Pigpen
    High On The Hogs
    Pigpen's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13911

Haskell

Hey gang, I think this is going to be a terrific edition of this event. I am going to take a stab but would like to hear what you guys have cooked up for this race. I am going to throw Mage out of the win on my horizontals. I think they are using this as a prep for the Travers. If you don't mind post your thoughts. I am going to post my play(s) early this afternoon. GL!!!!!

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3400

GL Pigpen. Have not looked over the race but can't see the Haskell as a prep for Travers for Mage. Did you read something that convinced you that was the case? THX.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9536

of the logicals i like mage..my thought is he was compromised by the pace in the preakness and i like coming in off a short rest and having last raced at a middle distance..like that transition better than the shorter rest coming off the marathon belmont (tapit trice)..nothing great just a slight preference in this race..like him overall and not just up against tt

#2 awesome strong (30-1)

an interesting longshot..did what was required at gp last year ..understand it was vs fla breds but the figures werent bad and he did finish up around 2 turns ..i like the even sprint at del as a stretchout race maybe even more-so than if he had won..would feel differently if it were 7f..horse has been training here all along so there's a familiarity with the surface..trainer a bit of a below the radar type going up against the big guys but has excellent numbers overall
    Last edited by JBEX; 07-22-23 at 10:13 AM.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by JBEX View Post
    of the logicals i like mage..my thought is he was compromised by the pace in the preakness and i like coming in off a short rest and having last raced at a middle distance..like that transition better than the shorter rest coming off the marathon belmont (tapit trice)..nothing great just a slight preference in this race..like him overall and not just up against tt

#2 awesome strong (30-1)

an interesting longshot..did what was required at gp last year ..understand it was vs fla breds but the figures werent bad and he did finish up around 2 turns ..i like the even sprint at del as a stretchout race maybe even more-so than if he had won..would feel differently if it were 7f..horse has been training here all along so there's a familiarity with the surface..trainer a bit of a below the radar type going up against the big guys but has excellent numbers overall
    the del race meant nothing to them purse-wise..just a prep for stretching out
    Last edited by JBEX; 07-22-23 at 10:14 AM.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

had # wrong ..corrected

Pigpen
    High On The Hogs
    Pigpen's Avatar SBR PRO

Fitness questions could better be directed toward Mage, who runs for the first time since a third-place finish May 20 in the Preakness. Tucked away at The Thoroughbred Center in the rural northeast corner of Lexington, Ky., Mage for 17 days after the Preakness wasn’t so much as tacked up. He has posted but four official breezes since the Preakness, the first so slow as to barely qualify as a work. Trained by Gustavo Delgado Sr., Mage wasn’t confirmed for the Haskell until Tuesday. His connections have cold-watered his win chances. The Travers at Saratoga is their main goal, the Haskell a prep, they say.

Read this in an article from the DRF. I also read earlier in the week he may not be cranked up here. Take that for what it is worth and he may very well win but I think field is tough and if he is not fit he will get beat.

mrginandtonic
    mrginandtonic's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4548

If 8- Arabian Knight is a monster like they said he was supposed to be; then Baffert takes this. Since I always like to bet against the favorites (possibly the 4 or the 8), I am going to take the 1- Geaux Rocket Ride (ML 9-2). Mandella doesn't usually ship unless he really thinks his horse has a chance, and with Mike Smith on board, that's a plus. I will think he will be in stalking position to take the first crack at Arabian Knight. With 4,5,8 taking most of the money, I think I should get at least the morning line for him. GL Pigpen and would like to see what you are taking.

Pigpen
    High On The Hogs
    Pigpen's Avatar SBR PRO

The 8 looks very good in the form. I think he will take a load of money with BB training so I will tip my hat if he wins but I will not take him at what I think will be a short price and coming off an extended layoff against these.

I am going to go with the #7 Extra Anejo. This is the Dam's first foal so that is a bit of a wild card. Sired by Into Mischief so there is his class. I am hoping he will get lost in the wagering and I get 5-1 or higher. There are some heavy hitters in here and that includes some new shooters. I think the track works against Tapit Trice so I am not going to play him in my horizontals. The other one I adding to my horizontals is the #3 Salute The Stars. His last race was his first on dirt and he has the benefit of a race over this oval. I think he will be every bit of 8-1 when they leave the gate and I want a price in this affair that looks wide open. GL all!!!!!!

