shantystar
    shantystar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 117

horse racing ruin gamblers!

addicted gamblers ruined by betting on horse racing,
    plese link some articles about this,thank you.
    Points Awarded:

playersonly69 gave shantystar 18 SBR Point(s) for this post.

playersonly69 gave shantystar 12 SBR Point(s) for this post.

playersonly69 gave shantystar 6 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Rio DiNero
    using no way as way
    Rio DiNero's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 218

I was wondering if there are any long time winners in the game? I never seen or heard of one, I know of guys that go on runs or get lucky on a big pay day with an exotic, but all I see are losers. At least other forms of gambling have shown proven winners over long term.

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36705

It can be done

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

If you play every race. I am in no way up in horses but I hit between 5-10 good ones a year (1k-10k).

allday1113
    allday1113's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's definitely possible, but it's a lot more rare than in poker or sports betting because of the takeout percentage. One important thing to do is to use a site where you get competitive rebates. I've had some success this year, and it's been from being very selective and focusing on 10-1 or higher horses.

Skalatharx
    Skalatharx's Avatar Become A Pro!

It can be done, I have been sucessfully laying horses for years 3 years now, and churned over a decent profit. Just have to know what to look for.

newathorseracing
    newathorseracing's Avatar Become A Pro!

skalatharx what do you use to hanicapp
    I am new toi this just wonder if you could give me some pointers

INVEGA MAN
    INVEGA MAN's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11818

You have to learn to read the racing form. Nobody can beat the horses if you play every day. The most important thing about horses is CLASS, CLASS, CLASS.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Quote Originally Posted by allday1113 View Post
    It's definitely possible, but it's a lot more rare than in poker or sports betting because of the takeout percentage. One important thing to do is to use a site where you get competitive rebates. I've had some success this year, and it's been from being very selective and focusing on 10-1 or higher horses.
    The takeout is anywheres between 14-21%, depending on the type of wager and the track. I am into horse racing, both as a gambler, and a part owner, in a partnership with several other people. What I have found to be true is that favorites win about 33% of the time. Horses that go off at 20-1 or higher rarely hit. The interesting thing that I have seen is that horses between 5-1 and 8-1 hit about as often as horses going off at 9-1 to 12-1. The lure of exacta, trifecta, pick 3, 4, and 6 wagering, plus the rolling Daily Doubles that they have in California make it that much more difficult for players to win on a regular basis. The talkeout for those wagers are higher than the straight wagers.

I enjoy the sport, and do wager on it to be financially successful, like I do football. Horse Racing is a hobby for me. I spend a lot of time on it, because I do not wager on any other sport other than college football, and the occasional pro football wager. I hve a ton of kids and grandkids, and alwyas put a couple of bucks on any horse with their names in it. The Ladies do a lot better than the guys, and even though I give the winning kid the money if his/her horse wins, I would probably be around 50/50 if I really kept track. Like I said, it is an enjoyable hobby for me. NOw that I post in this site, I will be around much more when the college foogball season ends.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Quote Originally Posted by INVEGA MAN View Post
    You have to learn to read the racing form. Nobody can beat the horses if you play every day. The most important thing about horses is CLASS, CLASS, CLASS.
    I look for lone speed, class, and horses for the courses, amongst other things. Sometimes you can get a good price on a hot jockey-trainer combo, but that is normally earlier, rather than later, in the meet. Track biases are also a part of my handicapping, as well as many other angles. I watch a lot of TVG, and an still learning a lot about the gambling end of the game. I may play every day, but I certainly do not play every race. That will drive you crazy. I also concentrate on certain tracks, mostly in California and New York. West Coast players far outnumber East Coast players, expecially in the exotics, and you can get some real good exotic payoffs at East Coast tracks with chalk winning. I have won $30-40 dollars for my two dollar investment on tri's when the chalk has finished 1-2-3 on the East Coast. The payoffs on the West Coast are much less.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

I use the ALL-ways Win/insurance wagers, from Bris, on the chalk.
    $2 to win $4 to place and $12 to show, total $18.
    When I win, I quit for the day. Lose, quit. Get 'em next time.
    I don't use it every day because of my sports betting.
    I've won the last 8 times, no losses. +19 units

DOMINATER
    DOMINATER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1180

GUYS .I started my career as a gambler when I was 15 at the Narragansett race track in R.I. in the early sixtys. Are there any R.I people here? Well the Track was owned by Raymond Patriaca the New England Crime boss, Raymond was maybe 5 foot 3 inches tall weighed 120 lbs and was the most feared guy around. I knew him personally he was great man ,sorry getting off the subject ,horseracing was fixed then and still is today I have a friend who owns 18 horses I just saw him recently, nothing has changed . The messages are correct, unlike any other sport a horse can only run to its potential it runs and moves up in class ,where the game is played they hold horses back make them long shots then they try with them.A HORSE if held correctly can become a long shot ,make some serious cash,then its repeated, other horses are drugged to slow them down,, and the horse on the fix wins the race, urine is only taken from the first four horses. there are tons of games. Thats why i will go to track enjoy the day make some wagers try to grind a days pay. I'll tell you one thing its the best place in the world to people watch, but no place to try to make a living.The way guys make money at the track they are called stoopers. They buy winning tickets off certain guys give them 60 percent of the cash value then they grap all the tickets that were thrown away. I had a guy that worked there cleaning he would sweep up the tickets so I would have 30 thousand dollars a month of losers then I would by 20 to 24 thousand dollars of legit tickets so i would make 12,000 a month show losings pay no taxes and show earnings as professional gambler did this with all sports . MY BEST YEARS I HAD 6 GUYS WORKING FOR ME MAKING 200,000 FOR THE YEAR. tHERE ARE MANY WAYS TO MAKE MONEY LOL

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Damn, Dominator, you mobsters really know how to work it. Thanks for the
    story, that would make a great book.

I've always wondered if the horses were fixed. Makes sense. Hold a low odds
    horse back for a few races and when his odds are way up, let him rip and
    the mob cleans up.

I'm gonna have to start thinking like a gangster.