jmatthew
    jmatthew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 134

Beaten Favorite Angle

I am pretting new to handicapping horses and have been trying out different methods. Recently I have been looking at the beaten favorites to run back angle and have notice it's been hitting at quite a few tracks. Does this angle produce long term ROI if used in the right spots? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

BGboothA
    BGboothA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 212

Well anyone angle will produce positive too "when used in the right spots"

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68569

Quote Originally Posted by jmatthew View Post
    I am pretting new to handicapping horses and have been trying out different methods. Recently I have been looking at the beaten favorites to run back angle and have notice it's been hitting at quite a few tracks. Does this angle produce long term ROI if used in the right spots? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
    My guess is probably not but others would no better than I. The bigger question might be, why did they get beat? Was it ability, simply the wrong horse chosen by the public, the pace , a legit excuse? Because of the variables involved in lumping all beaten favorites together, I doubt that any real edge can be obtained. Finding a subset( one of the above or another reason) of all beaten favorites might indeed produce a solid ROI but that has never been my angle.
    Hope that helps.

cecil127
    Horses and Hockey Biatch!
    cecil127's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6871

look at the cars in the parking lots of the otb's/tracks. the majority of those schlubs couldnt pick a winner if their life depended on it. they (the GP) are the ones who's $ im looking to grab. always look elsewhere than the fav. all over the fav is a good exacta angle IMO....

scratbandit
    scratbandit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 630

Hell go for it what do you have to lose. I look for anyway to make some money. WHat have you done so far?

BGboothA
    BGboothA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 212

Cap the races yourself, don't bother with Faves, morning line or post time!

JakeLc
    JakeLc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 50

Statistically if you're looking to chase beaten favorites stick to dirt sprints and routes. Turf races produce the lowest win % and ROI for beaten favorites. Beaten favorites who are the post time favorite again win at 38% with and ROI of $1.66/2.00

JakeLc

I guess he went in search of another angle.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Most angles within an angle call for a ton of patience and fewer plays. That alone keeps many from pursuing it.
    But you already knew that didn't you Jake.

zebra58
    zebra58's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Quote Originally Posted by JakeLc View Post
    Statistically if you're looking to chase beaten favorites stick to dirt sprints and routes. Turf races produce the lowest win % and ROI for beaten favorites. Beaten favorites who are the post time favorite again win at 38% with and ROI of $1.66/2.00
    good info jake

gtkid911
    Gambling is a marathon
    gtkid911's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

anyone have thoughts on first time blinkers wit maidens?

hawkwind
    hawkwind's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22870

Gone but not forgotten

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by gtkid911 View Post
    anyone have thoughts on first time blinkers wit maidens?
    That can be a great place to look for a winner. Especially if the horse shows a gate work since there last race that is faster than their other works . In many cases especially at tracks with smaller pools, always check for early money and open pools like D.D's . Also check the 1st blinkers on trainer history. Blinkers usually add some speed as well as focus to a horse .
    Always a solid angle to investigate.

burgaweddie
    burgaweddie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

the beaten favorite angle is real weak, just because people make the horse a favorite menas nothing, look at the horses past performances, you want a real winner third start off a loyoff with improving beyers and a workout going into third race, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

JakeLc

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    Most angles within an angle call for a ton of patience and fewer plays. That alone keeps many from pursuing it.
    But you already knew that didn't you Jake.
    A couple of my spot plays generate only about 3 plays per week