turfnsport
    turfnsport's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 330

Kentucky Derby Elite Eight (March 22)

Here is this week’s Elite Eight:
    1. Eskendereya
    Trainer: Todd Pletcher
    Jockey: John Velazquez
    Pedigree: Giant’s Causeway – Aldebaran Light (Seattle Slew)
    His Fountain of Youth win was the most impressive Kentucky Derby prep to date, and he sure was flattered when the fourth and fifth place finishers came back to run one-two in the Florida Derby on Saturday. His last Derby prep comes in the Wood Memorial on April 3, and he should be a very short price.

2. Awesome Act
    Trainer: Jeremy Noseda
    Jockey: Julien Leparoux
    Pedigree: Awesome Again – Houdini’s Honey (Mr. Prospector)
    His first start on conventional dirt was his Gotham Stakes win at the Big A on March 6. While he did not beat a very tough field, he sure looked good doing it. He takes on Eskendereya in the Wood, and may give that one all he can handle.

3. Lookin At Lucky
    Trainer: Bob Baffert
    Jockey: Garrett Gomez
    Pedigree: Smart Strike – Private Feeling (Belong to Me)
    Baffert shipped his champion colt east to try real dirt in the Rebel at Oaklawn Park, and was the game winner despite the nearly three month break. He was up to the test against a couple of nice runners in Noble’s Promise and Dublin. Baffert has the Santa Anita Derby and the Arkansas Derby on his radar, and it seems to make sense that he would stick to the real stuff and ship back to Hot Springs.

4. Conveyance
    Trainer: Bob Baffert
    Jockey: Martin Garcia
    Pedigree: Indian Charlie – Emptythetill (Holy Bull)
    Baffert shipped this guy to Oaklawn Park too, and he won his dirt debut taking the Southwest. Four starts and four wins, all in gate to wire fashion. This year’s Derby is attracting a lot of runners with early speed, and that won’t help this guy’s chances. His next start will be the Sunland Derby on March 28, the same prep Mine That Bird used last year.

5. Ice Box
    Trainer: Nick Zito
    Jockey: Jose Lezcano
    Pedigree: Pulpit – Spice Island (Tabasco Cat)
    I liked everything about his win in the Florida Derby except for the fact I picked Radiohead, the dumbest pick I have made all year. This colt still has a ton of upside, has the pedigree to handle the distance, and has hall of fame trainer Nick Zito in his corner. Zito has a pair of Derby wins, and this colt looks like a legit closer in a race that figures to have a fast pace.

6. Noble’s Promise
    Trainer: Ken McPeek
    Jockey: Robby Albarado
    Pedigree: Cuvee – The Devil’s Trick (Clever Trick)
    This colt made his conventional dirt debut in the Rebel, and was beaten just a head by 2009 juvenile champion Lookin At Lucky. The colt certainly has the two year old foundation, making six starts last year including winning the Breeders’ Futurity at Keeneland. His sire Cuvee was a sprinter, and he will have to outrun his pedigree to get the roses.

7. Dublin
    Trainer: D. Wayne Lukas
    Jockey: Corey Nakatani
    Pedigree: Afleet Alex – Classy Mirage (Storm Bird)
    Hall of famer Lukas is back on the Derby Trail, last winning the Run for the Roses with Charismatic in 1999. Lukas has won the Derby four times, the Preakness five times, and the Belmont four times. The colt made a good late run to finish second in the Southwest behind Conveyance, and was only beaten three lengths in the Rebel. Let’s not give up on this guy yet.

8. Sidney’s Candy
    Trainer: John Sadler
    Jockey: Joe Talamo
    Pedigree: Candy Ride – Fair Exchange (Storm Cat)
    The John Sadler trainee showed he could go two turns, winning the San Felipe last out in his first start going long. The son of Candy Ride will make his next start in the Santa Anita Derby, meaning he will show up in Louisville on the first Saturday of May with no conventional dirt experience.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

I don't know about Icebox.