Goodbeagle
    Goodbeagle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Newbie question about superfecta

I visit keeneland and churchill downs regularly. For 7-9 horse fields I'm wondering about a 1,2/1,2/all/all bet... and for maiden races... where surprises are common... an all/1,2/1,2/all. Does anyone play this? For a $6.00 cost (.10 minimum) this seems like more fun than a boring 3 horse exacta box of $6.00 ($1 minimum).

First time posting so go easy on me.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3364

Good to see you posting in the horse forum. No real opinion on your question as I do not play supers. Prefer those boring 3 horse ex boxes. GL.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9500

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbeagle View Post
    I visit keeneland and churchill downs regularly. For 7-9 horse fields I'm wondering about a 1,2/1,2/all/all bet... and for maiden races... where surprises are common... an all/1,2/1,2/all. Does anyone play this? For a $6.00 cost (.10 minimum) this seems like more fun than a boring 3 horse exacta box of $6.00 ($1 minimum).

I personally don't like the strategy for this reason.. (understand that the basis of this question is that these are maiden races)..i just don't feel you should get rewarded over the long haul when you're not making a stand on who you like in the 3rd and 4th spots.. it sounds good to hit a super but you'll only have it for a dime vs having a $3 exacta box.. certainly there are times you'll do better when bombs land in one or both spots underneath but they'll be plenty of times when that doesn't happen and you'll do worse.. the one thing I do like about your way is verticals with bombs in one or both spots often pay more than they should based on their odds.. I've written about that often in my thread but the only difference is i'm playing far less combos than you would be doing this.. bottom line I still don't like the strategy overall and feel an exacta box is the better bet.. but if you used superfectas instead not a big deal

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9221

It should not take too much time to look back and see how often your system would have hit in the last month.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68569

I might be wrong but I have a feeling that you are referring to the 1st and 2nd favorite, not the 1 and 2 post. You said that maidens can surprise so put the 1,2 ( favorites ?) 3rd and 4th.
    Plenty of people have used a rationale something like that. My guess is it is a small -EV play over time but it can be very frustrating in that , the 1st time you do NOT play it and it hits for a large payout, you will be upset that you did not play that day. Kind of like people that play the lottery but miss a day and that is the day it hits.
    If what I am talking about is indeed what you meant, it comes down to if you just want small action and just play around or you want to learn about handicapping and spend the time necessary to do so.
    If it's the former, what the heck, it is as good as any but don't get hurt. If it is the latter, there are a lot of people here that can help you but the 1st thing to do is put your money away and practice, don't bet. Why lose while learning when you don't have to.
    Totally up to you . Good luck either way.

littlekona
    littlekona's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5828

I baseball trifectas like that 12/12/all 12/all/12 all/12/12 ...its $21 for the fifty cent base in 8 horse field....I’ve done few supers but price of ticket skyrocketed.....good luck!

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9221

System would have paid at Gulfstream R4 maiden today

Probably paid well too. Fixed odds here were 3.40, 8.50, 11.00 and 2.45