Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

Cigar at KY Horse Park

In case anyone is interested in the great horse Cigar, I visited the Kentucky Horse Park during the Breeders Cup week and took these photos of the former champ.

He's stabled with Da Hoss and John Henry (now 32!) in the Hall of Champions.

Da Hoss looked like he could race tomorrow. Cigar liked all the attention from the cameras and visitors. Probably wished he was still racing.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Seattle Slew; 11-12-06 at 12:48 AM.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thanks for sharing Slew.

Cigar was one of the best horses i've seen in quite some time when he was in his prime. It just sucked that all his races were short odds though

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Thanks for posting the pictures, Slew.

Seattle Slew

The best horse I've ever seen since I started watching racing 20 years ago.

It really irks me when so-called racing experts talk about horses like Bernardini as "great" when they win 3 or 4 races against 4-horse fields, then they wilt when hit with a 12 or 14-horse field, or when they have to ship cross country.

Win 7 or 8 in a row at multiple tracks first, then start with the greatness talk.

Seattle Slew

I did get 4-1 on him in the Donn Handicap, which I think was his 3rd win in a row in the streak of 16. The favorite was Holy Bull and he broke down early in the race. After that, I think 3-2 was his biggest price.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    It just sucked that all his races were short odds though

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree with every word you wrote above bud.These horses right now are not even in the same class as him.

gummo
    Bearcats
    gummo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1195

Nice pics. I always remember him as being a ham and loving the attention when he was racing.

thezzone
    thezzone's Avatar Become A Pro!

New here and just surfing the links....TYVM for posting these...he was truly a super-horse...I saw him in Toronto in the Breeders and had loved him loooong before that and although he lost, he looked and was every bit a champion in every sense, I have a signed lithograph in my den "John Henry". This post kinda choked me up a bit,,,Thnx Again for the trip down memory lane!!!

shantystar
    shantystar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 117

nice ones i really do like

madmaxx
    madmaxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

just saw this...nice group of horses he's in