Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13629

Churchill Downs Move

Any thoughts here on where they are moving and what the implications may be?

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3400

Not sure what the implications may be. They announced the decision and then ran 2 more days at CD. If they were that concerned about the track surface why run those 2 days? Strange situation.
    Last edited by Easy-Rider 66; 06-07-23 at 08:59 AM.

Pigpen
    High On The Hogs
    Pigpen's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13911

Going to be interesting watching the Stephen Foster run at the Pea Patch (Ellis Park).
    Points Awarded:

littlekona gave Pigpen 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68605

This seems to me to be a business decision. Let the bad press go away, protect the shareholders of a publicly traded company, show off a newly purchased product, etc.

Can't see how they would have continued to race a few more days if there was a problem. Can't see how they would want to train over that much less breeze, or run. I know I wouldn't have wanted to.

Most likely, if nothing is found wrong with the track, this unfortunate run of breakdowns could be a statistical anomaly. But in todays world, the outcry far outweighs any possibility of even mentioning that.

The breakdowns and the drop dead's after the race are mixed together in the outcry. That is apples and oranges.

One has nothing to do with the other but I totally understand the outcry. It's terrible to see and worse to be involved in. Hard to put into words the feeling you come away with from that.

Hope that all makes sense.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    This seems to me to be a business decision. Let the bad press go away, protect the shareholders of a publicly traded company, show off a newly purchased product, etc.

Can't see how they would have continued to race a few more days if there was a problem. Can't see how they would want to train over that much less breeze, or run. I know I wouldn't have wanted to.

Most likely, if nothing is found wrong with the track, this unfortunate run of breakdowns could be a statistical anomaly. But in todays world, the outcry far outweighs any possibility of even mentioning that.

The breakdowns and the drop dead's after the race are mixed together in the outcry. That is apples and oranges.

One has nothing to do with the other but I totally understand the outcry. It's terrible to see and worse to be involved in. Hard to put into words the feeling you come away with from that.

Hope that all makes sense.
    I forgot to add, those drop dead's are a serious concern. Can't imagine that THAT, is a statistical anomaly. I suppose it could be but I would be hard pressed to ever believe it. There seems that there has to be something more to that.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

It may be that I'm not totally immersed in the inner workings of the thoroughbred world, but is it my imagination or did the deaths and so forth at SA last year just go away? Was there a definitive FIX out there?

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

If you had a playback/stable horse from CD pop up, what do you do? Is it a wait and see?

Also, anyone watching all this smoke. They are postponing baseball games, one would think given the circumstances at CD we will likely see cancellations at the NE tracks?

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

Belmont canceled today? Smoke? Too bad. Card looked interesting at quick glance.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Madison View Post
    It may be that I'm not totally immersed in the inner workings of the thoroughbred world, but is it my imagination or did the deaths and so forth at SA last year just go away? Was there a definitive FIX out there?
    No. Like most things, it was a broad effort.

It's probably best to not spell out what I assume as it might not be factual.

We do see that they now cancel when heavy rain is going to occur. The soils are different in the west than they are in the east. That seemed to help for sure.

But for the other stuff, let's just say that all parties, from horsemen to management to owners and vets all dialed it back a little as to having horses run as often as they might normally have due to smaller fields. With everyone taking more precautions, only better overall results were likely to occur.
    It's great to see that they did.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Madison View Post
    Belmont canceled today? Smoke? Too bad. Card looked interesting at quick glance.
    Yes. Smoke and unhealthy air.

Apparently the wind is going to shift which will change the air quality seemingly just in time.

Sure hope so.

As for the playback horse in your stable at Churchill, I guess a case by case basis.

Measure twice, cut once. Lol.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

Measure twice, cut once. Lol.

One of the greatest truism's.

dollarbill
    dollarbill's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1302

Baffert won't have to worry until 2024! The other tracks should follow..... he isn't alone

Canterbury's all-time leading trainer faces penalties of up to a two-year suspension and $25,000 fine after his horse, Johnny Up, tested positive on June 4.