Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Report: Berard tested positive for banned substance

TORONTO -- Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Bryan Berard never had a chance to make the United States Olympic hockey team.

Citing undisclosed sources, TSN of Canada reported on its Web site Thursday that Berard tested positive for a banned substance, meaning he is not allowed to participate in international competition for two years.

Invited to the U.S. Olympic evaluation camp this past summer, Berard reportedly underwent a drug test in November. The results came back positive for nandrolone, an anabolic steroid that is on the International Olympic Committee's list of banned substances.

Berard, who reportedly attributed the positive results to a supplement he took while training during the offseason, was not selected to Team USA's roster for the upcoming Winter Games in Torino, Italy.

According to TSN's sources, the NHL was informed of Berard's positive test results, which have no impact on the defenseman's current status in the league. Berard reportedly voluntarily took a drug test for the NHL in December, with the results being negative.

The first overall pick by Ottawa in the 1995 draft, Berard has nine goals and 18 assists in 40 games with Columbus this season.

The 28-year-old Rhode Island native, who suffered a career-threatening eye injury during the 1999-2000 season, has collected 68 tallies and 225 assists in 550 career contests with the New York Islanders, Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers, Boston Bruins, Chicago Blackhawks and Blue Jackets.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i was wondering who would be the first NHL'er to test positive under the new drug policies that are in the new collective bargining agreement.

Dead Money
    Dead Money's Avatar Become A Pro!

I thought the Nhl doesn't test for roids??

I think It petains to international competition. He will still play for Colombus???

I could be wrong though.

I just read about it..... Just started the new policy on Sunday.

Will be interesting to see how many are doping in the nhl.
    Last edited by Dead Money; 01-20-06 at 06:05 PM.

bigboydan

DM, that was part of the new collective bargining agreement i do believe.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

It was and they even delayed the start of testing.

bigboydan

thats what i thought, thanks for clarifying ILL.