alard111
    alard111's Avatar Become A Pro!

hockey hero gone too soon

What a sad day for me. A man who I looked up to as an athlete tragically left us at the young age of 45.
    I wasn’t much of a hockey fan until I saw Bob Probert play for the Chicago Blackhawks. Probert wasn’t a flashy guy. He didn’t score a lot. In fact, many of you probably have no idea who he was. But one thing that Probert did do was fight. In fact, Probert finished with the fourth-most penalty minutes in NHL history.
    The reason I gravitated towards Probert wasn’t because I condoned violence but because as a young kid I was bullied. I was overweight and that’s the Mark of Cain amongst adolescents. And Probert was a guy who didn’t take crap from anybody. If one of his players got checked or attacked he was the first guy to defend them. He was like one of the Hansen Brothers from the movie “Slap Shot” in real life.
    I was such a fan of Probert’s I was able to track down his autograph on a hockey puck. Up until a month ago it was one of three coveted signatures I grabbed. His signed puck sits on my shelf along with a signed ball by Michael Jordan and a signed bat from Carlton Fisk. How’s that for a pantheon? Jordan, Fisk, and Probert. But that’s how much I loved watching the guy.
    Bob also battled drugs and alcohol addiction for many years and had several run-ins with the law so I don’t want to canonize him as some saint. But by all accounts he was clean and sober and had turned his life around. That’s why news of his death is even more tragic.
    As of now, reports are he complained of chest pains while boating with his family before dying in front of his wife and four children. The cause of death, as of now, has not been determined but it was far too young for him to go. No funeral arrangements have been made as I’m sure they are in shock over his death.
    As am I.

bigsmitty
    bigsmitty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 370

I agree, very sad. He was a crazy SOB in some regards but by all accounts a good person and humble. How he did so well scrapping against guys like Domi, Brashear, etc is beyond me. Guy could definitely fight but when he did his undressing routing on the ice he looked like a ninety pound weakling. Cool you got his autograph and hopefully he made a positive impact on sports fans everywhere. Cheers

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19669

Did drugs play a part in his death?

Yes -5000
    No +3000

clarkj2
    clarkj2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13573

Don't think drugs were a part of it...

JW Cash
    JW Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    Did drugs play a part in his death?

Yes -5000
    No +3000

Probert sounds like another Eddie Guerrero case...

Probert did have a very hot wife...

They didnt use a hearse for the funeral today....

His casket was fixed to a Harley and he arrived at the very
    same church he and the wife got married at 17 years ago....

Now that is sad....

whatsgood5
    Let's fuckin' do it
    whatsgood5's Avatar Become A Pro!

Don't remember much of the guy, but very sad indeed.

inflames
    inflames's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14616

RIP!

Lincoln73
    Lincoln73's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

the probert/domi fight trilogy was epic. Probert's you tube clips can entertain for hours.

Bones402
    Bones402's Avatar Become A Pro!

I need to look into this guys clips

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19669

Still remember Probert vs. Link Gaetz; great fight.