Lets_Get_Money
    Lets_Get_Money's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 109

Is Betting on Horse Racing a winning proposition?

I need a little direction here.

Today was my 1st time actually betting on horses, I just wanted to bet 20 on the Belmont and see what the fuss is/was about. I had some mixed success and mix in how friendly the gov't is to online wagering on horses. Lets just it's gotten my attention, but I don't know much about handicapping horse racing.

I log in to the website and I'm gonna place some bets on the 12 races at Belmont and the next thing I'm placing bets on races at Suffolk, Arlington, Monmouth, Delaware and wondering why a $.10 superfecta box is 2.40 and how to how wager on an exotic thats not boxed.

I was only looking at numbers, size of the fields, pre and post odds when making my choices. The only Race where I did my HW was the Belmont Stakes and I fell flat on my face

Are superfecta and Trifecta bets for suckers the way parlays are seen in sports betting? Those were the only wagers where I made a substantial profit on the day

Should I avoid Win/Place/Show wagers

Do I stick with only a couple of tracks or should I look around for good deals etc.

Do the people on TVG channel know what there talking about?

How do I get started on Jockey HW?

I come here asking for help

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

Its like most forms of gambling.If you are selective in your bets you can make some good money.If you want to bet 35 races a day you will lose your bankroll pretty quickly.

First thing I would tell you is to stay away from favorites in the W/P/S pools.Try to pick horses that are 3-1 and higher.

To start out handicapping I would suggest just trying to figure out who will be setting the pace.Meaning which horse will be in the lead from the gate.This will give you some perspective on putting a race shape together and speed horses are the best bets in horse racing.They get the best trips and hardly encounter trouble.Where if you bet horses that come from far back there is alot that can go wrong.

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

look at who has beaten who in the race, bet favorites in the preakness and never EVER bet a superfecta. and you may break even if you get lucky

megamillionslose
    megamillionslose's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3740

It's simply about value!

Pro gamblers with sophisticated custom computer programs can make serious money wagering on horse races but the average Joe probably loses because they can't resist trying to pick the winner of a race at short odds instead of always seeking out value instead.If you can master Pizzolla's Black Magic software program you should be able to make decent money every year
    Points Awarded:

Lets_Get_Money gave megamillionslose 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Foosball Champ
    Foosball Champ's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10486

I know people who know nothing about horses that make a living betting horses by scalping between betfair and betmaker. Of course they live outside the US.

Lets_Get_Money
    Lets_Get_Money's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 109

thanks for all the responses, is there a message board of sorts that can follow to shadow/tail?

Edit: I tried to give you all points but I don't know why I can only give to 1 person

ncat12
    ncat12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 32

being tht the superfecta paid 74,000+ cant realy say it is a sucker ..maybe a longshot , still it SHOULD be easier than the lottery, then take into consideration that you could have picked 3 numbers and for 2 bucks won 8 thousand ..yeah this is not an everyday deal but it usally happens at least once during the big 3 races ...and also once or twice during the breaders...btw good luck in ur ventures

megamillionslose
    megamillionslose's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3740

Paceadvantage.com

Newbies to the sport of kings may want to peruse the different sections of that site
    Quote Originally Posted by Lets_Get_Money View Post
    thanks for all the responses, is there a message board of sorts that can follow to shadow/tail?

Edit: I tried to give you all points but I don't know why I can only give to 1 person