xelemental
    xelemental's Avatar Become A Pro!

A show bet of a horse with odds 12-1 only paid out $8.00 on a $20 bet? Is this right?

Date: 03/06/2013
    Track: NFL
    Race #: 14
    Wager: $20 Show bet

My Bet: Runner 5, Show bet $20.00

Runner 5 gets first and he was 12-1 odds to win.

Twinspires only pays me $8.00 on top of my original $20.00. Is this right?!?!?

ProPicker713
    METS!
    ProPicker713's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17

Nope that is wrong bud. What track was it at i'll check it out for you?

xelemental

Northfield Park - Race 14

Runnger 5

03/06/13

Thanks!

ProPicker713
    METS!

The 5 ran 2nd bud, paid $9.00 for place and $2.80 for show
    $20 divide by 2 = $10
    $10 x $2.80 = $28
    $28-$20(original wager amount)= $8 (profit)
    Yes it is correct what you got back bud.

xelemental

ahhhh ok thanks man.

for some reason i cant send you points....

ProPicker713
    METS!

Your welcome bud, you know us cappers always here helping a fella out.
    And lol no need to but if you want you can try the gold token.

BGboothA
    BGboothA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 212

Quote Originally Posted by xelemental View Post

A couple of things to think about.

1. THe show pool odds are not tied to the win pool odds. That 12-1 that twinspires is showing you reflects the win pool. The show pool is completely seperate. While the win pool usually mirrors the show pool or at least close to. The odds are not tied together, and a number of factors can mess with the show pool.

2. The show pool is split three ways. Your 12-1 horse finished 2nd, but split the show pool with the two huge post time favorites. This horse would have paid much better had one if not both large favorites fell out of the show pool split. Remember this is a game of splitting the pools, your goal is to split the pool with as few people as possible. Look at the same horse and the place pool. With 1 of the favorites, the heaviest favorite falling out of the place pool, even the 2nd favorite horse paid 4 in the place pool, and you horse paid 9.00.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3365

Quote Originally Posted by BGboothA View Post

1. THe show pool odds are not tied to the win pool odds. That 12-1 that twinspires is showing you reflects the win pool. The show pool is completely seperate. While the win pool usually mirrors the show pool or at least close to. The odds are not tied together, and a number of factors can mess with the show pool.

2. The show pool is split three ways. Your 12-1 horse finished 2nd, but split the show pool with the two huge post time favorites. This horse would have paid much better had one if not both large favorites fell out of the show pool split. Remember this is a game of splitting the pools, your goal is to split the pool with as few people as possible. Look at the same horse and the place pool. With 1 of the favorites, the heaviest favorite falling out of the place pool, even the 2nd favorite horse paid 4 in the place pool, and you horse paid 9.00.
    Especially when someone bridge jumps on the show pool. This happens when a big hitter makes a large wager(Usually on a favorite) to show. If that horse does not come in the money it can bring show prices higher than the win price. Does not happen often, but I have seen it occasionally.

harthebar
    harthebar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9724

i would avoid betting to show at tracks like northfield ..where the handle is low......you bet 20 to show ..you are killing your price there//...look at the pools,,,if you must bet it to show there....use a place where the money wont go into the pool......im a big fan of show betting...not bridge jumping ..but picking your spots.......

xelemental

Quote Originally Posted by BGboothA View Post

Wow thanks so much!! This makes a lot of sense!

xelemental

Quote Originally Posted by harthebar View Post
    i would avoid betting to show at tracks like northfield ..where the handle is low......you bet 20 to show ..you are killing your price there//...look at the pools,,,if you must bet it to show there....use a place where the money wont go into the pool......im a big fan of show betting...not bridge jumping ..but picking your spots.......
    hmm good to know!!

BGboothA
    BGboothA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 212

Wow thanks so much!! This makes a lot of sense!
    No problem man, there are a lot of really good guys here, just ask away.