Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

Matt Caruthers on fire Sunday

I'm not usually a fan of his handicapping style on TVG. I think he overthinks most races and gets into trouble that way, but he's on fire today. Some nice winners and I made one play at Saratoga and he said afterward "I love this horse" which got me worried but he aired by 5 at 9-2.

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1640

I can look at the form and 3/4 times can predict who Matt Caruthers will be selecting in a given race. He tends to favor speed, layoff horses and middle range prices. MY ISSUE with him is this. I'm interested in winners not long term value plays if I tune in TVG for an hour of quick action. He can get hot at times but as a general rule his selections are immaterial to my handicapping a race.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

He seems streaky to me..

He either wins a bunch in a row or goes days without winners.

thezbar you are right about knowing who he likes beforehand.

Seems like he picks a lot of 9/2-5/1 shots..

Seattle Slew

I think he plays too many angles, with one being horses that get drilled and drop down he seems to like when they are price plays.

For example, Horse A loses by 22 lengths to Horse B, who comes back and wins again. He often says "look who Horse A lost to last time, Horse B." OK theory if the horse was competitive. Often, he's not, and gets drilled again.

Another angle he never scores on is "lone speed." He says that all the time, especially on turf, where wire-to-wire winners are really tough, more so than dirt races.

But his maiden handicapping has been solid recently. Overall, I think he does a nice job and is entertaining and pretty witty. I never use any picks they had out, mostly because they do those stupid Pick 4 and Pick 6 tickets instead of focusing race by race.

mavs1978
    mavs1978's Avatar Become A Pro!

im addicted to the pick 4 and pick 6

Seattle Slew

I should try those. Can't do any worse. Have you scored with the Pick 4 or Pick 6?

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I'm way ahead with Pick 4s in my lifetime.

Have hit about 10 of them with payouts over $1100.

Del Mar is killing me though.