may see you some day over there so just pm me when you go, I would love to meet with you someday over there. The OTB over accross the river isn't a very nice place, what I think is what is leading to the shorter season is that they want the slots there badly and if they don't get what they want then we get a shorter season.

bigboydan

I don't go to the track all that much anymore like I once did Tblues. I mainly goto the pool halls around town nowadays, but i'll send you a PM the next time I'm going (afternoons usually).

As far as the slots stuff goes. IL was really trying to push that thru over there this session, and I'm sure it will pass at some point.

The OTB across the poplar street bridge is small indeed, and a pick pockets dream really. So watch yourself over there. Otherwise Darnell or Willie the pirate will snag your wallet.