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Pigpen View Post
    Read this in an article from the DRF. I also read earlier in the week he may not be cranked up here. Take that for what it is worth and he may very well win but I think field is tough and if he is not fit he will get beat.
    I'm not crazy about this race anyway pp ..I think that may possibly be PR that if he doesn't run well this is why ..haskell is a g1 serious race and I think if you're going there it's to win and not just for a sharpening ..he's got the derby on his resume and wouldn't want to lose one just to prep for another (understanding the Travers is a bigger win)..he also broke his maiden first out at 7f which isn't easy to do and shows he can run fresh..workouts following the slow one off the bench were all solid..staying with him but as I said I don't love it and am a little intrigued by the bomb besides

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32341

I was born and raised a Jersey boy.
    I spent a lot of summers with my buddies at Monmouth and head down to AC later.
    That's when I was in my early 20's though.
    Good times.

Haskell Day is big time for Jersey degenerates.
    I have no idea who wins the race today though.

Pigpen
    High On The Hogs
    Pigpen's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by JBEX View Post
    I'm not crazy about this race anyway pp ..I think that may possibly be PR that if he doesn't run well this is why ..haskell is a g1 serious race and I think if you're going there it's to win and not just for a sharpening ..he's got the derby on his resume and wouldn't want to lose one just to prep for another (understanding the Travers is a bigger win)..he also broke his maiden first out at 7f which isn't easy to do and shows he can run fresh..workouts following the slow one off the bench were all solid..staying with him but as I said I don't love it and am a little intrigued by the bomb besides
    Great points JB, I wonder if the tote will tell us if he is here to win or not. This is just me but I think we are looking at some very good 3 yo colts that did not run in the triple crown series. As Mr G&T stated above, that #1 is legit with Mandella shipping to run. I went back and looked at your bomb and if he wins he has earned it IMO. I don't know his sire. The price will be square. GL!!!

Pigpen
    High On The Hogs
    Pigpen's Avatar SBR PRO

Pic 3:

R10) 5,6
    R11) 6,9
    R12) 3,7

Jellymancan
    Jellymancan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12070

I like the #1 Geaux Rocket Ride. Good luck, pen.

stevenash

I didn't realize Baffert has won this race nine times.

Tapit Trice.
    Fading Baffert's horse.
    Just a 20 dollar hunch bet to win.

Pigpen
    High On The Hogs
    Pigpen's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Jellymancan View Post
    I am with you here Jelly. He is 13-1 as I post this. I did not think he would be dismissed at these odds. They are betting the 8 like he has already won the race.

stevenash

Great call.

Pigpen
    High On The Hogs
    Pigpen's Avatar SBR PRO

Great call Jelly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pigpen
    High On The Hogs
    Pigpen's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by mrginandtonic View Post
    If 8- Arabian Knight is a monster like they said he was supposed to be; then Baffert takes this. Since I always like to bet against the favorites (possibly the 4 or the 8), I am going to take the 1- Geaux Rocket Ride (ML 9-2). Mandella doesn't usually ship unless he really thinks his horse has a chance, and with Mike Smith on board, that's a plus. I will think he will be in stalking position to take the first crack at Arabian Knight. With 4,5,8 taking most of the money, I think I should get at least the morning line for him. GL Pigpen and would like to see what you are taking.

Great call Mr G & T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3400

good call Mr. G&T and the Jelly Guy.

mrginandtonic

Thanks guys; surprised that he went off at 12-1; was thinking more of 8-1; but I will take it.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

nice call mgnt and jelly !

mrginandtonic

Thanks JBex

Jellymancan
    Jellymancan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12070

Thanks guys, good pick by others as well!

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68605

Quote Originally Posted by mrginandtonic View Post

WOW !

Nice call Jellyman!

And Mr. GandT, it's like you saw the race before you posted with that writeup.

GREAT job you guys !

Color me impressed !

mrginandtonic

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    WOW !

Nice call Jellyman!

And Mr. GandT, it's like you saw the race before you posted with that writeup.

GREAT job you guys !

Color me impressed !
    Thank you sir; I’m old school, don’t really know how to use pace numbers; but I try to picture how the race might unfold in my head. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Just trying to have some fun with the game and hopefully making some money along the way. And thank you for sharing your experiences and knowledge with us.