Scully
    Scully's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

The Status of Detroit's Franzen for the Finals

Has anyone heard or have an update on the status of Wings forward Johan Franzen for the Finals?

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

They sweep if he plays.

xxx
    xxx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28282

Holland: Franzen's headaches are 'mostly not there'

Red Wings GM Ken Holland spoke to CBC Sports' Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek on Hockey Night in Canada's Sirius radio station, and you can listen to the conversation at the Wings-Pens series page .

In the interview, Holland says that he spoke to Johan Franzen's agent today, and the Wings' team doctor will reexamine him on Thursday and give him another baseline neurological test. He's feeling better, his headaches are "mostly" gone, he's started to train and do "mid-level" work, pushing a little harder each day, and if he starts to get headaches again, he'll have to back off, but he's getting much better, and he's doubtful for Game 1 at this point, but he says that the Wings will see what the next four days bring.

Scully
    Scully's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Hey, great info and thanks xxx.

jgm1967
    jgm1967's Avatar Become A Pro!

good info .much appreciated.should be a great finals

cheers

xxx
    xxx's Avatar SBR PRO

Franzen cleared to practice with Red Wings

DETROIT, Michigan (AFP) — Johan Franzen, the National Hockey League playoffs leading scorer who has been sidelined by concussion, was cleared to practice with the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday, two days before they open the Stanley Cup Finals.

Red Wings general Manager Ken Holland said Franzen would practice on Friday. On Saturday, Detroit host Eastern Conference champion Pittsburgh Penguins in game one of the NHL's best-of-seven championship series.

Franzen, who leads the NHL this postseason with 12 goals, hasn't played since game one of the Western Conference finals against the Dallas Stars.

But the 28-year-old Swede has been free of headaches for several days, prompting the decision to allow him to participate in practice.

"We got good news," Holland said. "He went to see a doctor today, and the doctor gave him clearance to start practicing and ramping up his workouts. No physical play right now, but we've got our fingers crossed. We're hopeful."

Franzen, who has scored 27 goals in his last 27 games dating to March 2, wasn't expected to play Saturday.

But the Red Wings are hoping he will return soon.

"We are optimistic that he's going to play sometime in this series," Holland said. "He's doubtful for Saturday, but actually I was just talking to him and our doctors. ... We're going to see how it goes each day. As we go along each day, we'll ramp it up, and if he doesn't have any setbacks, certainly the possibility that he's going to be in our lineup before the end of the series is going to be good.

"Now, if he starts to ramp it up and push and he gets some setbacks, that's going to be another story."

xxx
    xxx's Avatar SBR PRO

Franzen cleared to start practicing again

Lilja still skating with Lebda while Chelios is out

By Chuck Pleiness
    Journal Register News Service

DETROIT -- The good news didn't come until after the Detroit Red Wings finished practice at Joe Louis Arena Thursday afternoon -- the NHL's leading goal scorer has been cleared to resume practicing.
    Advertisement

Johan Franzen, who skated for a second straight day without the regulars, has been cleared to start practicing with the team today.

"He's not cleared for contact yet, but if all goes well (today) during practice the doctors will let him ramp things up," general manager Ken Holland told the Associated Press. "Hopefully, he won't have any setbacks and he'll be able to play soon."

Franzen, who leads the league with 12 postseason goals, has missed five straight games suffering from concussion-like symptoms. He last played in Game 1 of the Western Conference final series against Dallas.

"I don't think he's going to play in Game 1, but (it could be) anytime after that," Wings coach Mike Babcock said. "He's ready. This is about doctors."

Babcock said Franzen is back to tipping pucks in front of the net and flying around the ice.

"He was like that when he left," Babcock said. "He's ready to go. We just have to get the OK."

Valtteri Filppula and Kris Draper were the only other regulars not on the ice Thursday. Filppula hasn't practiced with the team for over a week is expected to play in Game 1 as is Draper, who was with his wife for the birth of their baby girl, Kamryn Rose.

The defensive pairings were also the same as Game 6 in Dallas, which had Andreas Lilja paired with Brett Lebda, while Chris Chelios skated with Derek Meech.

Babcock wouldn't comment on possible changes to the lineup for Game 1, but Lilja is hopeful to get the call.

"It felt awesome to get back in there," Lilja said. "This is what you play for. I'm going to have fun with it and give it my all out there."

Lilja has played in just six of the Wings' first 16 playoff games.

Lilja played in 79 of the Wings' 82 games in the regular season, so sitting out wasn't something he's accustomed to doing.

"It's really, really boring, but you have to be there for the other guys," Lilja said. "You have to be positive and give good feedback. It's like (a newspaper reporter) doing a whole story and learning the next day someone else was going to be covering a game. You just have to wait for your opportunity and when you get in just do your very best."

Many fans last memory of Lilja in the playoffs was when he lost the puck in his own end and it led to an overtime goal for Anaheim in Game 5 of the Western Conference finals series with the Ducks, who wrapped things up the next game.

"I don't think last year," Lilja said. "It happened. It's not supposed to happen."

Jawbreaker

Dan Cleary was free of the face shield at practice Thursday. He said after practice he'll go without Saturday.

"They said everything was good," Cleary said. "It was great protection and I think it saved me a few times."

Cleary has struggled offensively in the playoffs, with just one goal and one assist in 16 games. He had 20 goals and 22 assists during the regular season. A lot of that drop off could have been because of the contraption he wore to protect his jaw.

"I couldn't see below me feet," Cleary said. "I'd lose a lot of pucks in the corner and around the net. I'd lose sight of it for one second and the leverage you have against a defender is gone. (Losing it is) not going to be gun shy at all."

Choked up

Babcock needed a moment to collect himself after being asked if he had time to think what it would be like to see his name engraved on the Stanley Cup.

"When I saw it at the Hockey Hall of Fame I took a lot of time to read the names on it,' he said. "I'm not thinking about that, about my name…"

After taking a drink of water, Babcock finished with, "It would be nice."

xxx
    xxx's Avatar SBR PRO

my guess, he will be back for sure on game2