bulev
    bulev's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Newbie Thread Alert!

I tried to run a search so forgive me if this has been asked many times, but what are some of the best resources for an intelligent newb to go from zero to hero? I'm really intrigued with the idea of playing the horses seriously and I have no idea where to begin. I've looked at all the tomes on amazon and Davidowitz seems to be universally praised but I have no idea. Any suggestions?

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3376

Most likely you are going to lose playing the horses. Unless you have big money on a horse like Mine That Bird(He was 50/1 in 2009 Derby) you are probably not going to realize a profit. So play for entertainment purposes only. Learn how to read past performances form DRF/Equibase and start there. The Thorograph sheets are also a great resource, but very expensive to use. However, if you sign up the site provides free resources like the race of the week analysis. GL.

TonyP
    Update your status
    TonyP's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1290

Learn to read the forms, Bris, DRF, etc, Latch on to a successful player that has been successful for years and start learning, develope a money management system/wagering strategy and stick with it, does not matter how many winners you pick or races you get right, the only that matters is your bankroll.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68569

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    Learn to read the forms, Bris, DRF, etc, Latch on to a successful player that has been successful for years and start learning, develope a money management system/wagering strategy and stick with it, does not matter how many winners you pick or races you get right, the only that matters is your bankroll.
    That is pretty darn solid advise IMO.

TonyP
    Update your status

There is also the psychological part of the game as well. You need to be very disciplined,stay focused, and keep the right frame of mind,

TonyP
    Update your status

in other words do not wager a pk6 carryover just because there is a carryover, or bet a daily double just because the track offers one or any other wager just because they have one available to wager on.

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

in other words do not wager a pk6 carryover just because there is a carryover, or bet a daily double just because the track offers one or any other wager just because they have one available to wager on.

Kind of disagree here, think anyone who plays horses should take a stab at the Del Mar Pick 5 carryover Wednesday even if its only for $10.Probably the most bang for your buck you will get all year with the carryover + new money added .I think I've made 3 or 4 bets there all meet but I'll definitely be making a few tickets.

TonyP
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by mikemca View Post
    Kind of disagree here, think anyone who plays horses should take a stab at the Del Mar Pick 5 carryover Wednesday even if its only for $10.Probably the most bang for your buck you will get all year with the carryover + new money added .I think I've made 3 or 4 bets there all meet but I'll definitely be making a few tickets.

there are exceptions to the rule and this is one of them as its only a .50 base wager.

Dad
    2011 Adult Entertainer of the Year
    Dad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

Is there anywhere on the internet where we can see past results for the horses?

TonyP
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post

equibase.com has result charts for last 20 yrs
    Points Awarded:

Dad gave TonyP 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

DDT
    Head Mod In Charge
    DDT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2338

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Ask Ed Selections....I'm sure he had a thread about the race you are looking for

TonyP
    Update your status

past results or past performances? I have the pp's

Dad

past results or past performances? I have the pp's
    Past performances... How the horses did in their past races.

Dad

equibase.com has result charts for last 20 yrs
    Great site. Thank you Tony.