JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9488

harness at a one turn mile ??

guessing this has never been done but seems like it might be an interesting product/idea .seen them run on turf I believe in Indiana.. realize very unlikely to happen but how about a 4- 6 week meet at aqueduct during the summer ?? i'm more interested in what kind of product it would be with the track dynamic rather than the logistics of making it happen..wonder if they have anything like this anywhere else in the world ?

littlekona
    littlekona's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5828

It did at colonial downs...very short low purse meet and I believe the track closed as I have not seen for a few years....I do see occasional 1/2 mile sprint races at a few tracks pompano I just dash for cash few weeks back

littlekona

It’s so very interesting how harness is run in Sweden and France...mostly half mile tracks w driving styles with horses stacked 3 and 4 wide and no gate..also the top horses and drivers are superstars...most races trotters to outside of new zeland which produced many USA top class imports

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by littlekona View Post
    It did at colonial downs...very short low purse meet and I believe the track closed as I have not seen for a few years....I do see occasional 1/2 mile sprint races at a few tracks pompano I just dash for cash few weeks back
    wow they do half mile races lol..believe without looking colonial is no more but it was a one turn mile..wouldn't have remembered off the top of my head..I think it'd be exciting racing, give yonkers a break for a couple of months and make use of aqueduct racetrack for a short period..it'd make it seem fresh when they start again at yonkers..at least n the old days they went back n forth with roosevelt but obviously meadowlands brought the big R to an end some years later..as I said before the main thing with this is seeing harness done around 1 turn..what I said will never happen but have a hunch it's been thought about

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

actually having to open the gate on the turn (didn't think about that) might be a deal breaker right off the bat..have a hunch that could be handled though

littlekona

Speaking of gates I remember this crazy accident if I remember right one of my favs cat manzi was hurt bad very scary..
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U2RgdQ1J3XQ

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

hey you said they ran them at a half mile at pocono..at aqueduct with the layout 6.5f would be the ideal distance as I think even 7f is the beginning of the chute..it'd be different that's for sure but a logistical nightmare to pull off..ok I drop it

littlekona

Quote Originally Posted by JBEX View Post
    hey you said they ran them at a half mile at pocono..at aqueduct with the layout 6.5f would be the ideal distance as I think even 7f is the beginning of the chute..it'd be different that's for sure but a logistical nightmare to pull off..ok I drop it
    When maywood and balmoral in Chicago closed there was talk of an Arlington harness meet...Arlington would definitely draw a crowd but it never materialized.....I’ll say nothing beats watching harness live on a 1/2 mile track though....I have great memories of warm summer nights at old maywood Park very fun yet mile tracks I like wagering on much more

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

Speaking of gates I remember this crazy accident if I remember right one of my favs cat manzi was hurt bad very scary..
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U2RgdQ1J3XQ
    wasn't aware of those incidents but I don't follow it regularly. .both really nasty !!

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

When maywood and balmoral in Chicago closed there was talk of an Arlington harness meet...Arlington would definitely draw a crowd but it never materialized.....I’ll say nothing beats watching harness live on a 1/2 mile track though....I have great memories of warm summer nights at old maywood Park very fun yet mile tracks I like wagering on much more
    my first experiences with horse racing as i've said on here before, yonkers and roosevelt in the mid -late 70's ..young teenager and we'd stop at roosevelt on occasion on the way back from jones beach..loved it right from the start but by late 70's it shifted to thoroughbreds..affirmed/alydar my first solid recollections of it..secretariat a little before I was into it although my folks were at belmont that day..they weren't big fans though..it's really a dying sport overall but really enjoy doing the bigm..agree mile tracks make it more interesting

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

i'm thinking on the fly which is always dangerous..one turn mile obviously not doable but aqueduct a 9f oval and that would be the novelty (going further on a bigger track)..i definitely remember seeing they do run harness races further than a mile but not sure where or how often

littlekona

i'm thinking on the fly which is always dangerous..one turn mile obviously not doable but aqueduct a 9f oval and that would be the novelty (going further on a bigger track)..i definitely remember seeing they do run harness races further than a mile but not sure where or how often
    Yonkers has trotters going 1 mile and quarter at times esp on the Sunday afternoon cards where they simulcast to Europe....I have also seen some races esp Sweden and France where trotters race with jockeys no buggy’s...very interesting to watch

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

Yonkers has trotters going 1 mile and quarter at times esp on the Sunday afternoon cards where they simulcast to Europe....I have also seen some races esp Sweden and France where trotters race with jockeys no buggy’s...very interesting to watch
    yeah thought it was yonkers and I've seen the buggy-less
    races on tvg..the bigger track makes it so much more interesting for this game ..being able to advance on the turn better and more time for things to open up in the stretch..think the aqueduct course at 1 1/8 (original idea stupid) would be perfect but not gonna happen of course..be cool if they somehow could just try it for a weekend but guess ultimately meadowlands will have to do