Login Search

Kovalchuk expected to resign with NJ

Last Post

Default Kovalchuk expected to resign with NJ

Although it's not official yet, TSN and other sources are reporting that Kovalchuk agreed to a 7 year, $60M contract with NJ. Although I would have loved to see him in LA I think that this will help give NJ a solid 1-2 punch. However, Kovy wanted to eventually win a Cup and I doubt that NJ can pull through with an aging Brodeur.

I've always thought of NJ as more of a "team" and kovy as more of an individual star player and not so much a team guy so this doesn't really seem to fit to me either. it's like managemnt felt obligated to keep him in NJ since they gave up so much to rent him for a month+

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
wonder what atl was smokin to give him up.
They couldn't afford to pay him the $10 million dollar salary the impending UFA was demanding. I still think Kovalchuk will play in the KHL next season, it's the only place he's going to get that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by OTL View Post
They couldn't afford to pay him the $10 million dollar salary the impending UFA was demanding. I still think Kovalchuk will play in the KHL next season, it's the only place he's going to get that kind of money.
I also think the same thing. There are just not enough teams in the NHL bidding for his service. The longer this drag on, the more likely I think he will sign with a KHL team.