JakeLc
    JakeLc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 50

jw
    jw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6737

More info : http://www.theracingjournal.com/news/news-1648.html

It all started last year when the non-profit Yavapai County Fair Association transferred the track and related facilities to the new non-profit Yavapai County Farm & Agriculture Association in an effort to secure a low-interest U.S. Department of Agriculture loan in order to pay off a higher-interest bank loan.

The Yavapai County Assessor's Office reviewed the property transfer and decided that Yavapai Downs was no longer eligible for the property tax break, increasing its property tax from roughly $30,000 per year to around $350,000 per year.

Representative Andy Tobin (R-Paulden) helped pass a bill through the Arizona legislature to change the track’s “status for property tax purposes” back to non-profit, but Arizona Governor Jan Brewer (R) vetoed the bill.

aggieshawn
    SBR youtube Channels
    aggieshawn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1658

That will be one very unliked governor. What was his reasoning?

JakeLc
    JakeLc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 50

Downs in limbo: Trainers, others have no place else to go

http://www.dcourier.com/main.asp?Sec...rticleID=94182

Brewers in 7
    SBR owes me 45 points
    Brewers in 7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1303

another track bites the dust it looks like

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1640

I enjoyed the racing when it was Prescott Downs and a half mile bull ring. Once they went to a mile track my winners were few and far between and I stopped playing there. Sad it ends in the manner it has.

MrExacta
    MrExacta's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 80

I liked Prescott Downs too.....Scott Stevens owned it. It reminded me of Fairplex without any vegetation.

MrExacta -`

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Local track for me. Nice setting. Mostly QH racing. Arizona state laws are f*cked up. Those horse people already camping out there won't get anything.

scratbandit
    scratbandit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 630

Very sad indeed. I enjoyed the prescott track myself.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

they should just do a wagon train convoy to new mexico and re-settle there...same climate...similar tracks at albuquerque and ruidoso i believe...you have to follow the money trail...for these lower level horsemen boosting the new mexico circuit with new horse flesh can't hurt...think outside the box arizona horsemen. live in your campers on race track property if you have to...but rent stall space in new mexico before someone else does...